collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

camper1chekaracanada

Dot Guests: 188 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13005
  • stats Total Posts: 130877
  • stats Total Topics: 18308
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: photomicrographs or other close-up pictures  (Read 76471 times)

Vikingsniper

Re: photomicrographs or other close-up pictures
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 12:25:59 PM »
Muconium and everyone else
I have done a fair amount of research about those Dinolite USB Digi Microscopes  <-yes_>
 {-down-} The Best Model to meet my Prospecting Needs
Dino-Lite Series Model : AD413T
•Handheld Digital Microscope
•Package includes both a standard open & sealed cover cap
•1.3M / Resolution 1280x1024,
•12~220X Variable Magnification
•Achieves effective magnification values of up to 330x w/
digital zoom (only available in VGA mode - 640*480)
•USB 2.0 Output

•Removable nozzles
•LED on/off controlled by software
•Accurate measurement w/ calibration features
About $450 CDN

Offline Old Newby

• Province/State: Winnipeg
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 01:15:07 PM »
Good Afternoon Folks; I found a kids toy called Eyeclops that does 200 -400 x magnification sold at Toys r us. One other item sold by London Drugs does 200 x a small usb device for 99.00 cdn. dollars Hope this helps. Ernie
Never to old to learn some thing new.

Offline johanssonsan

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Marsta Sweden
  • Kudos: 8
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 02:47:17 PM »
Go to ebay and you will find lots of those USB microscope. Go for 2.0mp as most of the cheaper ones is interpolating.
You risk to have to small file size. Pictures get grainy and get faded color.

Digivision USB Digital Coin Photo Microscope 2.0MP 200X - eBay (item 280445703892 end time  Jan-31-10 11:23:34 PST)

Offline finch68

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Chilliwack, BC
  • Kudos: 23
  • 50 years mining experience
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 08:08:39 PM »
Hi all:

Here are some pictures of garnet from the recreational panning site at Yale.  Please remember that these garnets are about 16 - 18 Tyler mesh (about 1000 micron) so they look like boulders on my lowest microscope magnification.  The rec site at Yale will yield 100's of these garnets in every pan.

This is a garnet with a particle of magnetite beside it.

Notice how rounded these garnets are.  They have been bouncing down the river from their source and getting rounded by abrasion.

This is a really pretty particle in reflected light ( as have the previous images been).  Lots of reflections from the surfaces.

Here is the same particle in transmitted light.  I shone a light through the particle from below to show the internal workings of the garnet.  It is actually very clear.

Garnets are typically 6 sided (3 unequal axes) but in the Fraser they tend to be round due to abrasion as the make their way down stream from their source.  Here is a garnet that has managed to maintain its 6-sided character.

Hope you like them.

finch68

Offline Greg in BC

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Dawson Creek
  • Kudos: 5
  • Golden memories are not always of gold.
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 07:07:12 AM »
These are awesome :)

Finch, how do you do the measuring?  Special software? That is a very handy feature.

Offline SeloamLakeGoldMiner

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Halifax Nova Scotia Canada
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 07:34:56 AM »
Heres a few I have taken with my 40X gemascope. I actually lucked out and got it for free from a friend 2 years ago on my trip to the PDAC. not exactly carry on luggage but the price was worth the effort

solitary gold grain found sluicing at Lower Caledonia Beryl Pegmatite/gold claim

Gold in quartz from Seloam Lake Gold Claim

More Gold from Seloam Lake

Calcite on Pegmatite

Gold on quartz, Seloam Lake Gold Claim

My Gemascope

Seloam Lake Gold on quartz

More Seloam Lake Gold on quartz

Ive got lots more so Ill post them when I get a chance

Offline finch68

• PPT Invited
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 10:41:35 AM »
In response to a couple of questions:

I bought my microscope from MicroscopeNet, a Canadian outfit.  While I bought mine via e-Bay, they can be reached at microscopenet.com.  My unit is a model MD828T.  Basically these are no-name Chinese manufactured units but extremely well built with reasonably high quality optical components.

The microscope has four objective lenses on a turret and two sets of eyepieces giving a total magnification range through the eyepieces of 40X to 1600X in eight increments.  It has a built-in 1.3 MP digital USB 2.0 camera (basically a web cam built in) with a resolution of 1280 X 1024 pixels.  The camera connects directly to my computer, so I can directly capture frames as I wish.  It has a built in variable intensity lamp for transmitted light work.  I use a high intensity desk lamp or a two-bulb (on flexible heads) LED lamp for reflected light work.

The software that came with the camera is really flexible and pretty easy to use.  By utilizing the calibration software I was able to take pictures of a tiny ruler, and tell the software what the dimension of the ruler was (2 mm).  This allows me to put dimension bars anyplace I like on the photomicrographs.  I like to work in microns, but could just as easily show dimensions in mm, inches, etc.  The drawing part of the software allows me to put different shapes on the images (for example to highlight a feature by drawing a box around it) and to place text on the images.  There is also the capability of superimposing a grid on the pictures if I wanted to do semi-quantitative assay by counting particles of various kinds in the grid squares.

The microscope cost $462 Canadian - all in (taxes, shipping, and so on).  It arrived at my door by courier 4 days after I ordered it.

Here is a picture of the microscope.

The "green thing" under the stage is a green bar coaster I use to give a nice green background in the pictures with relected light.  Or I can use a blue one for blue backgrounds.  The better to see the gold  ;D

Hope that helps explain what I am doing and using.

finch68

Offline finch68

• PPT Invited
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 08:39:28 PM »
Lest we forget what it is we are seeking, here are 3 photomicrographs of Fraser River Gold from around the Yale area.  Note the different colours.  This is due to staining with things like copper and (possibly) other metals.  Comments and descriptions of the staining from viewers would be appreciated.  There are a few specs of black sand, garnet fragments and quartz fragments as well - sloppy separation   <-d'oh->

By the way, the offer still stands - if anyone would like to see what their stuff looks like under the microscope send me a pm to set it up and I'll do it for you - no cost other than your stamp to mail the stuff to me.  I'll e-mail the pictures to you to maintain secrecy.  As I said before, I would like a general idea of where any samples come from so I can put together a placer microscope image catalog for my own use at least.

finch68

Offline PlacerPal

• Kudos: 36
    • Discover the Difference
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 09:30:11 PM »
Spectacular photos Finch. Please keep posting them.

If you don't get a lot of feedback, most likely we are stunned by the images and don't know what to say.
Never before have I seen online or in books such stunning photos about placer gold.
And the bonus is we know and can identify with the material and where it was sourced.

Thanks

:)

Offline finch68

• PPT Invited
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 09:49:58 PM »
Thanks for your kind words PlacerPal.  This type of stuff is part of my passion for placer gold.  These will be most useful if I (we) can identify the minerals involved.  I specifically request that folk looking at these images help me to identify the particles.  That is what will make them most valuable.

I'll keep posting.

finch68

Gear Pan
Gold Rat