collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

chekaracanada

Dot Guests: 167 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13006
  • stats Total Posts: 130877
  • stats Total Topics: 18308
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: photomicrographs or other close-up pictures  (Read 76473 times)

Offline GollyMrScience

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Near Edmonton Alberta
  • Kudos: 160
Re: photomicrographs or other close-up pictures
« Reply #200 on: May 01, 2010, 08:45:30 AM »
Finch when those little balls started showing up in significant numbers I knew it wasn't "normal" but it took almost a year of research to finally get a handle on it. Mostly is was a case of establishing with absolute certainty that contamination of the samples was not an issue. Of course we got the usual feedback like "It looks like welding spatter" (dingle balls to some people). Once we got past the contamination issue for the sample taking then the chemistry was credible. As in nobody had put thses spheres in the sample and now whatever chemistry they exhibited was acceptable as evidence in the investigation of origin. Next came micro-probe and other tests. The metallic iron and nickel were real clues and then a few exotoic chemistries were confirmed that moved the consideration off planet.
Exciting times - in a slow - considered -academic sorta way. The young Chinese PhD working on it actually gave me a "high five" - uncharacteristic exhuberance I suppose but clear evidence of his overwhelming excitement.  ;D
What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!

Offline DanBrunner

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #201 on: May 01, 2010, 06:26:09 PM »
Hello all, PopAndSon pointed me here from another forum.  Today is my first day here.  I just finished reading all 9 pages of this thread.  VERY intersting stuff.  Anyhow, I ended up here because I was trying to figure out what I had come across in one of my pans.  I took a closeup shot as best I could and this is what I came up with.

I'm trying to identify the golden balls in the mix.  At this point I'm guessing its just iron Pyrite.   They're non-magnetic, rest heavier than the black sands in my pan, and were taken from a pocket of "Blue Lead" gravels/sands.  I think after reading this board I'm going to have to go get one of those fancy microscopes so I can push in further.  I have (2) one ounce vials full of this stuff for future exploration.  Any ideas?

Oh also, I have some additional wire gold samples that I'll post from time to time just to keep the thread alive.  :)  Here's a couple to wet the appetite.

Offline Bill_Carson

• Kudos: 3
    • The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly
« Reply #202 on: May 02, 2010, 12:47:37 PM »
A small Platinum nugget? ... I found this in some test samples from a well known BC Gold Placer River (I cant say which one) ... the mini-nugget is heavy and sticks to the pan like Gold ... I checked the Platinum picts on Wikipedia, and some of them look similar ...
File:Platinum nuggets.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... my picts show a couple different profiles of the mini-nug sitting on top of a Penny ... do you guys think it's Platinum or something like Lead, Silver, or ? ...

There are 2 types of people in this world my friend; those with loaded guns, and those who dig.

Vikingsniper

« Reply #203 on: June 29, 2010, 08:59:50 PM »
Here is a sample of whats to come from Me  :)
Blacksand 150x

Vikingsniper

« Reply #204 on: June 29, 2010, 09:36:02 PM »
Mercury in an Old thermostat  <~ShOcK~> 10x,40x + some

Vikingsniper

« Reply #205 on: July 02, 2010, 10:28:42 AM »
Here is a Picker at 40x & 150x

Offline obdiah

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #206 on: July 24, 2010, 09:54:41 AM »
hello   enjoying all these pics  here's a few from a  coarse granular rock that I cant identify  haven't tested them but pretty sure there gold  all were took under a 60 x microscope  and are small  the micro scope is an intell qx3  usb microscope available on ebay for 15 to 30 dollars its a kids toy and low res but cheap . the ten and 60 x work OK the 200 x setting is not so great has top and bottom lighting too! had to download an updated driver for xp   still worth the nine dollars and shipping I paid  picture labeled gold 5 was a perfect right angle like a carpenters square picture only shows half of it   all came from the stony point area of north Carolina  about 8 miles from the hidinite NC emerald mines

Gear Pan
Gold Rat