collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

mcbainrexhavoc

Dot Guests: 200 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12981
  • stats Total Posts: 130391
  • stats Total Topics: 18246
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Has Anyone Found Ogham or Runic inscriptions in Canada?  (Read 17122 times)

Offline Merlyn555

• Province/State: Kingston
  • Kudos: 1
Has Anyone Found Ogham or Runic inscriptions in Canada?
« on: October 02, 2009, 03:05:27 PM »
I'm not talking about Native American paintings or carvings I am talking about Old World writing.

I have been interested and doing personal research in this area for over 15 years and have traveled to and examined engraved rocks in several states, Oklahoma has the largest occurance to my knowledge, and I have formulated a theory that is not a new one but my version has a unique twist to it.

I believe that the Welsh Prince Madoc is responsible for some of these markings, this is not new at all. What is new is the time period that I suggest.

The common theory is that Madoc visited Mobile Bay in 1170 well my theory puts him there about 600 years earlier. Through extensive research I have come to the conclusion that Madoc was the son of a 5th Century King and the brother of the infamous King Arthur. Several other researchers, after examining the appropriate Welsh document agree with this idea.

Now my point is that Madoc first visited the Atlantic coast making his way down and into the Gulf area finally arriving at the Mississippi river. He then made his way up the river reeaching the St Louis area. I don't feel that his explorations ended there. If he had followed the Mississippi river he could have ended up in the Great Lakes and from there it is natural to follow the flow down river to find the Atlantic again.

If he did this it would make sense for him to continue with his habit of marking stones with Ogham or Runic writing.

I am aware that some stone were found in Quebec that had what appeared to be runic writing on them and are called the Sherbrook Stones but I do not know where these stones now lie.

If anyone has any information on carved stones in Canada I would appreciate if you post them here, thanks for your time.

Offline daemdaem

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 2
Re: Has Anyone Found Ogham or Runic inscriptions in Canada?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 10:27:20 PM »
Hello, If you have some time on your hands there is a rather interesting  wooden carving under glass at the museum in Clinton B.C.  It is unlike anything I have seen before and is anomalous.  Thats all the hint I can give you, but I think it is runes.    Allan

Offline sluicedog

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: BC
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 10:43:59 PM »
Hello, If you have some time on your hands there is a rather interesting  wooden carving under glass at the museum in Clinton B.C.  It is unlike anything I have seen before and is anomalous.  Thats all the hint I can give you, but I think it is runes.    Allan

Shoot...not another Google search   ^#!

Offline Merlyn555

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 11:07:23 PM »
Don't mind Google searchs at all, in fact the research in this area is fun but in this case I am falling short. My WWW searchs for the aforementioned Runes have only turned up information on the museum and town not on the specific item.

Since it is very unlikely that I will be out west in the next year or so I would appreciate any tidbits you can throw my way on this item. Where, when and by whom this was found. Availability of pictures and any pertinent info would be appreciated.

Seems the older I get the less I travel must have something to do with the tiny airline seats LOL.

thanks for the tip Allan

Offline PlacerPal

• Kudos: 36
    • Discover the Difference
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 12:30:03 AM »
I doubt if we are going to find any Rune or Ogham artifacts in Canada other than those imported
or recently added.

A Swedish page, also in English. Kalle Dahlberg is a genuine carver of rune monument stones. His site
includes photos of stones he has carved, including one for the Leif Erikson memorial in Canada.
Till minne av Leif Erikssons upptäckt av Nordamerika

But let me digress and tell a true story.

I was a student working for a mining company along with a group of Engineers, Geologists,
Chemists and Assayers. The Assayers were an interesting group and some of them while quite
aged had worked on the construction of the Hudson Bay CNR Railway extension from The Pas, MB
which at the time was called Le Pas a la Louis-Joseph Gaultier de La Vérendrye a French
fur trader and explorer who established a fur trading venture there in 1740. 

Manitoba History: Review: Turmoil and Triumph: The Controversial Railway to Hudson Bay

The old Assayers told me about the hardships of working on the railway and what seemed to
be the never ending series of swamps and bogs. At one bog gravel was poured into the bog for
weeks trying to establish a rail bed. Suddenly one day a Viking ship totally preserved arose
from the swamp due to being displaced by all the gravel. The ship rose up, rolled over and
then sank back down into the bog. The Assayers marveled at the occurrence but strange
things happened frequently in the North including running across artifacts from Henry Kelsey.   

Over 1000 years ago the geography of the area which was lowlands to Hudson Bay must have been
very different and the Vikings may have been attempting to travel inland.

Nothing has ever been written about the Viking ship that I can find. Just first hand evidence
from a group of old Assayers I used to work and have coffee with and be spellbound by their tales.
I wondered why those old guys asked me so often how I liked the coffee? I soon found out when
I told the truth which automatically volunteered me to making the coffee!  :o

I cherish the memory of those old time Assayers and also the day I revolutionized Sam Donahue's
breakfast routine and his complaint about waiting for an egg to boil in the morning. Told Sam
no problem, while I am boiling the kettle and shaving, I put an egg on the kettle spout and by
the time I have finished shaving and cleaning up, the kettle is boiling and the egg is cooked.  <-laugh->
Already my course was set to be tinker and an inventor.

:)

Offline Merlyn555

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 11:28:58 AM »
Placerpal that was a post worthy of a campfire and a cup of good coffee, thank you so much for sharing it with us I thouroughly enjoyed reading it.

The idea that the Vikings have visited our fair northland is one that is very old long before it was substantiated by the findings in Newfoundland. Farley Mowat wrote a wonderful story about the finding of a Viking gravesite and set the location in approximately the same area as your story of the Viking ship maybe he heard the tail from one of the old timers you talk of. The fact is though they have been now proven to have been here there is only one true Viking Runestone (the Kensington Runestone) that can be verified and even that one is hotly contested to this day.

The Runestones I seek are dated 500 to 600 years before the Vikings. I know it is a fanciful idea but the runes in Oklahoma so far support my theorry. My real question I quess is how far north did these people travel.

You are quite right in that so far I have not found one authentic runestone in Canada.

Offline tomcat

• PPT Invited
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 12:25:35 PM »
Sorry to interupt...but what are you guys talking about .....I.ve never heard of these Rune or Ogham artifacs you speak of.. <-dont~know->
Do you have a picture of one?? ....so I can follow along reading your posts.

Offline Merlyn555

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 05:40:24 PM »
What we are talking about Tomcat is an ancient form of writing used between 200 and 800 AD in Europe.

Offline tomcat

• PPT Invited
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 05:44:52 PM »
 <-hypnotized-> <-hypnotized-> <-hypnotized->     <-idea-> <-idea->    did it sound like drums beating and smoke plumes  ;D ;D

Offline Merlyn555

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 05:52:24 PM »
Drums beating????????

Here are a couple of pics of the three most famous stones

1) Heavener Runestone
2) Shawnee Runestone
3) Poteau Runestone