GOLD PROSPECTING FORUM
Last Shout - Posted by: Top Cat - Tuesday, 19 August 2014 15:52
Well, I'm off to the Gold Panning Championships this weekend >being held in Boston Bar at Anderson's RV & Campground. Hope to see some of you there. Panning
Welcome To The Canadian Gold Prospecting Forum.
Please consider registering to gain full access! - Its free and only takes a few seconds to complete - Click Here.

Gold Prospecting Forums, Gold Prospecting Forum

August 20, 2014, 03:41:25 AM *
A A A A
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Gold Hog
News: ★★ Join now to access the new downloads section comprising of 52
(and growing) diy prospecting equipment plans, and educational materials. Just click register, make two posts and enjoy. It's that simple!!★★

Home   Blog Search Register  

GOLD PROSPECTING FORUM

Gold Prospecting Forum.

Gold prospectors forum

DIY mining equipment homemade prospecting tools.

Gold Prospecting Forums

GOLD PROSPECTING FORUM mining forum, canadian prospecting forum, american gold prospecting forum. GOLD PROSPECTING EQUIPMENT

GOLD PROSPECTORS NETWORK

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ontario gold panning and rock hounding?  (Read 76471 times)
auhunter
PPT Invited
Trade Count: (0)

Canada Canada

Province/ State: bc

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 0

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« on: March 04, 2008, 04:23:09 PM »

Where are the places that I can pan gold in Ontario? How do I prospect gems and gold in Ontario? I've heard of Marmora that's it. How about Thunder Bay? Sudbury? Timmins?

I've been in BC 2 years and moving back home, and still have a huge itch for gold panning and rock hounding, but Ontario seems lame for that.

GPEX admin
Administrator

Larry

Canada Canada

Province/ State: British Columbia

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 46

Awards Awarded to members who go above and beyond Awarded to members who have more than 1000 posts Awarded to members who have more than 500 posts

My 30 day Activity
8%

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 11:11:28 PM »

Hi AuHunter

Great to see you wish to continue with your interests back east.

If you follow the geological structuring on your mapping (even topos will show a lot), you will find good geology extending from Madoc eastward in an arch, going through the Kaladar/Northbrooke region and up Hwy 41 as high as Kashwakamak Lake (Mazinaw Lake area), and extending further eastward through Lavant Station above Sharbot Lake and into the hills of Lanark.  That whole region has gold and silver, with silver the more predominant.  I'm not quite sure where you might find reasonable placer unless in some of the creeks up around the Kashawacmack/Mississaugagon area.  Good geology also extends further northward, into the Bancroft area.  Bancroft is well renowned for varied gemstones, including Soladite.  I also hear there is supposed to be some (possibly of emerald quality) beryl... probably in that Bancroft belt somewhere.  I wouldn't hesitate to do a little research on the Haliberton to Gravenhurst area.

If down in the Kaladar/Northbrooke/Cloyne to Sharbot Lake area, keep a sharp eye out for ruby silver.  Native silver is also known to the areas.  As well as gold in quartz.  In days of old they used to do a lot of mica mining, and the old mine shafts and adits are many.... so exercise caution as to where you make your steps.

If down to Kingston, do not pass up the opportunity to drop over to Miller Hall at Queen's University (the geology library and, geology museum).  Information is unlimited and, the museum has a fabulous display of rocks types, ore, crystals, meteorite samples and you name it.  A place you could get lost in for many hours.

If I, I would place more focus on hardrock and gemstones, over placer.

Hope some of this may prove of some help.  All the best in your move and back-east life.

Larry

Somebody said that it couldn't be done
But he with a chuckle replied
That maybe it couldn't but he wouldn't be one
Who'd say so until he had tried.
RocksForBrains
PPT Invited

Canada Canada

Province/ State: BC

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 2

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 06:33:52 PM »

Bancroft is a must-do for rockhounds.
http://www.bancroftdistrict.com/Tourism/Mineral_collect.php
http://www.rockhoundgemboree.com/

Check out the Gov't of Ontario's Northern Development & Mines site:
http://www.mndm.gov.on.ca/mndm/mines/ogs/geology_map_e.asp
http://www.mndm.gov.on.ca/mndm/mines/geologyontario/default_e.asp

Have fun!

Have Rock Hammer will Travel

auhunter
PPT Invited

Canada Canada

0.00 Nuggets

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 07:58:09 PM »

Hey...thanx for the info.....I actually feel a little better now   lol
SnowSpider
Loving the life
PPT Invited

Just me

Canada Canada

Province/ State: Alberta

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 7

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 06:41:57 PM »

I grew up in Northern Ont  up in a little place called larder lake the whole town and the surrounding places are all founded on Gold mining   Yes its all hard rock mining and pretty deep  but if you dont mind black flys and skeeters as well as an assortment of other wild life in the bush  you can actually find gold veins in quartz outcrops  Mind you  I grew up in the area and listened to the storys from the old miners I dont know if theres placer gold out there  altho I never really looked but if theres gold in the ground  its a good bet some of it has found its way into the streams too I have a pic of some Nice gold Veins in some quartz I picked up way out in the bush over 20 years ago your post made me dig it out to look LOL  I forgot I even had it ..
Dave

Cold Wet and Tired aint Prospecting Fun??
auhunter
PPT Invited

Canada Canada

0.00 Nuggets

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 01:28:34 PM »

Well...that pic definitely make it look promising SnowSpider Grin   I've have found some good websites since my OP and will post the links and such in Steppegolds placer thing later...Seems that there are area's of good potential in N.Ontario.

