collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

garryk50mike(swWash)

Dot Guests: 225 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12981
  • stats Total Posts: 130388
  • stats Total Topics: 18244
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Indian site  (Read 6105 times)

Offline rockpup

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Lethbridge, Alberta.
  • Kudos: 7
  • Yar der be gold in dem pans!!
Indian site
« on: June 16, 2008, 08:20:07 PM »
 Here is a example of a kill site used by indains. I would guess the buffolo naturaly liked the area, because of the buffolo stone. I found numerous amounts of bone fragment and one arrowhead fragment in the water of the lake below it. This must have been a buffolo jump  alot of the bone is broken up from lake weathering but im not sure if all was . I have found a few pieces in the lake bank,it is a good 20 inchs below surface it has been there hundreds of years judging by the amount of soil between were I found it and the grass.Notice how the lichens are gone and the buffolo stone is very worn down in the corners, if you could see it it would look like it was polished by a machine.
Also you can see the indentations of the 1000's of buffolo rubbing there winter shed off on the rock.

These are things to look for if you think you have found one. It is important no to remove any rocks or natural carins ,so that the pro's can come in if its a new site. Im not sure but if its a surface find I think you must report your findings. Im not sure if they will take it from you but Im sure if it is improtant they will,but will credit you with the discovery. I am certain there is alot of places that have been forgotten in time ,plowed over or vandalized. So lets try and keep these places around for others to enjoy.

Offline Tricky

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Williamstown South Australia
  • Kudos: 2
Re: Indian site
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 03:20:26 PM »
That was very intersting I find it very interesting to see the remains of an old stone fence.  We have hundreds if not thousands of kilometres of stone fences throughout the hills here made by our pioneers.  Just to think how much labour and hours went into putting these fences up and most are still standing now "vandals" havent thought about detroying them YET. 
OUrs were made to keep rabbits out and the livestock in.  Now it is wire fenceline and a tractor with a post borer on the rear putting in a couple of kilometres a day.
What is the story with the Buffalo stone Sorry for my ignorance
 <-wave->

Offline rockpup

• PPT Invited
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 08:55:14 AM »
The buffalo sstone was used by animals to rub there winter hides off.Like a big scratching stone,it is so well used the corners are rounded off and polished smooth.Hundreds of thousands of buffalo used it.Just imagine a herd 3 miles long.Im not sure why the fence is there it could have been for a drive lane to help them guide the buffalo into the buffalo jump.Im sure that this spot was a old buffalo jump.This site could be up to 7000 years old.Its very amazing that places like this are atill around today.

I find it intresting on how much austrlias pioneers remind me of canada's.Even your frontier towns looked like ours.Betcha theres some neat old ghost towns where you live tricky.

Offline Tricky

• PPT Invited
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 05:25:44 PM »
Not so much of the old ghost towns near me but north there are townships you could class as ghost towns.  Unfortunatley here if no one wants a building or they shut down a town for any reason they seem to demolish everything.  Its a pity.  There are some townships in Victoria that are only seen when the water in the catchment dams are low as they have been engulfed in rise of the water. 
The story of the buffalo stone is very interesting.  I at first thought it may ave been a stone the indian tribes used to skin the buffalos on.  Aussie lack of knowledge onthe oversea past.  Keep up the storys they are great to read. 

Offline rockpup

• PPT Invited
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 06:34:10 PM »
I plan on visiting a few more sites this year.I have some great ghost town leads.I am also trying to find a few indian sites I have in a book.I found one last year and plan on visting it again this year.

Offline Tricky

• PPT Invited
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 04:10:36 AM »
Terrific Keep us informed on how you went.  Its very interesting to me <-good_>
 <-wave->

Offline MrDave

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Central Alberta
  • Kudos: 8
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 09:24:40 PM »
I grew up along an old Indian trail. We plowed up pemican quite often. It too several tries to get taken seriously. Even all those years later, we could see the berries and the shape of the hide wrapper that it was buried in. The old Indian graves where I grew up are disappearing under the tires of quads. Most people don't even know what to look for. Thanks for more learning oportunities.
Happy to have achieved Dirty Old Man status. Finally a goal achieved.