collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dhodgins

Dot Guests: 208 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13005
  • stats Total Posts: 130816
  • stats Total Topics: 18304
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Under Water Placer Find  (Read 37914 times)

Offline IdahoGoldGettR

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 12
Re: Under Water Placer Find
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2011, 09:57:20 PM »
Well Matt, it seems that my dial up connection did not perform the duties I needed it to do. Perhaps if I give you the link, maybe then you could pull up any research on the Council area. I look for any mining history which may have been done in the area or near by. Since Council is in Adams County, I suggest looking through this data from this link:
http://www.idahogeology.org/PDF/Pamphlets_(P)/P-13.pdf  (if the web page doesn't come up, go to Idaho Geological Survey - Home and type in Adams County - in the search engine. It will give you this page then).
It is a lengthy download from the Idaho mining/geology web but a great source of information can be gathered from there. Then again, it may have nothing. Doesn't hurt to try, especially if you have a high speed internet connection (I don't - one of the draw backs of living in such a remote area). Wish I could have been more helpful. Best of luck.

Offline Nasty Man05

• Province/State: Idaho
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2011, 10:31:08 PM »
Not a problem. Youíve been more than enough help Gold Getter. Yah, I stumbled upon the Idaho Geological Survey last night and have been busy mapping out the locations of the mines in the area on my google earth. Thereís quite a few mines in the area that pull 500-1000 oz of gold out of the ground (it didnít say at what rate, i.e. per tonnage  etc, but I imagine that itís per year).  Iíve also read that the gold is mostly a byproduct of copper in the area. Any who, thanks again.

Matt

Offline IdahoGoldGettR

• PPT Invited
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2011, 11:34:29 PM »
Once again, a captured moment. Nothing fancy on this small creek setup. A shovel, some classified gravels to a 5 gallon bucket, and a home made sluice box made processing gold a cinch. 2nd photo- shows a good collection of gold in the black rib matting. 3rd photo- the snap shot illustrates a glimpse of color from three small nuggets resting in the expanded diamond metal mesh. 4th photo- time for clean up. A nice showing of gold on a sunny afternoon outing.

Offline dacuz

« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2011, 07:40:33 PM »
Unbelievable photo's     you have several very special talents.   Not only the pics  but your information is very helpful   but those pics are very addictive   cant wait for more. Thank You very much for sharing.

Len

Offline IdahoGoldGettR

• PPT Invited
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2011, 09:53:56 PM »
Thank you Len. Since you have enjoyed these postings, here is another:

Good things come to those who...... wade near the rivers edge. It was on this particular day that I decided to look into the shallow parts of a stream. As I approached the embankment, I noticed some rust colored quartz rocks lying beneath the shoreline grasses. After removing the overburden, that same rust color lay clinging to my shovel. I had hit a pocket of clay and by the looks of things, it was well mineralized. "Time to do a pan sample," I said to myself. Within minutes, I had removed all small sized rocks, flushed out the blonde gravels, and was left with roughly five tablespoons of black sands. A few swirls in an elevated pan and SHAZAM,,,  <-yahoo_>  A sweet glimpse of gold. "It looks to be a single nugget, I gotta get this on my camera" (I said). Personally, the five minutes spent shoveling and another minute for picture taking was well worth this half gram moment. The pictures below are of this actual event. I felt this placer find was worth sharing. Cheers - Randy

Offline dacuz

« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2011, 12:59:32 PM »
Very sweet find   I have dug many holes on curiosity  sure  some come up empty  but my best finds were from curiosity, Anyone likes pics of gold  but taking pics of it in its natural state and pics of the removal are very informative if you study them.  again  I love the pics.
Can't wait for more.

Len

Offline keddano

« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2011, 12:06:26 PM »
Just really enjoyed reading this thread. The pictures add soooooomuch to it,keep them coming. {cool^sign}

Offline IdahoGoldGettR

• PPT Invited
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2011, 08:53:46 PM »
Thanks Keddano, I'll take that as a compliment for more editorial postings. If you liked those pictures, then perhaps you will like these as well. I'll have to admit it was a warm summer day when I took these photos. You just never know where those bedrock cracks are unless you move a lot of overburden. On this mid August day, patience and a shallow depth of bedrock was on my side when I found this gold bearing crevice. To my surprise, it not only held one small nugget but a second one as well. Under water finds such as this don't come often and with no hesitation, I took the following pictures.

Offline Al in Ogden

• There's much more gold in Utah than meets the eye!
  • Kudos: 2
    • alanmeyer.com
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2011, 07:19:25 PM »
I use a 5 gallon plastic bucket with the bottom cut out of it. I glue a round clear plexy glass to this cut out (clear liquid nail glue adds a good air tight water seal with great strength). I use this bucket like the small telescope features advertised. My camera: an older floppy disk type model.

The bucket is a good idea and those old floppy disk Sonys are great cameras for posting picture on the net. Those Mavicas show up in thrift stores around here for around $5?
Thanks,
Al in Ogden, UT

Offline IdahoGoldGettR

• PPT Invited
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2011, 09:35:56 PM »
Well I did it Al, I bought two cameras - both on Ebay. A birthday gift to one's self you might say. I couldn't help but buy another Sony Mavica. My last one took such great close up pictures (as seen by these editorial posts), I didn't want to chance using another camera that may not perform as well. However, I did buy a back up Canon PowerShot 400. I have no experience with this type but I do feel it will find a spot in my prospecting photo shoots. I hope to take a lot of under water placer photos when they arrive. Cheers - Randy

Gear Pan
Gold Rat