collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

mike(swWash)chekaracanada

Dot Guests: 191 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13005
  • stats Total Posts: 130828
  • stats Total Topics: 18306
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Yale recreational panning area  (Read 7528 times)

Offline finch68

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Chilliwack, BC
  • Kudos: 23
  • 50 years mining experience
Yale recreational panning area
« on: September 28, 2009, 07:29:31 PM »
I'm sure there are lots of newby panning folks (like me) that read the posts on this forum.  This post is for all the new people to panning who would like to know that they can actually find gold in their pans and that live anywhere near Yale, BC.

I went to Yale today to try out the Yale Recreational Panning area.  My first stop was the museum where I talked to a nice lady who told me where the panning area is and suggested that I might try out their panning troughs back of the museum.  For $3 I got a museum volunteer to show me how to pan (his method anyway).  He was a marvelous person named Curtis and we hit it off right away.  He showed me some tricks of the panning trade, and in my very first pan I found 6 small flakes.  Not bad I figured for a trough that is used by tourists all summer.  It was $3 very well spent.

Then I went down to the river on my own and looked for a likely spot where gold might accumulate.  I panned several pans and found small gold flakes in every one.  No one is going to get rich panning this area, but it makes for an enjoyable afternoon, and certainly gives your ego a boost and your adrenalin a shot to see real colour in your pan.

I highly recommend this area for fun panning.  Take the kids or grandkids.  If the weather is nice there is a wonderful sand beach for playing on right there.

finch68

Offline lowbike1

• Kudos: 1
Re: Yale recreational panning area
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 01:15:46 PM »
I'm hoping to go here this fall (end of Sept)
Thanks for the info  <-good_>

Offline TimHortonsAddict

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 10:39:01 PM »
I was looking at this post going... oh hell I was there today... only to realize you posted this in 2009!

In any case I was there today and met quite a few... interesting people...

I met a fellow named Dennis from across the street from Yale Rec Site... He came up and said "Hey! Do you mind if I give you a tip?" ... Just then I was breaking a cracked piece of rock apart and panning what was in between it...

He said: Don't dig in the sand here, the better stuff is over in the gravel. I explained I wasn't digging in the sand, and that I think I had done ok... I had four nice really big flakes in the pan =) In any case, he told me to come by his place any time for coffee, and that he could suggest some good spots for gold. Class act =)

I met another fellow named Dwayne. He was from over here in Guildford close by me, he was relatively new to panning and had lots of questions, but he was having a lot of fun finding color in every pan. Nice guy for sure.

Then..... there was a fellow wearing a red fishing vest. He was sitting on a rock inspecting them with a magnifying glass. He was talking about taking all of the moss and burning it to pan. I made sure to mention it was most likely a BAD idea to do so, he quickly started talking about vaccuuming it instead.

After this he explained he had done some panning on Emory Creek (eeep). Right away, that put up a flag and I told him I believe most of, if not all of that creek is probably claimed, some parts by a certain member on this board... I said it would be really easy to join GPEX and ask permission and that odds are the owners wouldn't mind him panning a bit.

His friend then piped up and said the following... and I quote "Ohh... he doesn't give a sh*t about rules and regulations, claimed or not, government or crown land... if he wants to pan it, he will and no one is going to stop him"

Now, all though I don't own a claim... after reading everything you guys talk about, and how much I see the members here put into there claims, I actually got kind of (censored) off. I told him maybe he should think before he acts, and asked him how the hell he would feel if someone went and started digging on his claims if he owned them, and took that one big 1 ounce nugget he was one shovel full away from... I ended up grabbing my gear and moving to another area (It was a good spot too dammit) ...

Anyways, 2 out of 3 decent people aint bad... and finding some decent color made the trip worth it =)
Life Would Be Much Easier If I Had The Source Code!

Offline cujoace

• New user
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 07:21:56 AM »
hey peoples .... new to this prospecting thingy ,  panned before  when i  was a  kid and fell  in  love with  it   <-yahoo_> .  live  in surrey   and   wouldn't  mind  finding other  future prospectors  in  the area  to talk to  about  rec.  panning  or  more  ,   going   to  yale  this  morning  to try  my  luck   <_miner_>.

Offline Top Cat

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Langley BC
  • Kudos: 26
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 08:46:36 AM »
Hope/Yale water is to high.

I will PM you

Offline brotherjames

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 29
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 11:25:04 PM »
Here is a picture from the Yale Rec site from June 1 2014.  I think it has gone down a foot or so...  That gravel area is road down to the shore area where you start to see workable gravels... everything is submerged.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
Cheers - BJ.
Doing my part to rid the rivers of BC of their black sand.

Offline lpsumo

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 10:26:43 AM »
Wow, I had no idea it came up that high

So once it starts to go down I guess people start digging up the newly exposed gravel?

Would I be better off learning to pan there soon, or in the late fall?

Offline ryanonthevedder

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Chilliwack
  • Kudos: 18
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 01:47:54 PM »
Wow, I had no idea it came up that high

So once it starts to go down I guess people start digging up the newly exposed gravel?

Would I be better off learning to pan there soon, or in the late fall?

My rule of thumb is that the ground that has been under water the longest usually holds better gold. So dont hesitate to take a run down there if its to do a bit of learnin', but the later you go in the season the better the ground becomes. At Yale though its a dutch auction, because if you wait too long the ground will be picked over. Yale is a great spot to cut your teeth.

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 136
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 06:58:01 PM »
Hi.guys the Fraser has dropped a few feet.but the week of rain will bring it up again.The guy that runs the debris trap on hwy 7 for last 40 years told me the river does not peak until mid july most years.That should give you something to go buy.Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline shannon.schroecker

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 11:59:58 AM »
This is exactly the kind of opportunity I am looking for!  Does anyone know of anything in the eastern or central part of north america?

Gear Pan
Gold Rat