collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 176 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13003
  • stats Total Posts: 130793
  • stats Total Topics: 18302
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Has Anyone Found Ogham or Runic inscriptions in Canada?  (Read 17563 times)

Offline PlacerPal

• Kudos: 36
    • Discover the Difference
Re: Has Anyone Found Ogham or Runic inscriptions in Canada?
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 09:10:45 PM »
Drums beating????????

Here are a couple of pics of the three most famous stones

1) Heavener Runestone
2) Shawnee Runestone
3) Poteau Runestone

Thanks Merlyn, very interesting. Nordic Futhark Rune script no doubt?

Here is a message that won't rune you day!

[attachimg=#]

:)

Offline sniper

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 5
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 09:16:45 PM »
intersting, and good to know, but its all greek to me

Offline sluicedog

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 09:20:35 PM »
You could use that as a claim marker.....no one would return  ;D <-laugh->

Offline PlacerPal

• Kudos: 36
    • Discover the Difference
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 09:40:01 PM »
You could use that as a claim marker.....no one would return  ;D <-laugh->

Good Idea!  {cool^sign}

Here is a better one. Sez "Mineral Claim No Prospecting"
Of course maybe only the Norwegians would understand it?  ;D

[attachimg=#]

:)

Offline sluicedog

• PPT Invited
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 09:42:06 PM »
 lol!!!@* lol!!!@* lol!!!@* Perfect  lol!!!@* lol!!!@* lol!!!@*

Offline sluicedog

• PPT Invited
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 09:51:07 PM »
Ya know after Merlyn555 posted those great pictures...it ocurred to me that I have seen writing like that...it was scratched into the concrete at the BC Pennitentiary just before they tore it down ....looked just like that.
Someone told me that Penn had been there since the beginning of time.. <-good_>
Do you suppose ???

Offline Merlyn555

• Province/State: Kingston
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2009, 01:18:58 AM »
Having seen BC Pen in it's prime I don't doubt you at all Sluicedog but it wasn't as old as the one I used to work in KP built 1835.

Actually Placerpal it is closer to Elder Futhark with a mixture of Kymeric or Old Welsh I've attached a pic of it for you to study.

My translation of the Heavener Runestone is way off the official translation of "Glome's Valley" which stretches the translating a bit and reads from left to right which is wrong. Runic writing is read from right to left. My translation is simple, "Glo Medal" which when read right to left and translated from the Old Welsh means soft coal. And wouldn't you know that the stone sits just on the edge of the only soft coal deposit in Oklahoma....

Offline finch68

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Chilliwack, BC
  • Kudos: 23
  • 50 years mining experience
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2009, 11:17:58 AM »
I had a dear friend and colleague (unfortunately died a few years ago) who, after a great career as a chemist and researcher in the minning business went to work as a volunteer for the Denver Museum of Natural Science.  While working on a method for authentication of ancient North American ceramics, he introduced me to the ideas and writings of the late Dr. Barry Fell who had done tons of work on the existence of ancient Norse and related runes in North America.

Unfortunately, Barry Fells work has been largely rejected or ignored by folks who have their own pet theories and agendas.  However there is a large body of written reports by Dr Fell discussing the possible existence and interpretations of runic inscriptions (including Ogham) in North America.  In one paper he describes an occurence near Peterbourough, Ontario.

I suggest, if you hve not done so already, follow some of the papers by Dr. Fell for an interesting insight into his thinking.

finch68

Offline Merlyn555

• Province/State: Kingston
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2009, 08:33:01 AM »
Thank you finch68 for the advice. I am very aware of Dr. Barry Fell's works and must say he was a pioneer in the field. Unfortunately advances have been made since and most of his work has been proven wrong, this does not detract from his effort though only proving that science corrects it's self as it learns.

I have visited the "Teaching Rocks" at Peterbourgh often as they are close to me and they are very interesting but I fail to find even one authentic runic symbol in their midst. All symbols at this site appear to be original native pictographs and superb examples at that. Viewing the large collection under one roof is worth the trip.

I must say that I had the extreme pleasure of speaking with Ms Gloria Farley before she died, she was Dr. Fells assistant on many of his excursions and the leading expert on the Heavener Runestone. We discussed the stone in detail and I presented my explanation of translation, to say the least it was a lively discussion but we parted friends and I wish I had visited her at least once more before her passing.

Anyway the search continues.

Offline SeloamLakeGoldMiner

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Halifax Nova Scotia Canada
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 05:59:39 PM »
Runic Stone - Yarmouth County Museum and Archives

this is kept in the Yarmouth museum In south-west Nova Scotia on the Fundy Coast. It unique in that it Still exists, match's no known stone deposit near us. and HAS been deciphered. if interested please google it some more as it makes for an interesting adventure. I have personally looked upon and photographed this stone. there was a supposed second stone which was lost before their importance was discovered.
I will leave it up to you to research and formulate your own opinion as Nova Scotians have Many of their own.