collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

bonnyyus

Dot Guests: 78 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12227
  • stats Total Posts: 121036
  • stats Total Topics: 16648
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 743

Author Topic: Cubic Yards Converted into 5 Gallon Buckets  (Read 38232 times)

Vikingsniper

Cubic Yards Converted into 5 Gallon Buckets
« on: December 02, 2009, 03:10:33 PM »
There is 7.48 gallons in a cubic foot X 27 cubic feet in a yard is 201.96 gallons in a cubic yard. Divided by 5 gallons = 40.392 buckets in a cubic yard of soil....Now what I am wondering is how Accurate these Calculation's are?  [&whistle#]   

Offline tomcat

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 2
Re: Cubic Yards Converted into 5 Gallon Buckets
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 03:13:49 PM »
Are you talking about a 20 litre pail  ^#!

7.48 US gallons / cu foot
6.23 imperial gallons / cu foot  ;D

Vikingsniper

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 03:33:39 PM »
Yeah 20 Litre pail or bucket (the standard ones that most prospectors use)..... 7.48 US gallons / cu foot or 6.23 imperial gallons / cu foot....so about 40 pails or buckets give or take  <-thinking->

Offline garyww

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Napa, California
  • Kudos: 14
    • Gold Country Outfitters
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 03:35:59 PM »
Keep in mind that for 'irregular' shaped objects they 'pack' differently and also change depending upon whether wet or dry so a bucket of 1" rocks will be a whole lot different than a bucket of 'classified' material with respect to not only weight but volume as well so what are you trying to figure out and then maybe we can give better answers.

Vikingsniper

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 03:41:59 PM »
That's a very good point GaryWW  <-good_> Most times I classify my gravel/clay to 1/2" and I try my best to get dry material but that doesn't always happen.

Offline garyww

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Napa, California
  • Kudos: 14
    • Gold Country Outfitters
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 03:48:50 PM »
I did several studies on this particular issue when I was looking at sluices and came to the conclusion that one person's 'bucket' did not jive with another person's idea of a bucket-load and the variation was almost 2-gallons in some instances. What I decided to use instead was 'how many shovel-loads of material is being processed. This is much more accurate. In almost all cases in any kind of material there are about 150 shovel loads of material in one cubic yard of raw bench run gravels using a number 2 shovel.
Hope this helps and doesn't just make the issue more complicated.

Vikingsniper

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 03:58:02 PM »
Thank You GaryWW , Yeah it does help for sure  {cool^sign}

Offline Guest

• New user
  • Province/State: bc
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 04:17:48 PM »
Just to add some fuel to the fire for thought, gravels, aggrecates, weigh generally in the neighbourhood of 4200 to 4500 lbs per yard depending on makeup of material, so by your calculations a 5 gallon bucket would average about 120-125 per bucket and seeing that you can't pack one bucket with that kind of weight in it without throwing your back out and wrenching a few other things. So I would hazard a guess that you are going to have to try using two buckets with smaller loads as the two fully loaded would be up in the 225-250 lb range, so for ease of transporting the full buckets lets say you're down to half buckets, now you're tring to pack around 125 lbs, still a fair jag by any stretch of the imagination, but quite doable with a yoke to balance the two back and forth, still a lot of work and kind of brute labour to boot, but look at it this....you've cut the number of trips with the buckets in half ...so there is so labour savings to be had from this approach.... ;D <-laugh->...Grywolf

Offline tomcat

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 04:31:30 PM »
 <-laugh-> <-laugh-> lol!!!@* where are those old Chinese prospectors when you need them.....don't forget the funky hat  <-laugh-> <-laugh-> :D

Vikingsniper

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 04:45:06 PM »
I will be using buckets or like Gary said #2 shovel fulls as a measuring cup to calculate when I have dug a cubic yard roughly...I won't be carrying these for a long distance though. <-NO_>