GOLD PROSPECTING FORUM
Last Shout - Posted by: mygrain - Friday, 19 December 2014 04:53
talk to claimer 88 he knows all about that creek
Welcome To The Canadian Gold Prospecting Forum.
Please consider registering to gain full access! - Its free and only takes a few seconds to complete - Click Here.

Gold Prospecting Forums, Gold Prospecting Forum

December 19, 2014, 12:57:46 PM *
A A A A
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Metal Detectors
News: ★★ Join now to access the new downloads section comprising of 52
(and growing) diy prospecting equipment plans, and educational materials. Just click register, make two posts and enjoy. It's that simple!!★★

Home   Blog Search Register  

GOLD PROSPECTING FORUM

Gold Prospecting Forum.

Gold prospectors forum

DIY mining equipment homemade prospecting tools.

Gold Prospecting Forums

GOLD PROSPECTING FORUM mining forum, canadian prospecting forum, american gold prospecting forum. GOLD PROSPECTING EQUIPMENT

GOLD PROSPECTORS NETWORK

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: drop riffle technology???  (Read 11442 times)
goldmann
Trade Count: (0)

Canada Canada

Province/ State: Alberta

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 1

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 03:53:05 PM »

Thanks VikingSniper, in that picture, the drop section between triangle wedge riffles seem very shallow in depth, and I do not understand all the numbers in the picture?

I see Calfornia Sluice Box(Jr., Stream, & GMS), US Prospector(G1 & G2), and Angus MacKirk's 'Omega' all have plastic drop riffles. But the 'Omega' is the only one with a combination of both drop and dual ramp riffles-two step ramp riffles(like used on the Angus MacKirk's river sluices and the Le Trap).

I have a Le Trap and have never owned or used a drop riffle sluice BUT I just ordered parts for two Calfornia Sluice Box highbankers and they have not come in the mail yet.

Anyone out there that has used drop riffles, how is their performance, and are you satisfied with them??

juu907
PPT Invited

United States United States

Province/ State: alaska

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 15

Awards Awarded to members who have more than 2000 posts Awarded to members who help to stop forum spam Awarded to members who have more than 1000 posts Awarded to members who won a competition on the forum Awarded to members who have more than 500 posts

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 05:13:38 PM »

goldmann; i have a cal-sluice gms and like it very well. drops beat hunns by a long shot as far as i am concerned.  happy hunting.   jerry
Doug Watson

Province/ State: Washington

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 5

My 30 day Activity
16%

Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 08:49:58 PM »

Bothe the LeTrap and Angus MacKirk sluices are drop riffle sluices. Work good too. Doug.

muconium
PPT Invited

Province/ State: Michigan

0.00 Nuggets

Awards Awarded to members who help to stop forum spam

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 08:47:44 AM »

The only sluice I own is a LeTrap and haven't seen the need to try anything else. In fact, can anyone tell me what the advantage of Hungarian riffles is? I know how they work, I'm just wondering if there is some practical advantage......

One of my assumptions of Hungarians is that you don't need to classify, but I'm not sure if that's right.......

Rusty dirt makes me drool.
juu907
PPT Invited

0.00 Nuggets

Awards Awarded to members who have more than 2000 posts Awarded to members who help to stop forum spam Awarded to members who have more than 1000 posts Awarded to members who won a competition on the forum Awarded to members who have more than 500 posts

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 09:32:07 AM »

mornin muconium. i think you will find that no matter what type of riffles you use you should always classify. with huns larger pebbles or rocks that dont roll right on through will disrupt riffle action and toss the gold right out the door. even though i dont have to pre classify for the drops in my gms all they have to do is get under the cross spraybar in the boiler box or i pick them up and tossem. the whole op goes much smoother if i classify down to 5/8 or 3/4  not only that that way i pack more pay and less junk. easier on this ol back. my 2 cents worth.   jerry  WOW JUST SPOTTED 4 CRISPY CRITTERS (oops i mean ) MOOSE IN THE YARD.
muconium
PPT Invited

Province/ State: Michigan

0.00 Nuggets

Awards Awarded to members who help to stop forum spam

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 09:24:37 AM »

Thank you, juu!! That has always been a lingering question of mine... There seems to be 2 types of prospector: Hungarian riffle w/ expanded metal and carpet, and then all the other options, including drop riffle.

Rusty dirt makes me drool.

garyww
PPT Invited

Province/ State: California

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 14

My 30 day Activity
0%

WWW Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 05:00:25 PM »

In general, traps perform best when the flow is relatively slow and shallow and the material is well classified. Many commercial sluices use drop riffles in the last few feet of a sluice that's equipped with conventional riffles as a final catch mechinism since the water velocity is decreased towards the sluice end. Hungarians are great where you're running a lot of velocity needed to process larger raw material. Both types of riffles will catch the same amount of gold if each one is set up to operate at their optimum efficiency. I typically carry both my MacKirk and a Keen a52 on every trip since each one is usuful for specific types of prospecting on different gradiants of streams with differing types of gravels. If you limit yourself to one type of sluice you're actually working at a handicap in some situations. The plastic sluices are so light it's no problem to just bungie them to the bottom of the heavier aluminum sluice to carry around as a single unit.
It really depends on whether your prospecting or mining and whether or not you're dealing strictly with ultra fines or a combination of particle sizes.
AceHand

Province/ State: WY

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 0

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2011, 07:59:03 PM »

Howdy Gang, new on this forum.
I've got a Danfromny drop riffle sluice that I tested at home against my old Gold King and the GK did a little better, but it worked ok. I have made a new recirculating setup with a 100 gallon horse tank and sump pump to use with full size sluices in the field. This is the cheapest of drop riffles sluices and results will vary with different brands. I'm not satisfied with my testing and will continue to test in the field. My point being, I've made another sluice stand to run two sluices one after the other to re-run all material to see what the first one missed. I've run this way in the creek and it made me decide to always, when I can, run two different sluices. Seems like a good way to double check the first sluice. Both can be angled independently. I'll post results at the end of the year. Maybe I'm wasting some time, but I like to experiment with this drop riffle. I just don't trust it yet, lol. I've also got an A52 I may throw in the mix.
Tom
juu907
PPT Invited

0.00 Nuggets

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2011, 08:26:50 PM »

welcome acer. never have seen a dan thingy but find some pics and wasnt impressed. i am a firm believer in drops but used mostly in a highbanker. there is very little slick area between the riffles and a think would keep material in too much of a turmoil to allow good settling of fines. i am sure it would catch those big nuggets though but is not the challenge. now if you are working in that kind of nugget country let me shoot you a deal. welcome and enjoy. lots of good folks here.   jerry

AceHand

Province/ State: WY

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 0

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2011, 08:48:51 PM »

Thanks Jerry,
That's a good point about turbulance and slick between drops. It was only some fine specks that were getting through it. I was really hogging the material to it at the time and that may have affected it. Here's a pic of the sluice and how I did my simple test. I added the apron to both sluices. The commercial tarp just snaps on. It makes connecting them easy. Round stock in the edges supports the apron sides. I classify right on the apron with a home made screen(if the diggin is close by).

What Dans sluice caught and the little found in the Gold King after it.

That's what I've found so far with this type of drop riffle. I'll have more to report next winter.

Tom

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: