collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 156 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13047
  • stats Total Posts: 131587
  • stats Total Topics: 18398
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: BC rec claims  (Read 38811 times)

Offline Guest

• New user
  • Province/State: bc
  • Kudos: 1
Re: BC rec claims
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 12:11:38 PM »
Nickmarch if you are wanting to know how to dicpher the MTO site I posted a PDF file on this thread for newbies...............Guest

Offline Greg in BC

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Dawson Creek
  • Kudos: 5
  • Golden memories are not always of gold.
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 10:52:56 PM »
Well done Greywolf that is some great info there.

Hi Lo Silver - I found the same as you that the layers are very hard to distinguish.  I found that turning layers off and on you get a better sense of which one is which.

Offline rockpup

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Lethbridge, Alberta.
  • Kudos: 7
  • Yar der be gold in dem pans!!
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 02:32:45 AM »
I have a ? I know you can look for nuggetts in a rec site with a metal detector(says so in the mto).
But would there be any nuggets to be found at any of these rec areas?Im guessing its all finer gold in these locations?

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 12:15:53 PM »
What Do I Need for Recreational Gold Panning?

Now it is possible to get the GPS coordinates by selecting the area measuring option and then moving the cursor to the corners of the claim and clicking on the individual corners, these will be in Longitude and Latitude measurements which you can write down and program into your hand held GPS device.  Or you can copy and paste the whole arrangements to your copy of the map for us in the field.  This will aid you in the field so that you donít end up being accused of claim jumping.

Now on this MTO map you are able to see the different private, Indian Reservations, Placer Claims and there is any area along the Fraser River that is also a Recreation Reserve, this doesnít mean that you cannot stake a claim here, what it does mean is that the surface rights of recreation users must be respected and allowed.
The pink area are open to placer claim staking and all other areas other than the before mentioned Park, Indian Reservation, Treaty Settlement are open for Prospecting as long as you obey the rules and some simple common courtesyís.

Greywolf  

Have added a PDF file so that there are acouple of picutres to explain everything may take some time to open

Great info Grey, I understand it's from last year but I recently picked up an area that has a recreational panning reserve on it so your post to others about working in these claims is much appreciated, thank you.

Jennifer

Offline scar420

• Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 7
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 06:45:41 PM »
I should mention, Fort Steele / Wildhorse Creek has 2 large panning reserves, Fisherville historic site and the entire area where the bridge crosses the Wildhorse (near the campground). For some reason the government website does not list both.

Offline borttock

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 07:24:00 PM »
has any one done any panning at the Princeton rec site.
looking to take the boys out before summer ends, and would like them to find a bit of colour

Offline Traveller

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Queen Charlotte Islands, British Columbia
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 11:21:30 AM »
Question
The area I wish to do recreational placer mining is a beach placer on the West Coast of B.C. The placer is below the high tide mark and all of the land above high tide is provincial park.
What are the restrictions here and who would be the body in charge of this area?
Regards
Bob
"He was always cold, but the land of gold seemed to hold him like a spell.......Though he'd often say, in his homely way, that he'd "sooner live in Hell"......"
~~Robert W. Service~~

"When you live next to the graveyard, you can't cry for every funeral."   -  Russian Proverb

Offline PlacerPal

• Kudos: 36
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 12:19:49 PM »
Florencia Bay formerly Wreck Bay eh?  ;)

Can't do any prospecting, sampling, panning etc. inside a park and especially
not a National Park. However next time, if ever, we are there I will probably pick
up a ziplock bag or ice cream pail of the black sands for "academic research"
in order to confirm the historical reports and speculation that the gold came
down from up near Kennedy Lake via that usually dry or only damp old creek bed.  ;D

:)

Offline Traveller

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Queen Charlotte Islands, British Columbia
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 02:53:26 PM »
Hello PlacerPal
LOL Close but no cigar.
Try a little bit further north on the Queen Charlotte Islands.
The main question is whether or not the powers of a provincial park extend below the high tide mark or not.
Regards
Bob
"He was always cold, but the land of gold seemed to hold him like a spell.......Though he'd often say, in his homely way, that he'd "sooner live in Hell"......"
~~Robert W. Service~~

"When you live next to the graveyard, you can't cry for every funeral."   -  Russian Proverb

Offline PlacerPal

• Kudos: 36
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2010, 06:53:19 PM »
Darn - no cigar to shred and put into my pipe!

Yes there were only 2 recorded black sand beach placers in B.C.
Wreck Bay which was heavily worked by the patient Chinese and the east coast
of Graham Island, Queen Charlottes. Have not been up to Graham Island
lately or since the region came under the control of the modern day Haidas,  
the region is now called Haida Gwaii and commercialized by the Haidas.

Don't know anything about a National Park now at Graham Island but with experience
working with the Federal bureaucracy I expect they have covered all the possible unwanted
uses of the park. Best to ask the local park people if the low tide beach is within the park.
From what I have read in the B.C. EMPR historical bulletin No. 21 of 1946 and other related
bulletins, both the wind and wave action are necessary for the formation of beach placers.
Other readings indicated the beach placer is at or very near the high tide line on the beach
where the black sand, gold and other heavies have been sorted by gravity.

Quote from Bulletin No. 21

"                                           BEACH PLACERS

Beach placers are formed by a combination of the concentrating action of long-
shore drift, currents, tides, and waves upon gold-bearing sand sand gravels. Local
concentrations of gold and black sand are formed only when the wind and the waves
are from particular directions. Concentrations rich enough to be worked are usually
small, and considerable difficulty is often experienced in separating the exceedingly
small, rusty flake gold from the magnetite sand. There are beach placers at Wreck
Bay, Vancouver Island, and on the east coast of Graham Island."

Or find another undiscovered black sand beach placer not within a park or controlled by
the Haida. (See several up for sale in Alaska and one complete with a landing strip.)  <-yes_>

:)