GOLD PROSPECTING FORUM
Last Shout - Posted by: Goldcrow - Friday, 21 November 2014 05:40
You aren't that far from the Peace River, could try Hines Creek too. More black gold than the gold stuff around there. Though you can pan at midnite, from the lite from the flares burning, eh?
Welcome To The Canadian Gold Prospecting Forum.
Please consider registering to gain full access! - Its free and only takes a few seconds to complete - Click Here.

Gold Prospecting Forums, Gold Prospecting Forum

November 23, 2014, 08:53:36 PM *
A A A A
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
advertise
News: ★★ Join now to access the new downloads section comprising of 52
(and growing) diy prospecting equipment plans, and educational materials. Just click register, make two posts and enjoy. It's that simple!!★★

Home   Blog Search Register  

GOLD PROSPECTING FORUM

Gold Prospecting Forum.

Gold prospectors forum

DIY mining equipment homemade prospecting tools.

Gold Prospecting Forums

GOLD PROSPECTING FORUM mining forum, canadian prospecting forum, american gold prospecting forum. GOLD PROSPECTING EQUIPMENT

GOLD PROSPECTORS NETWORK

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Is it worth recovering flour gold or gold dust this fine.  (Read 39363 times)
JacobSmalls
Trade Count: (0)

United States United States

Province/ State: tn

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 0

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« on: September 04, 2009, 06:44:07 PM »

Ive got an area where I can pull out about this much magnetite in a pan and under it is always a very fine layer of bright yellowish orange gold dust or flour gold. It sticks to the pan like glue almost when you wash the sand out.  Its very very time consuming to get to this gold however and about the only way to do it is very slowly with a pan. Its hard to notice in the picture but its just a very thin layer under the magnetite. I also usually lose a bit of it while using a magnet to get out the magnetite.

Anyone got a faster way to get this stuff out without losing it. My trick now is panning in a bin at home full of jet dry so none of the small stuff floats away. Its how I am able to keep a lot of that stuff in the pan. If I had a much more efficient way of doing this without losing any I could likely make some money doing it.

Vikingsniper
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 07:28:25 PM »

Hi JacobSmalls and Welcome to the forum  cool
What part of Tennessee are you from or dig in Huh?? and how much dirt did you wash to get those colors?Huh
I would hold on to your blacksand......here is a link to older post on this forum Black Sand under Microscope
JacobSmalls

0.00 Nuggets

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 07:37:55 PM »

Thanks and I live near the cherokee national forest. I got a sister in law that owns some private land up there probably around 40 acres and it has one creek running through it and one running off a mountain into it. That was a double handful of dirt. . I found an old dried branch of a creek and followed it some ways. It was very hard to notice as it was in the woods and covered with leaves. It hit a turn and on the inside turn was a mound. i dug it out and it was full of dense almost store bought grey clay full of this stuff. Magnetite is thick in it and so is fine gold. Not sure how deep it runs though but Ive got about 50 square feet exposed on the ground to dig through now. It was covered with leaves. No telling how long that golds been trapped there but it could be recent. Water does flow down that channel in flash floods.

Edit but keep in mind. Getting to this takes a lot of patience. I shake and tap then wash just one layer at a time. Slow slow going. Thats why I am trying to find a better way to speed this up but a sluice etc. would just blow this gold right out the other end.

Vikingsniper
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 07:58:26 PM »

That area is know for gold  Yes I think you may have a Great spot....private land too  Good
I have a Pyramid Pro Pan,Rotopan and they are much faster at processing dirt....go to a local prospecting shop and take a look at some other equipment as well.....for the amount of dirt you washed,there some nice fine gold....try and find bedrock, look in crevices and clean them out.....you might find some nice pickers  Yes
JacobSmalls

0.00 Nuggets

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 08:06:07 PM »

Theres a lot of gold here. Thing is most people dredge or sluice or stick to areas near roads. Im ex military so hiking a good 7 to 8 miles in national forest land does not bother me. I can go in early pan down some concentrates and pack them back out. The trip back out with all that weight sucks but its worth it. I also use my sister in laws private land since here recently after digging around and doing some tests.

The trick to panning around here is finding where someone has dredged a lot of material near a clay bank as well. This puts a lot of fine gold into it and it does not easily wash away once it gets stuck in it. The clay here is like that brick stuff you buy at a store no joke. Also I never pan out in the woods. I save it and take it home. Those woods are so dark you cant see half of what you might get. I take a tub and sit out in the bright sun with a waterhose by my side. Sit and do concentrates for an hour or 2 and you find a lot more that way. Every little piece reflects with the sun.

Thats another good pic showing how much magnetite I get in just a little bit of material. A lot. ALways a thin film of gold right underneath too but its like powder.
Greenhorn

Canada Canada

Province/ State: Alberta

0.00 Nuggets

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 08:46:20 PM »

Maybe build a miller table?   just a thought.  If you do a search for miller tables on this website you will get a few discussions and some pictures of setups.  I'm in the process of building and testing one to separate the fine gold from the black sand.

Vikingsniper
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 08:48:47 PM »

Every little piece reflects with the sun
Hmm  Thinking If every little piece reflects with the sun it may be Pyrite/Hematite
Hematite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Pyrite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know I seen fine gold in the first picture  Yes
spud
PPT Invited

Australia Australia

Province/ State: Victoria

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 1

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 11:25:32 PM »

Ive got an area where I can pull out about this much magnetite in a pan and under it is always a very fine layer of bright yellowish orange gold dust or flour gold. It sticks to the pan like glue almost when you wash the sand out.  Its very very time consuming to get to this gold however and about the only way to do it is very slowly with a pan. Its hard to notice in the picture but its just a very thin layer under the magnetite. I also usually lose a bit of it while using a magnet to get out the magnetite.

Anyone got a faster way to get this stuff out without losing it. My trick now is panning in a bin at home full of jet dry so none of the small stuff floats away. Its how I am able to keep a lot of that stuff in the pan. If I had a much more efficient way of doing this without losing any I could likely make some money doing it.

Always!! why would ya dig it up and put it back --grin
JacobSmalls

0.00 Nuggets

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 03:51:06 AM »

Every little piece reflects with the sun
Hmm  Thinking If every little piece reflects with the sun it may be Pyrite/Hematite
Hematite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Pyrite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know I seen fine gold in the first picture  Yes

Na the way it sticks to the pan and the color of it. By reflecting I meant that I can see them much better out in the light than in the woods where it almost looks like evening all the time. Its such small stuff though, Im probably going to take a long long hike to get away from any heavy panned areas along the south east boreder of TN and NC. The streams coming off those mountains probably are full.

lsfog
PPT Invited

Canada Canada

Province/ State: Alberta

0.00 Nuggets

Kudos: 1

My 30 day Activity
0%

Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 07:05:36 AM »

All that off a couple hands full? Man I wish I had your problem......
Sounds like you need a small trommel to do the clay busting and slurry-ing then into a small sluice for heavyies reduction. You will be hikeing home packing a couple coffee cups of cons.
E me and I'll walk you thru a small -- hand transportable unit that I worked up.
It's all 12 v driven [4 hrs. run time on a motorcycle battery] so it's nice and quite.
Wouldn't want you to miss out on those lovely "nature" sounds back in the woods.....
lsfog

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Jump to: