collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 128 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12938
  • stats Total Posts: 129756
  • stats Total Topics: 18147
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Micro Flood Gold  (Read 83706 times)

Offline willthedancer

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Portland OR, USA
  • Kudos: 6
  • All my hair fell through.
Re: Micro Flood Gold
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 11:16:24 AM »
I'm a centrifuge guy myself. Jigs are slick, but it would require some fairly industrial fabrication equipment to whip one up from what I have seen. Not something to backpack in either. A flat sluice with magnetic sign on the bottom for riffles is pretty good, but classification is key as GMS said. Nothing bigger than the 20 mesh should be allowed onto the magnetic riffles.
Naps are wasted on toddlers, only an adult can appreciate them. Looking for mine now.

Offline GollyMrScience

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Near Edmonton Alberta
  • Kudos: 160
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 05:02:14 PM »
I really like centrifuges and have worked with most of the commercial ones and several custom fabricated designs over the years.
The non water injected type might have some application in this format. Mosty because of cost and ease of operation.
Centrifuges get top markes for upgrade ratios compared to jigs. Many jig operations run their con to a centrifuge as the next step to get a richer con.
Many of the other commercial systems for centrifuges are mega expensive for a hand shovel operation.
There are many jig designs out there and some would be fairty easy to have built but even a small system is still not easy to drag into the middle of nowhere.
What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!

Offline sluicedog

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 05:29:28 PM »
This seems to be a closely guarded secret  could GMS and Will care to share some of this knowledge or should I just take up basket weaving  ^#!

sluicedog
 :)

Offline Sleeping Village

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 06:04:43 PM »
Cool thread.

Makes me wonder, though... Is there really enough micro gold to make it worth while when we should be able to acquire and work a deposit that's potentially richer?

Maybe only certain areas? And for sure, if you could capture the micro gold as well as the bigger stuff it would only increase overall efficiency, and make better of your time spent...

Offline Guest

• New user
  • Province/State: bc
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 07:03:11 PM »
Just a thought or two on micro or fine gold, (A)nuggets are harder to find than diamonds,(B)fine and micro gold make up in the area of 99% of all the alluvial golds,(C) if you can catch and recover fine and micro gold you can catch and recover all...............at least that makes sense to me ;D....Guest

Offline willthedancer

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Portland OR, USA
  • All my hair fell through.
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2010, 07:58:25 PM »
We here at Epiphany Mining are just finishing up our centrifuge prototype and expect to finish up beta testing this week. It will catch face powder fines. It is portable - 150 lbs, and is gas powered. We will be field testing it on a bar that has pretty rich fines down here within the next couple of weeks.

Wish us luck. We intend to have them for sale later in the year.
Naps are wasted on toddlers, only an adult can appreciate them. Looking for mine now.

Offline IdahoBob

• Province/State: Orofino, Idaho
    • Bedrock or Bust
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2010, 08:16:34 PM »
OK, my turn. I've been dealing with fine gold for several years now.
Our river gold runs anywhere from -20 to -300. You retreive it from the first 6 inches and that's it. No need to threaten China. I modified my Keene A52 sluice box by adding felt to the flare.
I also added a spray bar. I don't run riffles, just the felt followed by deep V rubber mat.
Clean up is similar to using a Le Trap...tilt to one side and wash it out.
After running my material through this setup all summer I removed the felt and torched it in a steel pan. I blue-bowled the incinerated remains and discovered thousands of pieces of micro gold. The micro gold gets into the felt and there's no way to remove it by means other than torching. The fiber size of felt most closely matches that required to catch gold of that size. Much like miners moss has a very large open weave for the larger gold.
If I was to hunt for nothing but -100 mesh gold, I'd line the entire sluice with felt and nothing else. When your felt starts to tint yellow, it's time to torch.
You can find more info with pics on my Bedrock or Bust blog.

Bob

Offline Guest

• New user
  • Province/State: bc
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2010, 08:22:31 PM »
Okay IdahoBob,

The prove is in the pudding they say, how much gold in grams or oz did you get from your felt from how many yards of materials washed , I'm curious how well this system would work, you may be on to something there...Guest

Offline sluicedog

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: BC
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2010, 08:30:25 PM »
IdahoBob....about time you pitched in  <-good_>  ;D <-laugh-> :)

A fellow I know uses potatoe sack...hemp or burlap...what ever you want to call ...dirt cheap.
He uses about 6 layers and stitches them together at the top ...then ...like you burns it.
Have you tried the hemp? or is felt the answer ?

Offline IdahoBob

• Province/State: Orofino, Idaho
    • Bedrock or Bust
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2010, 08:45:51 PM »
Greywolf...I have never kept gold seperated by size so I have no idea of quantity.
Sluicedog...Hemp, yeah I can just see myself burning that and getting flashbacks from the 60's.  ;)
Oh, Sluicedog, check out my "Dog Gone Sluice" on my blog...seems appropriate with your handle.

Gear Pan
Gold Rat