collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Woodspiritbeav

Dot Guests: 139 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12977
  • stats Total Posts: 130236
  • stats Total Topics: 18221
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Chux Rocker box plans and tips.  (Read 10461 times)

Offline Chuxgold

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Naches Washington
  • Kudos: 10
  • The thinker.
Re: Chux Rocker box plans and tips.
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 08:03:04 PM »
Chux, maybe have a website and charge people 4 to 10 bucks to download a PDF file about your shaker, after all the time you have spent figuring out the details, you should be getting compensated for it...... <-good_>...YES.........Guest
Iím going to be in the box! By the time anyone realizes what I am trying to do.
Spending my last days fumbling around with scratched glasses and only the dream of why I go on.
New when I was six. I would never stand upright next to what I know. Big dreams and ideas are expensive.
And all I have know and have.
Had a web site ones. It was junk, and cost to much. Really burned me on having another one. Like I could afford it!
Have said all the right words? And know I can stand behind them. Do not know why its been so hard a road. I should be selling them by the hundreds or thousands by now. Having other people describing how the simple works.
Chuck.
Give self, to gain wisdom,

Offline Chuxgold

• PPT Invited
  • The thinker.
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 08:32:46 PM »
Chuck is there any way you could post pics of the inside? I want to make a rocker box for my next DIY project, but I am unsure if it has riffles etc.

The drawing is pretty complete. And the design simple. Not many peaces. Just trying to make your first apron is the tough stuff. The rest hinges around it. Just make it look like the one in the pic on the first try. Worry the wrinkles in. In later tryís.
Chuck.

Offline Gabe1983

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 02:35:25 AM »
Hi, I'm new here, but I've been lurking for quite awhile. I'm planning to build a rocker box of my own and would like to understand your design a bit better, Chux. Bear in mind, I'm still learning.

1.) Correct me if I'm wrong, but from the drawing, it looks like you don't use a riffle section or any carpeting (like miner's moss), just a large apron? How well does this retain the heavies by itself?

2.) It seems like this design might work well for finer sands, but what about larger pebbles and pea gravel (like 1/4" or so)? Wouldn't those tend to cause lost gold?

3.) Where do the tailings exit?

4.) How much gravel can this design actually process at once? The demonstration video I saw on YouTube looked like you were putting only about a garden trowel's worth through it at a time.

5.) What about a hopper / classifier, like most traditional rockers? Does this design need one?

Thanks for your time.

Offline Chuxgold

• PPT Invited
  • The thinker.
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 07:57:02 AM »
Hell were all learning. As I could not say I know it all. But do not have much on the curve that is unstudied on rockers.
The design is as simple approach as I could figure would be build able by most. And requires the fewest amount of tools.
But can not take the need for crafting things out completely. As apron will take a few tries to get right. And even then dues not just fall into place. I still struggle with each one a little. Also carving holes in the plastic can be a bit of trouble to keeping your finger tips. And should be marked and scribed with a sharp edge before cutting.  The scribed edge makes it easy to follow. So cuts down on then frustration. That is the real enemy when holding a knife.
And no there is no riffles. As a single apron run right is all that is needed. When kept fluid. And not over fed. It will collect anything of a greater specific weight. In any mesh size. With gold and other extra heavy stuff being completely trapped. Due to there being nothing heavier to drive it out by building up under it.
As far as mesh size. The depth and over all size determents the size of material it can handle. Also how much displacing slope it has. But would really have to mess it up bad to get it to not catch most gold of any size. Just works slower when not keeping its self fluid with just rocking it. And will require more taping and breaking up the lump that will form.
As far as larger pebbles. They are required to keep a circulation. When they settle out, then rise up. They lift heavier material with them. And keep a mixed medium of material that is not of a extreme weight. Pebbles are heavy enough thru size to drive down. And displace whatís there. But are not of specific weight to stay. And is lifted by building fines that out weigh it. And settle out under it. This lifts it. And as it ids lifted It causes a more fluid pocket under and behind it.  There the finest gold can separate. As the lighter material like black sand and garnet are lifted. Allowing a properly run rocker to work all day. And not become plugged with mid range weighted material. That stops displacement and gold from settling out.
If layers of separate sized material form.  Compacting has already started. 
So pebbles are required to keep it running for long times, and not need cleaning. Where if just running strait black sand. Frequent cleanings are required. That are brought together in one concentrating run.
And run times on different material varies greatly. But yeas a trowel or big serving spoon works best. And can be use to tap the bottom of the apron. It is a good size to allow for regulating how much material verses water is getting into the apron.. Just because it is small. And not a shovel. Dues not mean it can not move some material. It is hard too keep up with if feeding to fast. And can cause compacting if feed to fast. Faster than the water applied. That should be in a 50/50 mix.
Hoppers or extra aprons are at the discretion of the builder to apply. But is all just extra work if just building another one. After seeing how well one works you like every one hew makes one will want to up grade. And try to catch more gold. And with a second try could ad a hopper or second apron.
Chuck.

Gear Pan
Gold Rat