collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 144 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 1

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13005
  • stats Total Posts: 130835
  • stats Total Topics: 18307
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Distance to Claim  (Read 37222 times)

Offline garyww

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Napa, California
  • Kudos: 14
    • Gold Country Outfitters
Re: Distance to Claim
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 01:16:30 PM »
I used to be a young buck but now I'm an old geezer but the distance to the work sites hasn't changed in proportion to the curve of my aging. I had always hoped that the gold would get closer to the road as I got older but for some reason that hasn't happened. In fact the opposite has occured and the older I get the further away the shiny stuff seems to be. For me the hike in and out isn't the problem, no matter how long it is so long as I can afford to stay for more than one night at any particular prospect so I typically plan on camping out at least overnight in most long-hike areas but I pack for a three day trip just in case things look better than I imagined they would. From my perspective a 2-hour hike to a prospect is not a one-day deal anymore if I want to have any good exploration time. Four hours out of the work day just spent in walking is just time taken away from actually prospecting.
Terrain is also a factor as steep access and egress has to be factored in. I've been to some sites that required 3-hours of serious climbing to cover an extremely short distance on the map.
For a really good potential site I would not hesitate to hike for 3 days but that's just the nature of what we sometimes need to do. I would extend this limit if I could carry more weight but for me at my age about 6 days is all that I can carry.

Offline tomcat

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 06:36:32 PM »
Has anybody done a poll on this topic?
Seems to me It would be easy to set up...anyone know how to set one up??? <-thinking-> <-thinking->
Age category..... 20-30, 30-40, 40-50, 50-60,....older than dirt
Year round access ...yes/no
Staked own claim..... yes/no
Lease a claim (if this is possible)
Driving time to area
Hiking/packing time into claim
Days or hours working claim
Hiking/packing time out of claim
Driving time to home
Fun factor...priceless

honeyman76

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 07:25:23 AM »
 <-thinking-> <-thinking->Interesting!

Offline tomcat

• PPT Invited
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 12:58:23 PM »
You bring up a good point ...as we are all heading to the Geezer category.You just sort of wake up one day and wonder where all the time went <-thinking->
If you are young enough to work the extremities of your claim first....while you are young and full of p--s and vinegar would seem to be a more carefully worked out long range plan.
However it is human nature after all to pick the low hanging fruit first.
That way as Gary has shown.....maybe the gold will get closer as we get older. {-applause-}

Offline PlacerPal

• Kudos: 36
    • Discover the Difference
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 01:58:41 PM »
WELL - I am the Geezer with claims that I can't get to!
I got part way down to the stacked claims but then thought -
I may not be able to get back out of here! No worry for sure about rogue miners.
Good location too with excellent parking, camping up top and within cell phone tower range.
Not nearby but being retired (sort of - I'll never completly retire) time and distance are not issues.

Claims seem to be similar to those of IdahoGold with a huge amount of quartz,
some stained red - gossan quartz, a good indicator of gold bearing quartz.
I am itching to turn over some of those boulders and scoop up the gravel, black sand and maybe gold.
Creek water flow goes low in late summer and fall too.
See photos below.

The claims are in a bit of a small canyon that even intimidate Dwayne.
I sent a friend, an Austrian mountain climber to play on the claims. He said it took him
50 minutes to get down to them and then an hour fifteen to get back up! Fortunately the
Austrian is well prepared with every prospecting device and a camera - maybe too much equipment.
He sent pictures of the claims and did some gravel and black sand sampling - results of which to come later.

My brother-in-law and nephew are both helicopter pilots - maybe I can get one of them to sneak
off with a Bell 407 and drop me into the claims for a few days!  <-laugh->

Or if the claims prove out worthwhile mining, maybe build a switchback road down to them like
Dwayne considered. Oh, to be 20 years younger again!

:)

honeyman76

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2009, 02:40:42 PM »
The amount of quartz is crazy on your claim Ernie! CaribouAu would be there all year inspecting a single shovel full!l! I've never seen so much quartz

Offline tomcat

• PPT Invited
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2009, 04:08:15 PM »
PlacerPal

Thats a nice looking creek, Just get Dwayne to go down with a little bit of C4 to loosten up that rock for you...in fact if you use enough you can just pick it up off the ground right where you parked your camper <-laugh->wear a hard hat ;D
The Geezer factor would certainly get me to pause at the top of a cliff and wonder the same thing ....I think I can get down there....BUT <-NO_>
How about a chair lift type apparatus <-yes_>

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 10:17:31 PM »
So they are trying to find something that Larry hasent found and staked yet.... lol!!!@*

That would be a few hundred clicks east of here, a place they call "Alberta"  lol!!!@*

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2009, 10:50:16 PM »
WELL - I am the Geezer with claims that I can't get to!
I got part way down to the stacked claims but then thought -
I may not be able to get back out of here! No worry for sure about rogue miners.
Good location too with excellent parking, camping up top and within cell phone tower range.
Not nearby but being retired (sort of - I'll never completly retire) time and distance are not issues.

