collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

BC Handymangeezir

Dot Guests: 120 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12582
  • stats Total Posts: 124312
  • stats Total Topics: 17287
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Author Topic: The Color of Gold  (Read 4099 times)

Offline GPEX admin

• Administrator
  • Province/State: Hope, BC Canada
  • Kudos: 47
  • Larry
    • GPEX Gold And Platinum Explorations
The Color of Gold
« on: January 26, 2008, 01:19:16 PM »
How do I identify if that in my pan is really gold?  A color-related question asked by many newcomers.

Generally speaking, most would say, youíll know itís gold when you see it.  Other might say, look at your ring, thatís the color it should be.  Both, and other versions would be correct, of course, but, what color actually, is gold?   We all know of the yellow gold, but for those of us not familiar with the many variants, gold can come in several colors.  Notwithstanding other tones, etc, gold nuggets can be grayed, black, red, even green - - this all depends on the coating taken on if in heavy mineralized areas, and under the right chemical conditions.  It is said the assayer of old, could tell exactly where the gold came from, according to it color appearance.

More input on this topic is petitioned, whether from actual recovery by the person or from area research.  Yet remember, we are speaking of identifying by color only, and not from other means of testing gold.  Photos most welcomed.

Here in BC, we have many mining regions, or gold camps per se.  The same would apply for our neighbors north, east and south, and likewise for those of other countries.  So lets start cataloguing, gals and guys.  It will be interesting to see the variants per the regions.
Somebody said that it couldn't be done
But he with a chuckle replied
That maybe it couldn't but he wouldn't be one
Who'd say so until he had tried.

Offline Auminer

• Placer Miner and Photographer
  • PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Haines, Alaska
  • Kudos: 0
  • Alaska
    • Photographer
Re: The Color of Gold
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 09:02:30 PM »
It is said the assayer of old, could tell exactly where the gold came from, according to it color appearance.
Well I've heard it called the "fingerprint" of gold, not necessarily by only the color.  That could mean many things, shape as such wire, slugs, roughness, "old gold" (which is another topic), quartz or other intrusive content, these all lend to a educated guess by the assayer or miner that is geology aware of a particular area.
"Exactly" would have to mean the general drainage or mine in the same substrate.

If it sparkles it isn't gold...

Dave
Dave

Offline deserdog

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: USA California
  • Kudos: 4
  • On the creek,, moving some material!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 11:36:10 PM »
There were ome placer deposits in the Mojave desrt that gave up several shadesof gold. And from what I was told, each shade represented a different period of mineralization, hence the different shades.
Cannot find if you do not look!

Offline willy

• Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 10:08:42 AM »
 If you look at what you have in the pan, gold won't change color as you tilt the pan. Pyrite will be shiny and then turn dark. As a buddy of mine used to say re. gold " shines like a diamond in a goat's a$$". Also, you can pull out a speck and smack it with a hammer. Gold will flatten out while Pyrite turns to dust. The same goes for Mica.. though it will generally stay on the top and look purty.. purty worthless. ..Willy.

Offline Geo Jim

• Placer Geologist
  • PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Anchorage, Alaska
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 11:25:47 PM »
Hi Willy,
I will tell you the best sign of gold after its color. It is its weight which I use as a confirmatory sign. Gold is very heavy and it acts heavy in your pan. All the rock particles will wash to and fro much faster than gold. Gold is much more resistant to moving, so it lags behind. So if it is gold colored and lags behind, it is gold.

Be suspicious of all particles that lag behind even if they are not gold colored. They could be coated gold or platinum or amalgamated gold. It does not matter, if it acts heavy check it out or keep it. ;)
Geo Jim
Jim Halloran