collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

suburbanator

Dot Guests: 233 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12981
  • stats Total Posts: 130387
  • stats Total Topics: 18244
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Shaker Table Building  (Read 92967 times)

Offline garyww

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Napa, California
  • Kudos: 14
    • Gold Country Outfitters
Shaker Table Building
« on: October 28, 2009, 12:38:59 PM »
Iíve attached a link to an article about building Shaker Tables that might be of interest to people for a winter project. The Adobe file is just the first half of Part-I in a multi-part series about table building. I hope to have all of the parts and complete building plans for a couple of different types of tables ready by the end of November.

http://64.172.168.34/neatstuff/shaker-tables-1.pdf

Thanks
Gary

Offline sanman

• Kudos: 0
Re: Shaker Table Building
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 04:14:22 PM »
Thanks Gary, Good read... <-good_>... <-good_>

sanman
smelling-n-yellow

Offline tomcat

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 06:34:20 PM »
Well done Gary...as usual a very good article...can hardly wait for the rest  <-good_>

Offline Guest

• New user
  • Province/State: bc
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 07:00:52 PM »
Excellent read Gary, will like to see the finished product, just the right thing to keep idle fingers busy and happy over the winter..Greywolf {cool^sign} <-good_>

Offline garyww

• PPT Invited
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 05:27:22 PM »
Here's a link to an 8-minute video of the first full-sized working prototype that we'll be covering in Part-II of the Shaker Table article. Keep in mind that during this vid we had the table set to only run at 214 rpm but with a really large 3/4-inch stroke just to test the geometry of the drive gear. We'll be refining the design and posting updates and full-sized plans later.

YouTube
            - Video 1B

Offline tomcat

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 06:36:48 PM »
Sweet video...Garyww...I'm very glad you made it.... it really puts your writings into a finer perspective. <-good_>

Although I gotta say your shop is about as tidy as mine  <-laugh->

Keep em comming.

Offline Guest

• New user
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 06:57:19 PM »
Well Gary well done, excellent work, oh by the way nice shop set up also, now I believe you are using dado out sliders? and then the table mounts on top,  I guessing that it also has some type of slider fasteners that hold it do to the frame so that you can controll your pitch and yawn, question the 214 rpm was that the motors? or the longitude motion,  Nice loooking  and looking forward to the finished project.....Guest

Offline Guest

• New user
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 03:36:08 PM »
Gary, had some thought about a shaker table setup I thought I would share with you and the others and see if these might be of a workable notion for a small portable gasoline powered shaker, here's what I'm thinking.  Taking the slider set up that you are using on your device and lowering it down to sit about 3-5 inches off the bed/frame, now attaching a solid bed on the top of the sliding mechanization on the which the actual table with riffles mounts by adjustable bolting, this will allow for the pitch and yawn adjustments and the whole thing as of yet is only about a foot high.  Now for powering the longitude motion instead of a motor belt and pulley with cam setup, I'm thinking of trying out a gaspowered hedge trimmer, you've got the the oscillating function built in to the hedgetrimmer and a built in clutch, throttle for speed controll, I thinking the hard part is going to be figuring out how to mount the trimmer so that it doesn't beat itself to death and to jury rig a small water pump up with it also, I'm going to try using hardwood for the frame and the sliders as I have a bunch of that handi, and I'm not going to needing the hedgetrimmer until next July or Aug, I'll try and get it built over the weekend and maybe if I can figure out how to download video from my camera we'll see if it all works as hopefully good as I think it will..Greywolf

Offline CaribooAu

• CGPF Sponsor
  • Province/State: Prince George
  • Kudos: 55
    • Boilerbox Highbankers
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 09:50:37 PM »
Looks Awesome...Gary... {-applause-}

Can't wait to see it when it's all done.........that old motor is cool too.. :D
May The Fever Be With You...

Offline garyww

• PPT Invited
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 11:03:50 PM »
That hedge trimmer would work great but they have very little torque so I'd use roller bearing drawer slides as the runners to reduce friction to a minimum. Some large hose clamps should hold the motor assembly to a wood strongback of some sort and to reduce weight and complexity on tables up to about 3'x5' I've found that it's actually easier to change the deck slopes by using the frame adjuster legs to slope the entire frame. There are so many possible ways to build these tables economically I'm surprised there aren't more people building them.
Also you'll probably need to add a small spring loaded snubber to provide the 'bump' as oscillation by itself doesn't work very well.
These things will keep me busy this winter if I don't get electrocuted. I'm kind of eyeing my table saw motor as we speak.

Gear Pan
Gold Rat