collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 170 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13020
  • stats Total Posts: 131073
  • stats Total Topics: 18332
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: NEED HELP WITH LOAD CLAIM  (Read 3174 times)

Offline wkmccl

• Province/State: Lake Park, Iowa,USA
  • Kudos: 0
NEED HELP WITH LOAD CLAIM
« on: November 22, 2011, 05:13:20 PM »
Got a placer claim in AZ last winter. Was there  bout 1 hour got 2 grams of gold.  ;D ( dumb a$$ luck,at the time been a miner 25
years, gold miner 2 months.) Needed therapy for my fever, so I bought a claim in SD. Worked it bout 4 days got -0- grams,but still got the fever. I'm going back to Az, I'm better prepared to work the placer claim. But I like to change things up.So I bought a load claim. Been reading this forum and any thing that can help. So what would guys recommend I take to prospect this claim for the first
time?   Wes

Offline sluicedog

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 1
Re: NEED HELP WITH LOAD CLAIM
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 08:00:22 PM »
Well start with a rock hammer...then make a portable rock crusher/pulverizer/ sampler and pan it out...good luck ...keep us posted  <-good_>
Can't fix the fever  ^#!
I've been fighting it...no antidote  <-hypnotized->

Offline buckshotbob

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 6
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 05:54:04 AM »
   TAKE ME THERE IN FEB lol!!!@*

Offline bigwavedave

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: McAllister, Montana
  • Kudos: 6
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 06:19:51 AM »
Obviously in Arizona, do take along your metal detector.  In addition to the nugget type detector a Falcon MD-20 would also be a help for finding small grains of gold while investigating surface veins.  They work great and though they only cover an inch or so in radius, they will sound off on pieces so small that you'd need a magnifying glass to see them in the vein.  As mentioned above, take a rock hammer. pick, shovel, and don't forget a steel mortise and pestle for crushing up some likely looking prospecting samples.  Then you'll need a gold pan, a little tub of water for panning and you should be able to get an idea of the values you have.  Good Luck!  Nice place to spend the winter too! The biggest thing?...Have fun. There's no use in doing the work if you don't enjoy it!  <-good_>

Offline Mad Machinist

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 07:00:04 PM »
Wes,

The biggest thing you will need here in AZ is water and alot of it. Most of it for you. Even in the winter here, the air is very dry and will pull water from your body rather quickly. That being said, here goes.

On any of the load claims here, I will highly reccomend you carry a scaling bar into any of the shafts or adits here. Poke along the roof and watch for any areas that look loose or have small cracks in them. If they are cracked, scale them down with the bar. just wedge the bar in and it will work loose. Alot of the shafts here are very old and alot of them are unstable.

Keep an eye on any wooden shoring. Unlike the wet rot in many mines, we do have alot of dry rot here. Both are very hard on timbers.

If you see any signs of small sandy type material "leaking" from the roof, back up and get the hell out. That area is getting ready to cave and will most likely drop on your head when you are least expecting it.

Bring a good quality metal detector and scan the walls and floors. Some decent deposits have been missed by a few inches. Also do some research on the different types of ore here. We have alot of them.
Ban mining and let the idiots freeze to death in the dark.

Offline wkmccl

• Province/State: Lake Park, Iowa,USA
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 05:06:49 AM »
Hey Sluicedog yellow in the pan helps a little with the fever! <-yahoo_>

buckshotbob think I'm going in Feb. but don't think your on the way. <-thinking->

Bigwavedave been want'in Md-20, now you say I need one....YES!!! [!!DANCE!!]

Mad Machinist building a trailer wanting to put 50 gal water tank on it. Should be nuf for a couple of days. Don't think there is much for workings, one photo showed an audit 2-3 feet in.    Thanks for the help guys!  Wes

Offline Mad Machinist

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 08:15:22 AM »
Wes,

I forgot two very important things.

DO NOT do this alone. Bad thing happen very quickly and it is nice to have someone to watch your back. Even if you would happen to get caught in a cave, if thet can get you out quick enough you might survive.

And, don't get greedy. Take your time and do things right. From what I can find out, greed has killed more people underground than anyhting else.

Ban mining and let the idiots freeze to death in the dark.

Mining Claims
BC Gold