collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 147 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12992
  • stats Total Posts: 130653
  • stats Total Topics: 18283
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Preventing Rock Falls in Underground Mines  (Read 4957 times)

Offline centennial

• Kudos: 1
Preventing Rock Falls in Underground Mines
« on: June 23, 2009, 10:48:54 PM »
Heres a good video for anyone prospecting in old gold mines.
Rock Falls -- Preventing Rock Fall Injuries in Underground | MINING.com Video

Offline gpg

Re: Preventing Rock Falls in Underground Mines
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 07:30:48 AM »
I appreciated the video Centennial, reminded me of sitting in MSHA classes, for open pit stuff unfortuneatly.

Offline krueger95

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 06:59:36 PM »
Thank you so very much for making this video available. It sure was educational !
Thank you---thank you !!!
Stan

ClickTheYellowChick

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 10:25:21 PM »
Yes, Stan, that is a very revealing and educational video. 

Do you have access to MSHA training days or something equivalent in your area?

It seems like this preventative stuff only surfaces when there is a cave-in, and grabs national headlines due to the horrific tragedy that then unfolds.

Kind regards.

Offline Yukon Digger

• Province/State: Yukon Territory
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 10:09:51 PM »
Best thing a prospector can do is get on as a underground labourer for a few months. You learn to get safe and the skills real quick.

Offline PlacerPal

• Kudos: 36
    • Discover the Difference
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 11:40:12 PM »
Best thing a prospector can do is get on as a underground labourer for a few months. You learn to get safe and the skills real quick.

Yes, to be sure. And one of the first things learned is what a scaling bar is and how to use it.

I get shivers when I read about people going into old mine shafts, drifts and adits. When I
worked underground as a mucker, my first job on the shift was to scale the drift from the
cage to the working face. It became boring very fast.

The one day I learned the value of daily shift scaling.

My father was a mine supervisor. On his crew he had the most handsome Swedish miner, a guy
named Karl, who had a beautiful wife and family. He was my dad's favourite in his own way and
dad kept a close eye on Karl. I think dad has some sort of ESP after 35 years in mining.

I worked underground at another at another nearby mine but lived at home due to studies
and summer employment. We met at 5 PM after shift for 1 beer and a snooze before dinner.
This day dad was obviously out of sorts, no beer and silent. Then close to tears he told me story
about Karl.

Karl was working in a stope with an experience miner. This day, they did not do the scaling and
a huge chunk of the back came down near Karl and the miner but neither were hurt. But Karl
went into shock. My dad was called down and he took Karl to the change room first aid room and
made him comfortable while first aid attendants were called. Karl died on the stretcher - from shock.

Dad then told me Karl was scared everyday he went underground to work, but he could not be
persuaded to put in for a transfer to some other occupation.

Moral of the story, don't work underground if one is constantly afraid and do the scaling!

:(

Offline centennial

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 12:25:56 AM »
I am constantly checking the ribs and backs, sometimes you spot something a bit suspect and when you have a go at it with the scaling bar you really have to work to bring it down, other times its just the slightest tap and down it comes, its very hard to tell just by looking, which is what most inexperienced prospectors do. You need that bar and sound the ribs and backs all the way in.

Offline PlacerPal

• Kudos: 36
    • Discover the Difference
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 01:01:47 AM »
I am constantly checking the ribs and backs, sometimes you spot something a bit suspect and when you have a go at it with the scaling bar you really have to work to bring it down, other times its just the slightest tap and down it comes, its very hard to tell just by looking, which is what most inexperienced prospectors do. You need that bar and sound the ribs and backs all the way in.

Good for you!

When you poke at the rock, the rock will talk to you.
It pays heaps to listen to the rock talk.

:)

BC Gold