collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

chekaracanada

Dot Guests: 179 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13006
  • stats Total Posts: 130877
  • stats Total Topics: 18308
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Under Water Placer Find  (Read 37928 times)

Offline IdahoGoldGettR

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 12
Re: Under Water Placer Find
« Reply #100 on: July 26, 2014, 07:36:01 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys - much appreciated. Interesting: The use of a ping pong paddle to move the lighter material. I am sure it will work quite well but I'd have to attach some kind of weight to it so it didn't float away in the current. I guess you could put a wrist strap on it but once its use is done, I like to keep my hands free. I'd love to use scuba tanks too but I am in the same boat you are Sunshine (no stores nearby).  Hookah isn't an option. As with dredge/highbankers, it too is prohibited on these small "protected" streams. Until these issues are resolved in the courts, I guess I'll continue to work on holding my breath for longer periods of time, lol. Oh by the way, I dug up another photo of gold taken just days later from the same area previously mentioned. Again, I found another nice nugget with some good looking chunky pieces (see attached photo). Got to run,,, the gold is calling me. Take care. Randy

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Ontario, but also prospect in BC
  • Kudos: 39
« Reply #101 on: July 26, 2014, 08:43:55 AM »
Too bad that hooka is restricted for you.  Makes no sense, but sometimes the rules don't.  As for scuba, my only thought is to rent a number of tanks and take them with me.  I can get almost two hours of bottom time from a tank of air in shallow water and that is enough time to get good and cold too.  The other option would be a big tank in the back of the trunk that gets filled up with a dive compressor and use that to refill the tanks.

As for the ping pong paddle, they tend to fall apart (un laminate) after a while, so I have something else now made entirely of plastic that is a little bit larger that is used for beach pong.  I have it on an scuba clip that allows me to pull it away from my body when I want to use it and then it pulls back on a spring when not in use.  I sometimes use the same device for a few crevice tools (needle nose pliers, scraper).  Without the stuff attached to my body, I tend to lose it in the current of put it down on the bottom and then get distracted.  That leaves my hands free to hold onto or move rocks.  I am always getting pulled downstream when I try to get my nose close to the bottom for a look-see and the only option is to grab hold of the bottom or a big rock for extra weight. 

Seeing your pictures and thinking about it is making me excited for my next trip! 
See my YouTube channel for fun amateur video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz8kX6AZOeZbRt0F9XqVJA

Offline tamarackman

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2014, 08:32:36 AM »
thanks for bringing back this thread, it sure raises my temp. hope all is well Idaho thanks for sharing all your hard work with us.  If you ever come north let me know, I'm sure I'm not far off.

Offline IdahoGoldGettR

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 12
« Reply #103 on: July 30, 2014, 11:16:50 AM »
Good to see that my thread motivates others. With that said, here's a quick post of another under water placer find taken just a week later. The weather had warmed up dramatically -  enough that gloves were not required and so I chose a different spot to bask in the sun. Again I found bedrock and began "fanning" the gravels to see if there were any cracks available. To my astonishment, I found this small nugget (see photos 1-3). The hole did not contain much of a paystreak  but what little gold I did recover that day showed some good weight (see photos 4 & 5 with some garnets). It just goes to show you,,, a nugget in the hand is better than two in the bush. Cheers- Randy

Gear Pan
Gold Rat