collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 137 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12938
  • stats Total Posts: 129756
  • stats Total Topics: 18147
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: One of these rocks are not like the others... (identifcation assist plz)  (Read 236 times)

Offline ReedKidd

• Province/State: Pennsylvania
  • Kudos: 1
Hello Folks,

I was hiking in upper Pennsylvania, Tioga State Forrest, and hiked up an incline to check the local geology.  I was surrounded by shale, slate and over-burrden and was just about to turn around when I saw this specimine.  Does not seem to contain any ferrous metal as a strong magnet had zero attraction.  Pictures are below and as you can see, pretty consistent texture and structure.  Any idea what it may be?  (10.8cm (4.25") in width and .664kg (1.46lbs) in weight)

Thank you in advance for  any input you have.

IMG_1519.jpgIMG_1520.jpgIMG_1521.jpgIMG_1523.jpgIMG_1527.jpg

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Ontario, but also prospect in BC
  • Kudos: 34
I used to bow hunt Tioga.  Rifle hunt if I didn't fill my tag.  I only found colours there.  Still, might be some good panning.  The rocks you found, I am not so sure. 
See my YouTube channel for fun amateur video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz8kX6AZOeZbRt0F9XqVJA

Offline JOE S (INDY)

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Trapper Creek, Alaska with Winters in Idaho
  • Kudos: 71
  • Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes
So, OK, I was born and spent 19 years in "The Land of Pa" and during that time I crawled over the entire state looking at every type of rock that I could find.  That rock is a pretty familiar looking type. 

You mentioned shale - pretty much what this is (unless I'm fooled, that is  ::)  ).  The flat "planes" are most probably sediment layers which often shear that way.  Another way they could have fractured that way would be either trapped water freezing or just a glacier crushing down on it.  In my experiences, the dark brown color is a result of Iron Oxide (rust) in the ground water, with everything pretty well heated by a little thermal activity.

Yep, heavy, non-magnetic, fracture planes, Iron stained would all fit.

Soaking the rock in a sun warmed commercial rust remover bath (CLR or such) for a while (who knows - maybe even weeks?) should remove the outer stain letting you see the true color (such as it might be). 

Great curiosity there RC!   [-1st-]  Sharp ID of things like magnetism and a drive to learn are to be commended. 

Back when I was in my teens I never knew that Gold was so widely found in North America - it took years to stumble upon OOPS, learn that fact through exhaustive research.  If I could have known then what I know now ......................

Joe

Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes