collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Hardpan82

Dot Guests: 218 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13068
  • stats Total Posts: 131919
  • stats Total Topics: 18428
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Micro Flood Gold  (Read 87752 times)

Offline Bill_Carson

• Kudos: 3
    • The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly
Re: Micro Flood Gold
« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2010, 05:49:11 PM »
>>>>> This thread is about what you find on a sandbar in a waterway. <<<<<

Thats basically what the contest was originally envisioned upon.
There are 2 types of people in this world my friend; those with loaded guns, and those who dig.

Offline GollyMrScience

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Near Edmonton Alberta
  • Kudos: 160
« Reply #111 on: January 15, 2010, 05:50:59 PM »
There is a distance between bank run and final gold in hand.
One piece of equipment might move way more material but have a lower recovery rate. Actual gold recovered in a certain time would not be a good measure otherwise a Ross Box moving 300 cubic yards per hour could win.
I know that is an exageration of scale from what we are talking but I use it to illustrate my point.
I would like to see some way to address the whole picture.
That would need to account for volume per time versus recovery percentage versus amount of work to get to final gold.
For instance - a jig might have excellent recovery but leave you with a ton of cons to process to get to the gold while a centrifuge might recover as well or better but only have 20 kg of cons to process for the gold recovered.
A sluice might have a lower percentage recovery rate but the concentration ratio and the advantage that brings to the gold recovery process downstream might drag it back into contention.
It brings to a head the whole process. A small miner might consider a jig in his operation only to find that the massive amounts of cons to deal with force him to consider a significant investment in gold seperation technology.
I don't have a unifying theory yet and I am just waving my arms around but I would like to see the whole process as part of the equation.
What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!

Offline willthedancer

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Portland OR, USA
  • Kudos: 6
  • All my hair fell through.
« Reply #112 on: January 15, 2010, 06:03:03 PM »
I am sure that we can come up with an equitable formula to judge the contest by. There is a certain amount of annoyance value to be noted if the judge is stuck panning a whole bucket of quasi-cons. I did not want to make this a panning contest, so I suggested that the judge do it. That will make it consistent as well. It may also be put into the formula as a concentration ratio.
Naps are wasted on toddlers, only an adult can appreciate them. Looking for mine now.

Offline Bill_Carson

• Kudos: 3
    • The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly
« Reply #113 on: January 15, 2010, 06:05:04 PM »
>>>> One piece of equipment might move way more material but have a lower recovery rate <<<<<

Bear in mind that most of the true sand bars along the Fraser already consist of mostly just fine sand ... if someone could reverse-engineer a gemini table for under $1,000 ...  a guy would almost  be able to just clean their sand, and puts runs of classified -30, -50 and -100 sand in, and come out without needing a huge con clean up.

Machines requiring a huge con clean up might be at a potential disadvantage on a true sand bar vs. machines that can process lots of sand and separate most of the micro gold from the sand at the same time, without needing a lengthy clean up.

The clean-up process should be part of the contest run time, IMO.
There are 2 types of people in this world my friend; those with loaded guns, and those who dig.

Offline willthedancer

• PPT Invited
« Reply #114 on: January 15, 2010, 06:07:22 PM »
>>>> One piece of equipment might move way more material but have a lower recovery rate <<<<<

Bear in mind that most of the true sand bars along the Fraser already consist of mostly just fine sand ... if someone could reverse-engineer a gemini table for under $1,000 ...  a guy would almost  be able to just clean their sand, and puts runs of classified -30, -50 and -100 sand in, and come out without needing a huge con clean up.

Machines requiring a huge con clean up might be at a potential disadvantage on a true sand bar vs. machines that can process lots of sand and separate the micro gold from the sand at the same time, without needing a lengthy clean up.

The clean-up process should be part of the contest run time, IMO.

Yes, I agree totally. At the end of the time limit you put your cons on the table for the judge.
Naps are wasted on toddlers, only an adult can appreciate them. Looking for mine now.

Offline NickMarch

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 7
« Reply #115 on: January 15, 2010, 06:08:36 PM »
Gollymrscience,  Thats why I say anything goes and let the voters decide.

Willthedancer, I can't get to BC but I can use a pre measured amount of gold mixed into any amount of soil to see how fast and how much gold is recovered.  Like a gram in 5 or 10 buckets of unclassified soil.  See how fast I can process a ton and see how much of the gram I get back.  

Two hours is too long for me.  There is no gold that I can get to here in NJ.  I'd need dump trucks full of soil to run for two hours.  

Offline willthedancer

• PPT Invited
« Reply #116 on: January 15, 2010, 06:13:35 PM »
Gollymrscience,  Thats why I say anything goes and let the voters decide.

Willthedancer, I can't get to BC but I can use a pre measured amount of gold mixed into any amount of soil to see how fast and how much gold is recovered.  Like a gram in 5 or 10 buckets of unclassified soil.  See how fast I can process a ton and see how much of the gram I get back.  

Two hours is too long for me.  There is no gold that I can get to here in NJ.  I'd need dump trucks full of soil to run for two hours.  

You I would trust perhaps, but this needs to happen in person. What is to keep the unscrupulous from salting their pan, or editing their run time, or any other manner of chicanery. Think of some of the gold panning tv shows you have seen......

Offline NickMarch

• PPT Invited
« Reply #117 on: January 15, 2010, 06:16:35 PM »
Definitely on continuous uninterupted video.

Offline willthedancer

• PPT Invited
« Reply #118 on: January 15, 2010, 06:19:44 PM »
Definitely on continuous uninterupted video.

The other issue with that is the fact that everyone needs to run the same material to have a fair test.

Independent studies require a chain of custody for all materials involved. No less here.

Offline NickMarch

• PPT Invited
« Reply #119 on: January 15, 2010, 06:29:17 PM »
Who's going to send me material and how much can they possibly send?  5 gallon bucket?  Using NJ soil there is no gold except for whatever pre-measured amount.  

Using anything from gold bearing areas there could be a lot of gold, a little gold or no gold.  There could be a lot of gold and nothing recovered.  There could be a little gold with all recovered.  There is no real way to see how effective any one process is without a pre-measured amount.  

What kind of material sand, dirt, clay, rocks, pebbles, classified, not classified, ect doesn't matter to me.  I'll do it all!

This is why I think anything goes is the way to go.  The voters will decide.

Gear Pan
Gold Rat