collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

mentalcoincoinmcbainchekaracanada

Dot Guests: 204 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13016
  • stats Total Posts: 131012
  • stats Total Topics: 18326
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Any Idea what this is??  (Read 2824 times)

Offline sedecatur

• Kudos: 0
Any Idea what this is??
« on: May 21, 2010, 12:02:09 PM »
Picked this up awhile ago and its just been kicking around in the shed. Id like to get some kind of idea as to what its called, who might have made it ect. It has a 5" opening, I know its some sort of power nozzle Just dont know what its really called Thanks IMG_0176.JPG

Vikingsniper

Re: Any Idea what this is??
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 12:24:17 PM »
Hi sedecatur
That is a SubSurface Dredge  <-yes_> looks like a Keene but I could be wrong  ???
 {[update}]
This looks a lot like the one you have.
About Subsurface Gold Dredges

Offline sedecatur

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 12:40:02 PM »
Thanks VikingSniper now i know what it is i can start looking up info on it AWESOME Thanks again

Offline GollyMrScience

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Near Edmonton Alberta
  • Kudos: 160
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 12:43:30 PM »
Yup as Viking says a sub surface dredge. Keene or Keene design knockoff. I used one just like it over 40 years ago. There are improved models now but the old designs were pretty poor performers.
As you see the nozzle is rigidly attached to the recovery section so as you tried to move the nozzle around the recovery system got tilted and banged around with resulting poor recovery.
An improved design hung the recovery section under a float and had a section of flex hose to the intake nozzle so the nozzle was more manuverable without affecting the recovery section.
As I switched to surface recovery dredges I converted my subsurface dredge to a screening system to catch coins offshore on sand beaches. I also used it as a straight dirt mover dredge as a commercial diver to clear sand etc away from factory water intakes.
Nowadays Greenpeace would probably be trying to depth charge you if you tried it.
What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!

Offline GollyMrScience

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Near Edmonton Alberta
  • Kudos: 160
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 12:53:02 PM »
Oops forgot to mention the one real advantage of subsurface dredges was that they could be used in very deep water as you lowered the dredge to the material and not trying to suck material up to it. Thats where the type that hung from the floats really got some attention. Used one like that in lake Ontario to dredge at 70 feet down.
What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!

Gear Pan
Gold Rat