collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Eh U Guyz

Dot Guests: 169 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13002
  • stats Total Posts: 130770
  • stats Total Topics: 18300
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Pros and Cons of a Mom & Pop Hardrock Operation  (Read 31477 times)

Offline Mad Machinist

• Kudos: 0
Re: Pros and Cons of a Mom & Pop Hardrock Operation
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2011, 10:39:17 AM »
THis post is the reason why I registered here in order to give some insight into what it takes to get a small hard rock operation started.

Equipment:

Currently very little is available to the small operation. And that equipment that is available isn't really tuned to small scale production. We have a small jaw crusher made by one of the leading manufacturers for the small guy and to be quite honest it is junk. I spend more time working on it than crushing rock. It is currently undergoing a complete redesign.

Explosives:

Forget about it. After almost a year of trying to get certified through our illustrious gov't organizations here in the States, I gave up and found a different way. The best option we have found is the microblaster, but it has it's disadvantages too. Face blasting has been limited to about a depth of 2 feet so far. THe center needs to be drilled at an inward angle and blasted out first in order to provide a "relief" for the rest of the face to be removed.

Permitting:

Just a complete nightmare and we have an environemntal engineer on staff .

The big Boys:

If you do manage to find something lucrative, then be ready to fight for it as the big boys will try to find anyway they can to "steal" it from you.

Right now, we are finally gearing up for full scale mining after a two year process to get everything in order. We are running about 1.5 oz. per ton of silver and 4 ounces per ton of gold. According to core samples, there is a vein of native silver around 100 feet from the current face. At this time we do not know the extent of it as we have only had the vein cored 1000 feet from the current face and to a depth of 100 feet. Coring gets expensive real quick.

Still what we have here now will last us a lifetime at the rate we are mining

Edit: typo on silver content. was 15 oz. per ton, should have been 1.5 oz per ton

Ban mining and let the idiots freeze to death in the dark.

Offline ALDORADO

• Kudos: 1
  • Formerly known as "Stoner"
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2011, 02:30:27 PM »
Well that sounds promising, thanks for the info.

Offline Ohtaror

• Province/State: Belgium
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2011, 03:26:55 PM »
Since I'm not a native English speaker: "Mom & Pop" is just a term for a family company so in other words small scale? Or is there a stricter definition?

Interests me quite a lot since in my opinion this is way more fascinating than placers. Placers can be very rich and complex as well but a hard rock has some more magic and needs another form of mapping, structural control, etc.

But it appears to me from this thread that it becomes 'not done' in North America?

Offline Mad Machinist

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2011, 04:21:37 PM »
Ohtaror,

"Mom & Pop" refers to most little guys mining. It is usually a small family operation or a small group of people getting together to mine a claim.

THe reason in is no longer as common here in the States is due to draconian environmental laws and a permit process that has been designed to deny all permits to anybody who does not have a lot of money backing them.

Of course, when you have the big mining companies and the environemntalists on bed together, you end up with the little guy being squeezed out of the picture and the unemployment rate going through the roof.

I know of quite a few small deposits of both silver and gold where permits were denied over crap and the claims were sold out to the big boys for a value equivalent to pennies on the dollar of the actual value of the deposit.

Offline Guest

• New user
  • Province/State: bc
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2011, 06:01:55 PM »
Been thinking about it, and a Mom and Pops operation, in my belief would be a small family type run operation, now even HARDROCK  mining this would be possible, ya know looking at things and not looking at trying to waste a mountain and make millions, but maybe a small knob of rock or running a drift chasing a quartz vein or something, SMALL SCALE  is what I'm talking, it is possible, just for folks looking to make a small comfortable living, not a few million a year, yup I do believe it is possible and theres ground out there somewhere to prove me right.... <-shock_> <-yahoo_> <-good_> <_miner_>..........Guest

Offline ALDORADO

• Formerly known as "Stoner"
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2011, 07:41:43 PM »
I agree and would like to think that there are a few fellows here that do get by on small scale mining alone?

Heck even the Hoffman's pulled 20 ounces in a summer and they ran most of the year without riffles.  <-thinking->

I would bet a little homework could replace a few of those guys and some of that machinery. (Not that it wouldn't be handy.)

Offline Guest

• New user
  • Province/State: bc
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2011, 07:45:50 PM »
I know of a guy down around Cache Creek BC doing just that sort of thing, by himself, hard rock lode mining, seems to be making ends meet, KUDOS to  him, looking for something along those lines myself, keeping my eyes open, never know it might happen..............Guest

Offline Mad Machinist

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2011, 08:47:30 PM »
 I fully believe that a small mom and pop could make a very good living if a few laws were changed. And there would be alot less damage to the environment due to smaller footprints.

Offline buckshotbob

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 6
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2011, 09:30:43 PM »
Too you B.C. boys don,t let them take your mom and pop designation from you, here in ontario its impossible to do anymore LEGALLY.

If your getting away with it keep your gold close and your mouths closed.
B.C. HAS CREEKS SATURATED with mercury because of mom and pop mining.

To our american friends ,you guys got it made because you vote in your officials, here we are stuck with one pinhead after another.
This coming spring our mining act is changing and mining and mines are targeted to disappear.
enviromental is killing us on a daily basis thks to the global warming bull.

Ask our albertans where they get the oil from,  oilsands made from dinos and veg matter buried in the tar sands.
Question didn,t dinos live where it was really warm. I think the planet must have been a lot hotter then it is now for them to live that far north.
Sorry about the people we will lose in the 3rd world countries  along the oceans but please tell me what that has to do with mom and pop earning a non welfare paid living of the land.

Some al gorites might take offense to this but your ancesters were digging coal to keep their butts warm so you could be here to complain.

Offline buckshotbob

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 6
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2011, 09:35:53 PM »
Grey wolf  i would bust rock on any mountain of your chosin with you just cause i aint no harley ridin yuppie either

BC Gold