Hi guys (and gals if there are any here)
These type of situations seem to me a perfect opportunity to help bring younger or less experienced folks into the hobby. I know that I am totally new to all this and have tons of questions about what kind of dirt to spend time on, how to set up the right angle/flow on my high banker, what different type of bedrock are best, etc etc...... I think all of you who call yourselves "Geezers" are doing yourselves a huge disservice and should recognize just how valuable the knowledge that you possess is. In the Amateur/Ham radio hobby, we have what are called "Elmer's", they're basically "Mentors" and are described as follows:

----------------
Origin of the term "Elmer"
The term "Elmer"--meaning someone who provides personal guidance and assistance to would-be hams--first appeared in QST in a March 1971 "How's DX" column by Rod Newkirk, W9BRD (now also VA3ZBB). Newkirk called them "the unsung fathers of Amateur Radio." While he probably was not trying to coin a term at the time, here's how Newkirk introduced "Elmer" in his column and, as it turned out, to the rest of the Amateur Radio world:

"Too frequently one hears a sad story in this little nutshell: 'Oh, I almost got a ticket, too, but Elmer, W9XYZ, moved away and I kind of lost interest.'"

Newkirk went on to say, "We need those Elmers. All the Elmers, including the ham who took the most time and trouble to give you a push toward your license, are the birds who keep this great game young and fresh."--Rick Lindquist, N1RL
----------------

Note: When they say "ticket" above, they are referring to "ham license".

Elmer's are an irreplaceable resource to our (Ham/Amateur Radio) community and are critical to keeping the hobby alive, especially with all the other distractions  that exist today that are much less work (Internet, Video Games, iPhones etc).

I feel that if more of those who feel they have the knowledge to do so, offered to "Elmer" those of us who don't, evangelized the hobby etc it would be mutually beneficial for everyone. When I've had someone who considered themselves acting as my Elmer, it was good for both of us, I assisted when he needed work that he was not comfortable doing due to age (tower work for his antennas etc) and he shared his knowledge and experience that I would have spent a lifetime learning if I ever did learn it.

Elmer Links:
http://www.arrl.org/news/features/2004/12/17/1/
http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/club/mentor/

Sorry for babbling, but I hear people on several boards saying "my days are numbered, I'm too old" etc and even selling off equipment at dirt cheap prices and you can hear the depression and sadness in their ads. If there was a claim that I knew someone loved working but was not comfortable going alone or carrying his/her equipment, shoveling etc.. I would gladly offer to exchange the shoveling, carrying etc in return for the knowledge learned from spending a day with years of experience. You've all heard of Big Brothers and Big Sisters.. well how about "Big Grampa's" or "Big Gramma's" (not that I'm implying you have to be over a certain age) ;) Don't go selling a claim or claims that you love without reaching out to offer your knowledge.... I've lost both my Gramma and Grampa and it happened very shortly after they stopped doing things they loved (driving, getting out etc)... that time alongside the creek or the exercise it took to get there may be the reason some of us are still alive.

Please remember guys (and gals if there are any others on here), please don't be afraid to offer to trade your knowledge for someone's physical labor, muscles or just the feeling of safety by having another person with you..... until you're in a wheelchair, there's no need to give up something you love... and you have SO much to offer us newbies who know NOTHING about this in comparison..... helping move rocks or swing a shovel is grunt work, you're the ones with all of the 'valuable' experience to offer in exchange.  :)

Now... to those of you who saw my wheelchair comment and thought that was an excuse, think again....check this out:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSqmD15X2_U[/youtube]

Jennifer

Vikingsniper

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2009, 11:43:08 PM »
Here is what I would get if handicap or when I get real old and have trouble going gold prospecting  <-smug->
CRE Loaded 6  - Tank Chair <----- The story is worth reading on how he thought of it  <-good_>

Gear Pan
Gold Rat