collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

mooncounterFisser

Dot Guests: 268 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12961
  • stats Total Posts: 129981
  • stats Total Topics: 18180
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Superpoop tube  (Read 14960 times)

Offline rockpup

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Lethbridge, Alberta.
  • Kudos: 7
  • Yar der be gold in dem pans!!
Superpoop tube
« on: May 25, 2008, 07:00:03 AM »
I took the poop tube idea and improved.I use rubber backed ribbed carpet and 3/16" expanded stucco wire over top.It works good for catching small garnets.I lack workable amounts of gold other than the tiny flakes here in lethbridge,I tested with small pieces of lead it it works great.It doesnt cost much for someone who cant afford anything else.This would be quicker than panning.The one in the picture can be put on a flat rock and used as a rocker.

VikingSniper

Re: Superpoop tube
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 10:03:31 PM »
Good idea,alot stronger then the other poop tube sluice I saw.

Offline rockpup

• PPT Invited
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 11:14:10 PM »
I left the end that connects to the next pipe on it.I used a larger version last year ,does not take much water flow to clear the pipe of the blonde sands.It seems to make a nice v-formation in the water flow,I am thinking about making a a larger version using 4 or more tubes in a row at about 6 foot lengths.I realize the surface catching area is reduced using a tube but they seems to clear blonde sand quickly,and trap the heavies good.I will be testing some differant designs this winter.

Offline Greg in BC

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Dawson Creek
  • Kudos: 5
  • Golden memories are not always of gold.
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 08:01:02 AM »
There was an Ozzie on the forums a couple years ago who swears by the half tube configuration for fine gold.  He only had a very small recovery zone but seemed to get lots of fine gold.

Banjo plans (square)

Check out the post set here 49'er search for Bowman Banjo.  It is a great set of articles on the development of the Aussie 'highbanker' as we call it.  Great descriptions and photos and looks like he gets very similar small gold to ours.

Starts with 'The Alluvial Prospector' and progresses through to 'The Alluvial Gold Prospector 4'.

The poop tube has always intrigued me as it seems to do a very respectable job of keeping the fine gold - even most of the fine flake.  Something about how the water gets swirled to both sides as it goes down the middle.  I think each side acts as a mini backwash and then the little double riffle in the bottom helps to keep the heavies in the bottom.  It seems that as long as the gold gets into the bottom flow of the slurry (water not too deep) then the high drop per foot gives the water lots of energy for the swirl.

Always thought it wold be interesting incorporating a short section of these in the drop area of the sluice where the material comes off the grizzly into the sluice.

His final rounded Banjo would also be very easy/cheap to build and durable.

Offline rockpup

• PPT Invited
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 11:15:18 AM »
Greg what type of drop should I use with fairly non-sticky gravel (not much boulder clay).I was thinking around 6" of drop on a 10 foot length.I used a large version but it had slits in the tube,I like the slits because I line my tube with a carpet it seems to collect black sand well in the matting.I like using piping because I am mechincal insulator and the plumbers I work around give me there scrap pipe.I was thinking a guy could stack say 3, 4' foot lengths and have a 3 drop sluice ,like a jacob ladder system.have a grizzly on top and make it so the other large rocks flow of the sides.Just the gravel travels the tubes.You could get more surface area this way.

Offline autogirl

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 08:49:21 PM »
this is neat i think i will try it.

VikingSniper

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 10:10:49 PM »
Have you tried the superpoop tube yet? ???

Offline rockpup

• PPT Invited
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 12:12:36 AM »
Yeah I used it down at the old man one day and collected garnets well!Found a few sopts of au as well.

Offline Greg in BC

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Dawson Creek
  • Kudos: 5
  • Golden memories are not always of gold.
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 09:40:00 PM »
Sorry I missed replying Rockpup, I think for angle it will be trial and error as you are doing something different from most.  The regular Poop Tubes or Henry Henry's use quite a steep angle (seen from 25 to 45 degrees) with just a little water flow.  Seems the deep riffles give a real vortex with each riffle as the water spreads then comes together. If you look close there is actually a double riffle in the drain tube as well.

Yours has smaller riffles so may need less slope but for fine gold you will want to clear the blondes and keep the heavies as you say.  Not too quickly or you will lose gold and feed based on how quickly it clears. Nice design and interested to see how it works.  Garnets are a good indicator, you might also try a golf shop and get some tungsten powder used for the head weights and see how the sluice performs with that as it is close to gold for SG and works as a good tracer.  Weight the sample before and after and just reuse the same material with the powder added back each time. Or throw it out and start with a whole new sample for good data.
Greg

Offline rockpup

• PPT Invited
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 12:13:53 AM »
Cool thanks for the tungnsten hint.Yeah it does take a steep angle to move gravel.After trial I like the black ribbed plastic.It does not preform well in a small size after testing a few differant lengths.I like a long version with a steep angle I used it a few weeks ago with just a 900 gph electric pump I moved 3 ,5 gallon pails around 40 minutes.It collect well and my gold loss was very small,it was all small flake.I would say around 90% efficant.I have to test in a control with tungsten.Lead shot works well but with tungsten I could maybe increase angle more to help blonde sand.I am using a 7 foot length with  4 inch unslotted weeping tile.Seem to work well.I have a fine gold sluice with a hopper grizzly set up,10" by 3 foot I perfer the 7 foot poop-tube for easy set up and light.Plus no gas electric easy.Will do more tests ,have been using a differant sluice for fine gold lately.

Gear Pan
Gold Rat