collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 212 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12990
  • stats Total Posts: 130581
  • stats Total Topics: 18275
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Canadian Maritime Coin & Artifact Detecting  (Read 56081 times)

Offline GPEX admin

• Administrator
  • Province/State: Hope, BC Canada
  • Kudos: 52
  • Larry
    • GPEX Gold And Platinum Explorations
Canadian Maritime Coin & Artifact Detecting
« on: March 21, 2010, 12:50:36 PM »

While the metal detecting boom south of the International Border seemed prevalent since at least the later 70’s, for some reason it never took too great in most areas of Canada.  In years gone by I’d done my own fair share in Nova Scotia, up until the mid 80’s, realizing an abundance of neat rewards, but I knew of only a small handful of others province-wide who partook in the enjoyments.  Canada’s East Coast bears a very long and rich history, when it comes to findables, and indeed bears some admirable treasures to behold. Including shipwrecks.  However, I have many times wondered what the story has been or has developed to, over the years, for Nova Scotia and the other Maritime provinces.  Back in the 80’s, even Ontario never became big with it.  How well seated is detecting in your neck of the country?   And what are some of those neat little stories you’d like to share?
Somebody said that it couldn't be done
But he with a chuckle replied
That maybe it couldn't but he wouldn't be one
Who'd say so until he had tried.

Offline cole

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: fishing lake AB
  • Kudos: 0
Re: Canadian Maritime Coin & Artifact Detecting
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 07:54:25 PM »
i think im the only one within 100 km of me that even hads a detector out here! these so many places here to go that i dont think i willever get to them all.

Offline mark121268

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 03:22:13 PM »
hey there am in antigonish nova Scotia , would like to get some metal detecting friends in my area .

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Ontario, but also prospect in BC
  • Kudos: 39
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 07:19:04 AM »
Around me in southern Ontario, the obvious (currently in use) spots with large concentrations of people get detected frequently (beaches, parks, school yards, etc).  There are still lots of out of the way places or out of use places that may not have been hit or certainly not hit hard.  It is pretty easy to find clad coin, but more difficult to get onto older coins and jewellery - not impossible, but difficult.  The best jewellery comes out of the water and the best depth is shoulder deep.  There are a few places controlled by dams that are drained in the fall.  Where there are swimming areas, they get detected pretty hard immediately after the water is gone.  Of course, everyone's desire is to be the first one there.  Early morning you will sometimes see the "early birds".  In prime locations, I have also seen guys detecting at night after the crowds are gone, to preempt the "early birds".  One place that can hold interesting finds that appears to be overlooked is old bridges.  If the water is deep, they can be great places to dive for finding things that were tossed over the railing (just need to be careful of boats, water current and sometimes old fence wire).  One of the best engagement rings that I have found was by a bridge.  I expect it was either lost from someone who was jumping/swimming off the bridge or was so upset at her fiancé that she gave it the heave-ho into the water.

See my YouTube channel for fun amateur video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz8kX6AZOeZbRt0F9XqVJA

Offline mark121268

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 01:26:49 PM »
it hard going up here , there are tons of rock just under the grass , so for metal detecting takes long time to dig a hole . but the other day went to the pomquit beach with a strainer much easyer but when got close to the wet sand my ace 250 did not work all that well. so i deleted left of the 5 cent and the 2 from the far right , and lowered sensitivity to 3/4 got some solid  hits, but could not find it . :'( :'(

Offline mark121268

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 01:36:43 PM »
 sunshine have you tryed the sand banks , i use to live in Belleville ontario .some good pickers after a hot day .

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Ontario, but also prospect in BC
  • Kudos: 39
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 02:11:24 PM »
I only tried Sandbanks once.  I did not do very well.  There was so little trash in the water, that I suspected somebody else had been there just before me (and did an incredible job). 
See my YouTube channel for fun amateur video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz8kX6AZOeZbRt0F9XqVJA

Offline GoldRetrieving

• Kudos: 3
  • Gold Is Tried By Fire... Men By Adversity.
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 06:57:53 AM »
Just Starting the Metal Detecting Adventure in Nova Scotia  <-good_>