collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Hardpan82

Dot Guests: 124 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13002
  • stats Total Posts: 130764
  • stats Total Topics: 18300
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Gold Pans - Back to Basics  (Read 34040 times)

Offline SnowSpider

• Loving the life
  • PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Thorsby Alberta
  • Kudos: 7
  • Just me
Re: Gold Pans - Back to Basics
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 06:00:25 PM »
Garrett pans all the way  have a 16 and a 10  and just love em
Cold Wet and Tired aint Prospecting Fun??

Offline bcdigger

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Vancouver BC
  • Kudos: 8
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 01:41:53 PM »
I'm in the process of DIY'ing this.
The change I'm makeing is to only have matting & moss in the very bottom. As you noted the material on the "slopes" would hold and possibly cause good stuff to wash over. So with the sides smooth nothing slows the good stuff migrating to the very bottom.
My rendition is at a buddys place awating a stitch or two of alum... welding.
Ken

Thats the first thing I thought when i saw this..."I can build this!!". ...well maybe anyways. ::)
Wondering lsfog if at all possible you could let us know of your testing result upon completion of your project. Seem like an interesting and reasonable build for some of us lacking in fabrication skills.  ;)

thx
You'll always wonder unless you dig it

Offline auhunter

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 01:45:21 PM »
Good stuff fella's ;D...I will try and stir the pot a little by throwing out a few other pans of early years...

Quick miner's pan (1981)
http://www.google.com/patents?id=Ij04AAAAEBAJ&pg=PA3&dq=gold+pan&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=1_1#PPA2,M1

C. ORD's Gold Pan (1922)
http://www.google.com/patents?id=Yes-AAAAEBAJ&dq=gold+pan

MINER S GOLD-PAN (1907)
http://www.google.com/patents?id=yk9LAAAAEBAJ&dq=gold+pan 

Handled gold pan (1913)
http://www.google.com/patents?id=Kb5RAAAAEBAJ&dq=gold+pan

Any thought's or views on these pan designs?

Offline rockpup

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Lethbridge, Alberta.
  • Yar der be gold in dem pans!!
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 03:45:35 PM »
Those old school pans look pretty cool.I have never seen anything like those before in a metal pan.The one kinda reminded me of the trinity pan.I was wondering if any has used a grizzly pan?would like some opions, it looks like a time saving pan.

Offline deserdog

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: USA California
  • Kudos: 4
  • On the creek,, moving some material!
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 09:09:41 AM »
I have used the grizzly gold pan for years, and it works great! I was out yesterdaydoing some sampling with the grizzly gold pan. I was able to run 8 buckets from different locations through it in about an hour and 20 minutes. This was bank run material too, I do not screen when I am sampling. The only rocks I do not take are ones that are too big for me to wash off in the grizzly pan. You can read more about the grizzly gold pan at http://sluicebox.com/
Cannot find if you do not look!

Offline rockpup

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Lethbridge, Alberta.
  • Yar der be gold in dem pans!!
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 11:14:44 AM »
Thanks dog ,I think I will buy one now. I think it will save alot of time, is small and light.I think, by the sounds of it can process just as much as a mini rocker the clean up might be a little more.Just getting used to my 2 clean up pans and have them pretty mastered.Just want something to get me concentrates that doesnt weigh a ton and is small.There is also recreation areas you cannot run a sluice and the grizzly pan would getcha more con's.I really like my 10" plastic pan with an arrow in the bottom for my first clean then a pan with a concave bottom for my final.

Offline lsfog

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Hinton, Ab
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2008, 03:45:45 PM »
Rockpup --- the griz is a real nice design for running material and holding hi quality cons. The only down side I have seen is the gage \ type of plastic it's made of. Mine has a real fragile feel to it so I'm kinda paranoid with it when packing in somewhere on the ATV -- etc. I'm always expecting to see a beauty big crack in it when I get to where I'm going.Thats why I built the montana look a like.
On the up side we overnighted at a campground with a 5$ pay to pan trough last year. I never bothered to pull the rubber plug out -- just kept shoveling \ swishing \ and dumping the top stuff for about an hour. Then I dumped the contence into a regular pan. Nasty old me then sparked a mini gold rush by show-off-ing to a couple of newbee's who had just come from the camp office with the rusty old steel rent-a-pans. Yup first pan full !!! well would you look at that!!!!!
Ken

Offline karmakraze

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2008, 10:45:07 AM »
I just bought the 15" garrett pan hope to use it soon but I dont really know where to go near Creston i was thinking goat river. Any in put?

Offline auhunter

• PPT Invited
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2008, 08:26:40 AM »
Hi karmakraze, Not sure of hand near Creston. Nice pan though, the 15" Garrett  {cool^sign}

I just acquired 2 old steel pans today from a very kind retired placer miner.  ;D
Looking forward to getting out in the next few day's to make some noise..lol

VikingSniper

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 10:02:13 AM »
The goat river has gold Erickson REC panning site hope this helps.You can also try Summit creek some AU and
small amount of PT.

Gear Pan
Gold Rat