collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Woodspirit

Dot Guests: 198 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12992
  • stats Total Posts: 130653
  • stats Total Topics: 18283
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Writing an article about western N. American diamond finds-need your help!  (Read 5668 times)

Offline Diamondhunter

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 1
Hi all

I've been writing an article about diamond finds in the western parts of N. America. If anyone has an interesting tidbit or isolated find can you please reply or PM me? My diamond dredging career got started on our Yuba claim when we first found a diamond accidently 15 years ago. I would love to hear your stories to add to the article. I've posted on other forums so hopefully I will get some great feedback. I don't need exact locations just in general so no worries about secret spots being revealed. Sorry for the trouble.

Regards,

DH

Offline Guest

• New user
  • Province/State: bc
Diamondhunter,

How about posting some pictures of some of the alluvial diamonds you have recovered and maybe some of your techiques that are used, would fine that real interesting, and possibly useful, have some ground up here with garnets, gold and kimberlite...........Guest

Offline Diamondhunter

• PPT Invited
Diamondhunter,

How about posting some pictures of some of the alluvial diamonds you have recovered and maybe some of your techiques that are used, would fine that real interesting, and possibly useful, have some ground up here with garnets, gold and kimberlite...........Guest

Can do, hopefully they won't be too boring. I have some pics in my profile already.

Offline Johnny

• Province/State: Westminster, CO USA
  • Rocky Mountain Adventure Guide
    • Learn Gold Prospecting
Re: Writing an article about western N. American diamond finds-need your help!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 09:15:56 AM »
Howdy DH, Dan Hausel and I have added a 3 day field trip to Atlantic City/Iron Mountain for the 16,17,18th of July. A whole 'nuther kimberlite/ lamphorite field discovered but completely UNPROSPECTED.
Make it 10 days, Come for both field trips and hit Cheyenne Frontier Days in between.

Offline Yukon Digger

• Province/State: Yukon Territory
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 09:32:51 AM »
Hope these links working, if not just search for them at the Yukon Geological Survey website found via. Government of Yukon - Government of Yukon - Government of Yukon
The Cache Creek Terrane is a good starting point for diamond potential.

RPAS - NRC Research Press

http://ygsftp.gov.yk.ca/publications/yplacer/2006_placer_diamonds.pdf

http://www.emr.gov.yk.ca/mining/pdf/map_diamond_notes.pdf

Offline juu907

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 16
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 11:27:16 AM »
havent had time to check your links but i assume the cache creek you refer to is in canada. kinda odd because my claims are in the cache creek area in alaska and also known for diamonds.   jerry

Offline Diamondhunter

• PPT Invited
This is the first forum where folks have unanimously agreed that there are diamonds in Alaska. Certainly seems like there could be something of interest there. Very close to the Canadian shield geology.

Offline Diamondhunter

• PPT Invited
Howdy... you should check out GemHunter.webs.com tons of info on Diamond finds... CO, WY, KS, prolly more.
Hope all goes well at your house!
Happy Trails,
Johnny

Thanks Johnny

Offline Johnny

• Learn Gold Prospecting
There arn't any diamonds in Colorado and everybody knows it! How do they know this? Way back around the turn of the century a couple of con men went to Amsterdam and got a bunch of cast off gems from the diamond cutters there. They took them to Moffat County Colorado and salted an area near what is now "Diamond Mtn."
They went to SanFrancisco and went to the bank where they opened a safety deposit box. Naturally they "let it slip" that they were prospectors and had found diamonds. The bank tellers were very helpfull in spreading the rumor so they were already known when they brought their diamond sample in for assay.
Sure as heck the stones are diamonds all right... the assayer sent them to New York to Tiffany and Co for confirmation. Naturally Tiffany wanted in on this diamond mine discovery and he got ahold of W. R. Hurst. The two gillionares invested in the mine claims and the con men took off with the proceeds... back to Kintuckey or that area if I rememeber right.
The head of the Official Government Survey field trip to map the 40th parallell was very insulted that his guys didn't find any diamonds and as they were the "experts" of the day. Because of this they re-examined the stones and closely checked the samples from Moffat County. Some of the "raw" stones had been partially cut in Amsterdam!
The jig was up! There was a lot of publicity about the hoax, Herst and Tiffany got took for big bucks.
Ever since that incident there have been no Diamonds in Colorado.
Naturally I paraphrase the whole story here. Find most of the details at Learn Gold Prospecting! How and Where to find Gold and Gems! The Great Diamond Hoax
Happy Trails All,
Johnny

Offline Johnny

• Learn Gold Prospecting
Wonderful News! Found the guy that owns the mineral rights to most of the ranches along the state line. Prolly not to hard for us to gain access to several ranches and no hassels with the FS.
Happy Trails,
Johnny
Can't wait to get back to BC where we've got 5 miles of excellent gold and platinum claims to work!
Check out the details at Learn Gold Prospecting! How and Where to find Gold and Gems!