collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 199 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12982
  • stats Total Posts: 130403
  • stats Total Topics: 18249
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Is this free standing Gold?  (Read 4164 times)

-XE-Klump

Is this free standing Gold?
« on: November 06, 2011, 07:12:58 AM »
Is this free standing gold in rock?

Offline buckshotbob

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 6
Re: Is this free standing Gold?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 05:21:41 PM »
KLUMP on my end it looks liks prryhotite

Offline ALDORADO

• Kudos: 1
  • Formerly known as "Stoner"
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 05:56:24 PM »
Can't really judge the scale of it....

But if you can find some nice specimens, maybe slab a few up and toss em on the bay.

Hope it's OK to post an eBay link here: All Categories

-XE-Klump

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 06:38:36 PM »
I was looking at it with magnifing glass didnt see any pyrite lots of pyrite close by in the area tho, i coudnt take a sample it was right on a freshly blasted rockcut on a  hiway and i noticed also it was claimed, thats why i needed to ask if it resembles free standing gold...im still new at this so thanks for the look and see.

Offline doonhamer

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 09:40:18 PM »
I was looking at it with magnifing glass didnt see any pyrite lots of pyrite close by in the area tho, i coudnt take a sample it was right on a freshly blasted rockcut on a  hiway and i noticed also it was claimed, thats why i needed to ask if it resembles free standing gold...im still new at this so thanks for the look and see.
try scratching it with the point of a sharp knife or scribe.If it splinters it's sulphide not gold, does it shine or flash when you turn it under light or the sun? if so it's sulphide.

but... You don't always, or should say seldom do you see native gold that dosn't mean it's not there, just unlikely. :)

Offline Harold

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 12:16:11 PM »
Some of the most costly type Gold Ore out there has normally been called worthless pyrite! Look up the history of town of Telluride Colorado. Gold is sometimes locked up in the Pyrites and Sulphides. A basic Gold testing kit is cheap and will disolve any Pyrite but will not harm the Gold as long as you do not use the higher carot mixtures. If it is Gold in Sulfides then standard Gold Testing just gets out of whack results. Colors on a Streak Plate can be a help but then again different results then a true one can occure if it is not basicly gold in its natural form. Calverite, Telluride and Sulfide Golds can be confusing but those are the types of Gold Veins I enjoy hunting!

Offline Harold

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 12:21:28 PM »
I should have stated "Gold in its Native form" but excuse me as I have gold dust on the brain lol.

BC Gold