collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 184 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12981
  • stats Total Posts: 130391
  • stats Total Topics: 18246
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Micro Flood Gold  (Read 85451 times)

Offline sluicedog

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 1
Re: Micro Flood Gold
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2010, 09:23:34 PM »
Idaho....cough...cough...hummm I sort of remember the 60s .....it's a bit of a fogg  <-hypnotized-> <-hypnotized->  <-good_>

The flashbacks  <~ShOcK~>  ;D :)

What blog,,,,, :o ^#! <-thinking-> <-dont~know->

Offline IdahoBob

• Province/State: Lewiston, Idaho
  • Kudos: 6
    • Bedrock or Bust
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2010, 09:29:51 PM »
My blog is hyperlinked in the last line of my original post but to make it easy for you I'll post it again  <-good_>
Bedrock or Bust

Offline willthedancer

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Portland OR, USA
  • All my hair fell through.
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2010, 09:32:01 PM »
Sluicedog,

I would refer you to paper SP 87 from State of California, on placer recovery methods. Its good.

Another good study is by Randy Clarkson called 'Placer Gold Recovery Research'.

Both are real eye openers about how much gold goes out the pooper  from sluice boxes, and how to catch fines.
I would love to take the tails from sluices and class them right into my centrifuge...
Naps are wasted on toddlers, only an adult can appreciate them. Looking for mine now.

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2010, 10:14:41 PM »
Howdy All,
I thought I would pass along my latest kick in gold prospecting - looking for micro flood gold in rivers.

The Fossicker

Thanks for the info on your latest adventure, may you find your fortune in American rivers everywhere. :)

Offline willthedancer

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Portland OR, USA
  • All my hair fell through.
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2010, 10:19:24 PM »
Feeling a little provincial there Jen?   ;)                                                               lol!!!@*
Naps are wasted on toddlers, only an adult can appreciate them. Looking for mine now.

Offline Guest

• New user
  • Province/State: bc
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2010, 10:34:52 PM »
Something that may explain why the fine gold seems to occur in the top six inched only......Guest

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2010, 10:38:45 PM »
Feeling a little provincial there Jen?   ;)                                                               lol!!!@*

(Giving Will a hug as she writes the reply... nothing personal, my comments aren't about American's (I am one after all), they're about certain powers to be in govt. and their beliefs)

Yup, there's a reason why I gave up everything I owned in America, including a 6 figure salary to return home to Canada. I'd rather be jobless, broke and homeless sitting on the edges of the Fraser River with a gold pan in my hand than sitting at a desk of one of America's biggest defense contractors knowing that the software I was working on was making me rich but was going to cost an innocent Iraqi, Afghan, Yemenis boy or girl their life.

My signature line says it all (and if it's needed to be said, the statement in my signature line is MY feelings, not those of this board or the membership there of).

:)
Jen

Offline GollyMrScience

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Near Edmonton Alberta
  • Kudos: 160
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2010, 09:09:39 AM »
Another recovery option would be along the lines of some of the rocker designs that Chuck has been developing. Slower than a sluice but better efficiency with a minimalist approach to operation and infrastructure.
What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!

Offline fatkat

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2010, 12:51:35 PM »
This is very interesting ...the larger portion of gold in the uk is micro ..ie not many nuggets

I too have seen the coble layer on gravel bars ....and after much thinking  came to the conclusion allready proposed !  least my logic is heading in the right dirrection !

I've built a simple recurculating mini sluice to seperate the black sand and micro gold ...I'm finding in a river close to home ...

the sluice is a u shaped gutter made of plastic about 3" dia   currently a 1m length ..though I'm thinking of cutting into two and sort of high baking them to save space .  In the gutter is cheap rubber car mat this is made of 1cm sqares seperated by a 3mm ridge  around the square ...  the whole is set over a bucket containing a  500L per hour electric pump ...the flow is not great   but you need to dam the end to get a nice steady flow rather than the pumps velocity ....

panning produces about a 1000ml of cons ..theses are feed to the mini sluice using a desert spoon .....it takes about five minutes to send the lot through then I leave the pump running for about 20 .....I then clean up the sluice and get about 10ml of black sand and hopefully gold ...in most case only three or four grains at about 0.2mm dia ....I'm nolw upto about 50 grains ..the british geolgic survey found one grain when they tested the gravels...so I'm ahead of the game !

though this is not strictly flood gold .....its origins are the red trassic sediments ...thought to be from precipitation of dissolved gold in sea water in a very high saline solution ...Which suggests that there loads of gold in the streams of the uk midlands  thats just not been see as its very small !  several of the grain show a crystaline form which  does lead me to think that the precipitation idea might hold water ...

Offline The Fossicker

• CGPF Sponsor
  • Kudos: 7
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2010, 08:07:58 PM »
Howdy All,
Wow! looking at all of the replies, it looks like I've hit on a subject that interests a lot of us gold seekers. Okay let's get down to it. First I will qualify my equipment. As no big surprise to some of you, I use the Cleangold System for micro gold recovery. As like many of you, I was interested in retrieving that small and micro gold you see in the black sand and gravels. This led me to start looking at the different systems available that could achieve this goal without necessarily breaking my piggy bank. Many of these systems have, and are discussed on this Forum. In fact one of these systems (chalk board) was interesting to me as a possible way to attack this problem. I picked this because I figured a way to classify the particles to be fed into it in such a way to possibly eliminate much of the black sand problem. While researching this method, I was approached by a man at one of the Gold Shows I do. He asked me if I would like to see something interesting. That demonstration was the Cleangold Prospector Sluice. It took me about 1 minute to realise that whatever I had in mind to achieve the results I was looking for was solved with this system. Since that time I have become a distributor and innovator of the Cleangold System and use it regularly to retrieve fine and micro gold under various conditions. Most of the technology in the Cleangold System is fairly straight forward and many of the techniques over the years have been worked out to a fair degree by the inventor, David Plath who has the Patent. One interesting point about his invention is that there are people running around who use this system and claim that it's their idea or that theirs is different. These folks are rip offs (you know who you are) and they are setting themselves up for a law suite! Meanwhile, the Cleangold System is being used all over the world by professional mining operations (including hardrock) except here, which for some reason is not taking note of this new economical way of retrieving micro gold without the hassle of black sand build up. Go figure.... So much for the moment about Cleangold. Now onto the subject of finding micro gold.

I usually look for micro gold and platinum on the ocean beaches though my latest kick is the rivers. Normally I seek out black sand layers as much of the time micro gold collects there. This is not the only place micro gold will collect though, so sometimes when I find regular placer gravels of flood gold I'll classify the material and run it through. At the beginning of this thread I mention doing gravel bars at the mouth of rivers. I was set back some by there only being micro gold in the first inch and not in the rest of these high dunes covered by cobbles. After thinking about it, I think Golly Mr. Science has it right on why this is happening. By the way Golly, I did trench that sand bar to flat ground and 2 feet past that to be sure - almost nothing showed up. I talked to David Plath about this and he said about the same thing you did. Good on yea!  To answer about using felt, hemp, cough, cough, or what else not, is used in many parts of the world to collect small gold. In fact hemp was used by the early prospectors of Japan as a Sluice! By the way Jen , there is micro gold in every major river system in the world - not just America. One last tid-bit. Using the Randy Clarkston method works well, but only to 100 mesh. Let's keep this thread going - I think we're all learning something from it and black sand gold is an interesting subject. Right? Cheers.

The Fossicker

Pyramid Pro Pan" width="468" height="60" border="0

Gear Pan
Gold Rat