collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Fisser

Dot Guests: 263 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 1

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12990
  • stats Total Posts: 130580
  • stats Total Topics: 18274
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Construction Site Garbage Dumpsters Can Be a Jackpot  (Read 7643 times)

Vikingsniper

Construction Site Garbage Dumpsters Can Be a Jackpot
« on: November 14, 2009, 02:09:55 PM »
1. Ask the Boss Man at the site if you can do so,9 times out of 10 they will say take as much as you need...they pay by weight to take to the dump or recycle.
2. I have found some expensive things in these bins,not only construction goodies but also household items dumped there from people to cheap to take to the dump.  ::)
3. There will be people giving you funny looks....you can count on it  <-yes_>....I like going to the rich area's, best stuff can be found there. :)

Offline Guest

• New user
  • Province/State: bc
  • Kudos: 1
Re: Construction Site Garbage Dumpsters Can Be a Jackpot
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 03:22:20 PM »
So Vikingsniper ya don't have to live in Belair to have great taste,  <-laugh-> lol!!!@* ;) ;)

Offline daemdaem

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 07:34:17 PM »
Friend of mine picked up a Hitachi 42 inch flat screen TV . Was going to see if there was any gold connections. It had sound , but no picture.   Seeing it was only 5 months old He took it in  and asked about  warranty, and they gave him a new one no questions asked.  Not bad for construction dumpster diving Allan

Offline sluicedog

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: BC
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 07:54:06 PM »
As the " BOSS MAN "absolute  truth...take as much as you want...in fact take it all    <-good_>   Do you ask...yes...are you polite...better be...can you make sure you don't spill it out of the bin  <-yes_>....have at it <-good_>
And yes the neighbours love the bins...does it cost us a bunch...yes...what are the optons...none :'( :'( :'(

Vikingsniper

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 09:44:08 PM »
I have found solid Oak and Maple,New windows,doors,sinks,tools,$50 of glass bottles (pre boxed) the list goes on....there is a builder in Calgary that has custom garbage bins,two frames on hinges with heavy duty concrete wire welded to them....so the builder can lock up at night and avoid paying for other peoples garbage....however that doesn't effect me  :) I even found a antique ashtray, you know the one's with the lights and all marble/chrome....the cord wasn't good so I just put a new end & it worked....collector gave us $650  <-laugh-> 8) 

Offline lsfog

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Hinton, Ab
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 09:42:37 AM »
Way back when --- the most popular place on Saterday mornings was the town dump in Yellowknife. When folks were moving out south anything not in the truck was in the dump.
Also there wasent any bottle recycleing in Y/K BUT I know of a few folks that would fill the back of the 1/2 ton with bottle's from the y/k dump and then cash them in @ Edmonton + half their gas money.

Offline rockpup

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Lethbridge, Alberta.
  • Kudos: 7
  • Yar der be gold in dem pans!!
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 05:13:52 AM »
Yes construction sites are goldmines! The metal wall studs in commerical buildings are perfect sluice troughs.
You could build a complete sytem Easy with construction material.You can get poop tubes ,I have even found expanded metal,carpet.....if your a handy person the limits are endless with construction junk.

Things I have built for free: Sluices-rockerbox-classfiers-pooptube system with riverflare, the list goes on.

People are so ignorant anything that hits the floor in a construction site allmost always goes in the garbage.I go around and collect Bags of nails,screws,marets,electrical tape,conduit conectors,conduit,lumbing fittings and why not anything swept into the garbage pile is going to the dump.

Offline Tommyknocker

• Province/State: Central Valley, California
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 09:45:16 PM »
I look back on my days as a garbage collector in California fondly. As a matter of fact, I refer to it as treasure hunting not garbage collecting! We referred to ourselves as "Doctors of Garbology" or "Garbologists"...Loads of fun!
If your head is made of wax, do not walk in the sun!

Poor Richard's Almanac

Offline ronp

• Province/State: Canada
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 11:37:11 AM »
no place like the smokey mall!!!  been there done that!!! keep an eye out for old treadmills.. 9 out of 10 times they still work and if they don't the motor is usually still good it's just the speed controler that goes.. you can use the motors for lots of different applications!!

Offline Geo2

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: KH- Sudan
  • Kudos: 4
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 01:03:40 PM »
I visit sometimes the construction sites, but unfortionatly in recent years with the prices of metal parts going high , the building companies are aware of the value of the "Junck" that is left after the building project completes , so there is auctions held and scrap traders are always present with their FAT wallets which make it difficult for the average person seeking some useful pieces. Unless some how you someone from inside the building firm or company you're faced with the prices they ask for the left over scrap (especially metal ones). All in all I think it is a smart move to seek needed parts in the junck yards.

As the saying goes "One man  trash is another mans treasure"  <-good_>

Gear Pan
Gold Rat