Feldwebel Wolfenstool
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 06:38:18 AM »

...the Vermillion River, near Sudbury, has reportedly values of placer gold, most likely from the river re-working an esker...Lots of amethyst prospects here in Thunder Bay.  We just flogged our PGE prospect a couple of weeks ago.  Curiously, no bites yet on our Au claims, even with 2.5 opt Au grab samples. 
SnowSpider
Loving the life
PPT Invited

Just me

Canada Canada

Province/ State: Alberta

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 7

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 09:51:40 PM »

LOL  well Wolf  I grew up in a small town called chelmsford we moved there from up north cuz my dad was a hardrock miner for inco, the Vermillion was just a short distance from the from the Farm I lived on  we did alot of rock hounding but alas  I was a teen in the 70's gold paning was one of the last things on my mind at that time  LOL  but I still have family and friends back there I may go and revisit some of my old stomping Grounds but this time with less looking for the girls and more with the gold pan..LOL

Dave

Cold Wet and Tired aint Prospecting Fun??
AGU
New user

Canada Canada

Province/ State: Ontario

0.00 Nuggets

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 12:46:03 PM »

Hi AuHunter

Great to see you wish to continue with your interests back east.

If you follow the geological structuring on your mapping (even topos will show a lot), you will find good geology extending from Madoc eastward in an arch, going through the Kaladar/Northbrooke region and up Hwy 41 as high as Kashwakamak Lake (Mazinaw Lake area), and extending further eastward through Lavant Station above Sharbot Lake and into the hills of Lanark.  That whole region has gold and silver, with silver the more predominant.  I'm not quite sure where you might find reasonable placer unless in some of the creeks up around the Kashawacmack/Mississaugagon area.  Good geology also extends further northward, into the Bancroft area.  Bancroft is well renowned for varied gemstones, including Soladite.  I also hear there is supposed to be some (possibly of emerald quality) beryl... probably in that Bancroft belt somewhere.  I wouldn't hesitate to do a little research on the Haliberton to Gravenhurst area.

If down in the Kaladar/Northbrooke/Cloyne to Sharbot Lake area, keep a sharp eye out for ruby silver.  Native silver is also known to the areas.  As well as gold in quartz.  In days of old they used to do a lot of mica mining, and the old mine shafts and adits are many.... so exercise caution as to where you make your steps.

If down to Kingston, do not pass up the opportunity to drop over to Miller Hall at Queen's University (the geology library and, geology museum).  Information is unlimited and, the museum has a fabulous display of rocks types, ore, crystals, meteorite samples and you name it.  A place you could get lost in for many hours.

If I, I would place more focus on hardrock and gemstones, over placer.

Hope some of this may prove of some help.  All the best in your move and back-east life.

Larry

Hi Larry,
Are you still active on this site?
Gord

Geo Bill

United States United States

Province/ State: Michigan

0.00 Nuggets

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 02:43:20 PM »

Hello Auhunter, I'm from michigan just over the border from Ontario and we have been finding gold in the glacial till. During the Pliocene (3million ybp) those greenstone belts ringing lake superior had been eroding for millions of years and an extensive placer deposit rivaling any the world had ever seen developed in a broad area. When the glaciers swept south they entrained these sediments and dumped them at their terminal moraines. these oldest of terminal moraines can be found in southern Indiana and ohio and gold and diamonds have been recovered from them since the mid 1800's. Here in michigan Ive found that any river or creek that has a gravel bottom with big rocks will show gold. There are even gold nuggets (everyone I know has found one except me).
When the glaciers carried the gold south it tended to enrich the basal tills the most so anywhere there is bedrock exposed is an excellent place to pan for gold. I tried panning for gold around Wah Wah and the michipicoten river, No luck, not even a flake, we ended up going to the minko mine and panning likely looking mined gravel from near the mine porthole, we did find coarse gold doing this. Apparently the glaciers scoured the place so well that at the gold mining areas theres almost no free gold. The further south you go the more gold you are likely to find. If you pan a creek and dont find anything , dont be dissappointed, Ive found that some areas not a stones throw from each other will go from no gold to pretty good gold for no apparent reason, this is because it has intersected a pliestocene paleo channel. When the glaciers melted there was alot more water running through these creeks, in fact almost all the erosion took place during glacial flood events and little to no erosion has occured since (not even during the 100 year floods). So you want to find bends in the creek that have intersected sediments from a glacial flood event, just look at a topo map and see the tiny stream in the huge valley and youll see what I mean, the water required to cut the valley is much greater than any possible flow today.
 Go on youtube and look up "Lake Superior Gold" watch the video, those guys pulled out 5 grams of gold off the beach from black magnitite sands. Ive found gold in black beach sand on lake michigan, so I would bet that Batchewana bay and pancake bay (Lake Superior Ontario) also have gold, and I would bet Lake huron, lake erie and lake ontario also have beach gold.
 Every gravel pit in michigan has gold in it, maybe only a few flakes per 5 gal bucket but still when you look at the amount of gravel these guys go through it adds up. See if you can get into a gravel pit near you in ontario and set up a water pump and high banker and shovel some yardage through it, I bet you'll be surprised.
 Oh and dont forget the paleo placers (figure it out). Good Day Eh

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: