collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 186 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13003
  • stats Total Posts: 130784
  • stats Total Topics: 18301
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Clean Gold Sluice A - Z  (Read 36842 times)

Vikingsniper

Clean Gold Sluice A - Z
« on: January 22, 2010, 05:52:58 PM »
I am starting this new thread to start talking about Clean Gold Sluices in Detail....I feel the need to start a new thread just for this subject....Mr. Plath is more then Welcome to Join In if he chooses to do so ?  
I don't know a whole lot about his system to be honest.

Offline Greg in BC

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Dawson Creek
  • Kudos: 5
  • Golden memories are not always of gold.
Re: Clean Gold Sluice A - Z
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 10:41:15 AM »
OK VS I'll bite  :) If what I write needs to be deleted or withdrawn due to legal action so be it. The information is in the patent that anyone can look up so is public.  I am NOT advocating people build their own from this information and believe that if people knew better how it worked then there would not be so much angst over the whole thing and likely Cleangold would sell a lot more product.

I am intrigued by the Cleangold system. I think that many systems work in many ways and have varying efficiencies. Cleangold seems to have it's benefits and I hope that Fossiker or David will join the discussion to keep things on track and let me know if I have anything wrong or out of place. I do not claim that Cleangold is better or worse than any other system and frankly am always amazed that anyone with any system (including other systems people have been discussing) would make such claims! Too many factors are involved to be the best at everything - there always trade offs.

I have one of the Cleangold prospecting sluices and have used it a few times but to be truthful have not given it a hearty workout it deserves. What I have observed is that it works by having magnetic material in a sheet form (sheets of magnetic material are created with the Pos and Neg poles alternating - in lines across the material) on the bottom of a trough (sluice).  Magnetic granules moving over the sheet form a 'bed' (looks something like corduroy once impregnated with magnetic granules) within the lines of magnetic force.  A stronger magnet would create larger/deeper bed than a weaker magnetic material. 

This bed of magnetic material is not solid.  There is room within the bed for fine gold to settle into and even displace some of the magnetic granules.

You do not clean up the bed whenever it becomes 'full' of magnetic granules.  You want the bed full of magnetic granules and that is indeed how it works.  When you get physically further from the magnetic source your lines of magnetic force will be weaker. We are talking millimeters here, or portions thereof, so what you have are little ridges of small magnetic granules that are held together by the magnetic lines of force from the magnetic material. The granules furthest away are held tenuously in the slurry and can be 'lost' or 'gained' or 'displaced' by heavier granules.

I have seen it collect very very fine gold when I tried it and I have seen some gold escape.  No idea of the % efficiency since it was bank run. Even on the cleanup sluice video on the Cleangold page (not sure if it is still there) they discuss loss %'s and runnign multiple times to recovery higher %.  Having said that it is also very quick to use and clean up and easy to do multiple runs.  You simply scrape the magnetic material off the magnetic sheet into your pan.  It is a very small volume of material so is easy to back pan. 

If you do not have magnetic minerals you are trying to recover (such as some platinums etc) then you can use a magnet to separate off the majority of heavy magnetic minerals other than your gold so you are left with nearly pure gold.  There will be some very small percentage of non magnetics that get trapped in the matrix as well.

When I took it out to try I started taking a small amount of magnetic sand from the last run to 'pre load' the sluice when I started.  That way it would be catching any gold right off the bat.  Otherwise you have a smooth sheet for your recovery.  it would depend on how much magnetic sand you have in your bank run and how long it would take to load the sluice to decide if this is necessary.

I can't confirm this so far but would assume from general common sense that you would not want to run large size gange material in your slurry or too much water flow (such as in a dredge sluice environment with large rocks and fast current) as that may abrade off your magnetic bed and cause some gold loss as that material gets pushed out the sluice. Used in a screened undercurrent or perhaps putting some 'slider bars' with the flow would help to stop the abrasion?

I am definitely looking to incorporate Cleangold into my fine gold sluice design.  To me it doesn't make much sense to have the same riffle style for umpteen feet so i am going to mix it up and include many styles of recovery. If a certain riffle style can't catch the size/shape of gold in the first foot or so then even if you have more length the gold particle is migrating through your system over time. To me it is better to have multiple types of recovery - each may be slightly better at a certain size/shape of particle recovery.

Before the Cleangold sluice came along I had tried magnetic material in a small sluice.  Problem was getting material that was strong enough (magnetically) and in a small size.  You have to buy in very large rolls. 

I don't personally think Cleangold is over priced any more than other mining equipment manufacturers out there. They have a niche product that they have spent time, money and energy developing, it seems to work well for it's application and if it works well will more than pay for itself with the new and easy recovery of very small gold that may have been missed by other recovery styles.  You don't get Keene, Dahlke, HonCoop or Proline etc for cheap either.

I hope this helps with the discussion. Take care get your plans together to get some gold this summer.

Offline PlacerPal

• Kudos: 36
    • Discover the Difference
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 11:06:40 AM »
So, if there are no magnetite granules or black sand the sluice will not work?

:)

Offline Greg in BC

• PPT Invited
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 11:42:12 AM »
PlacerPal - I suppose so, however I don't know too many areas without magnetics in the material when you are going for the very fine gold. From what I understand this system was developed to be used in areas with that very problem. Too many low value very heavy minerals which tend to lock up a normal sluice. This system uses that to it's advantage.

If you are in such a location with low magnetic then just pre charge with some magnetics - or use some other concentrator for that area since as we've discussed - not every system will work in every area.

Vikingsniper

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 11:53:24 AM »
Great information Greg  <-shock_>  {cool^sign} Well Done  {-applause-} {-applause-}

Offline PlacerPal

• Kudos: 36
    • Discover the Difference
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 12:06:52 PM »
PlacerPal - I suppose so, however I don't know too many areas without magnetics in the material when you are going for the very fine gold. From what I understand this system was developed to be used in areas with that very problem. Too many low value very heavy minerals which tend to lock up a normal sluice. This system uses that to it's advantage.

If you are in such a location with low magnetic then just pre charge with some magnetics - or use some other concentrator for that area since as we've discussed - not every system will work in every area.

Yes you are right Greg. I have a bag of Fraser River sand cons from one of my claims and while there does not
appear to be any black magnetite in the light blond sands, I tried some flexible magnet material in a plastic
bag and I got just enough black magnetite granules to produce some ridge type riffles.  <-good_>
Very interesting.

:)

Offline tomcat

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 12:42:09 PM »
Greg in BC
Great article...I had serious doubts about it...but I was not aware  of the magnetic separation strips...that makes things a lot more interesting and believable .

I couldn't see how a plain old fridge magnet would work, except load up and give you a chore to get the black sand off of it with the gold.

They would sell more if they would give us a little more INFORMATION I think we all all thought it was just a simple fridge magnet product.

I think they need a hot shot marketing guy...then they will sell a heap of them  <-good_>

thanks for that

Offline johanssonsan

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Marsta Sweden
  • Kudos: 8
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 12:34:46 AM »

Offline Greg in BC

• PPT Invited
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 12:04:24 PM »
Johansonsan, no that does not look to be a Cleangold sluice.  Looks like a miller type table (but with more water flow and deeper material) or chalkboard sluice. 

Vikingsniper

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 10:07:31 PM »
Here is a Radio interview with David Plath on the Laura Lee Show about clean gold system.
 {-down-}
Laura Lee Show Sustainable Gold

Gear Pan
Gold Rat