collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 161 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12550
  • stats Total Posts: 124609
  • stats Total Topics: 17236
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Author Topic: Shipwreck Hunting  (Read 3599 times)

Offline GPEX admin

• Administrator
  • Province/State: Hope, BC Canada
  • Kudos: 47
  • Larry
    • GPEX Gold And Platinum Explorations
Shipwreck Hunting
« on: January 26, 2008, 02:43:48 PM »
Iíve done a fair amount of research into this facet of consideration, mainly during the 14 years I lived in Nova Scotia.  East coast wrecks from olden times are far beyond normal comprehension, when taking into consideration the fishing fleets of long ago.  And artifacts from even these would be most valuable, and range from brass items such as bells, compasses and other similarly fashioned hardware.

In more modern times, searching for the many casks of early 1900ís contraband liquor, hidden in bogs all along the coastline during prohibition years, would prove a definite prize, as when the smugglers were caught and taken out of the picture, many such stashes were left behind.  In another post relating to the sea, I will acquaint you to a well notarized officer of the high seas off Nova Scotian shores, an individual I knew personally, and who is the father a long time friend.  He may likely have passed by now, but I'll see if I can get a handle on the book written about him.  Excellent reading.

The biggest attractors on the east coast, which sets the mind awhirl, would be, of course, old sunken galleons and Spanish and Pirate treasure ships.  And treasures which some of these priates hid along east coast harbours and inlets.

All this mention now reminds me, that we ourselves, have to get back down there to follow up on some of my own research - - if correct in my calculations, the prize would be one of the greater treasure ships of early times. 

Several years ago I had the privilege of becoming acquainted to Terry Dwyer, a professional east coast shipwreck hunter.  Itís been a short while since our last contact, but I have dropped him a note, inviting him to pop in and do a few posts.  Hopefully he has the time.  In the interim, here's a few links to check out - - relating to he and his business.

http://www.wreckhunter.ca/index.html
http://nswrecks.net/index.html

- - maybe some of you might make a few posts from excerpts of his travels.

For those either bearing such interest but haven't yet done it, or those who have actually partaken in wreck hunting ventures, be it small or large, professional or otherwise, or simply doing research into this amazing arena, lets start filling the pages with your shipwreck treasure hunting stories.
Somebody said that it couldn't be done
But he with a chuckle replied
That maybe it couldn't but he wouldn't be one
Who'd say so until he had tried.

Offline feeftynorth

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Southwest British Columbia
  • Kudos: 1
Re: Shipwreck Hunting
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 08:23:02 PM »
Hi Larry;
  Haven't hunted a shipwreck in many years, (30+) however with new google earth features, and other new technologies, along with a spike in Gold prices I could be enticed to search again, following the usual old stories.
  Feefty