collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

mcbainDhodgins

Dot Guests: 272 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13064
  • stats Total Posts: 131805
  • stats Total Topics: 18417
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Something different for those who must work in non mechanised areas  (Read 4838 times)

Offline willthedancer

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Portland OR, USA
  • Kudos: 6
  • All my hair fell through.
This is a two man hand dredge that I patterned after a man driven irrigation pump. Sand gets pulled into the catch bucket quickly. One man stands on the plank and pulls/pushes the lever, and the sniper directs the nozzle. I made this from plastic planks, sewer pipe, and swimming pool parts for the most part. The only things made in the machine shop are the pistons in the pump,  I machined the ends of the aluminum rods in the frame, and I slotted the lever arm where the piston rod bearings ride in it. [ Invalid Attachment ]  [ Invalid Attachment ]

The filter is just an old cotton sock to keep the sand in the bucket and out of the pump. The catch bucket is an oil bucket with a rubber o-ring seal in it to hold vacuum. The gray plastic bucket bottom fits inside the catch bucket to keep it from collapsing under vacuum (happens when the hose plugs up). [ Invalid Attachment ]

Currently the pump uses standard hydraulic piston seals, but I am going to change it over to foam seals, and use a white PVC pump barrel instead of the black ABS sewer pipe. The black is lighter, but the inner surface is very wavy and not so durable. [ Invalid Attachment ]  

I made this before I got a sucker syringe made.I usually use the sucker, but the two man unit holds a lot more sand, and it really moves it fast. I will post updates and changes as I make them.
Naps are wasted on toddlers, only an adult can appreciate them. Looking for mine now.

Offline willthedancer

• PPT Invited
Re: Something different for those who must work in non mechanised areas
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 05:20:55 PM »
I forgot specs, well not really, but trying to post something large and losing it breaks my heart.
Pump bore- 3" stroke 6"  That combination moves enough volume to completely purge the inlet hose with a 15% margin

I am going to tear the unit down in the next few days, and will exactly dimension individual parts if there is interest. Let me know.
Naps are wasted on toddlers, only an adult can appreciate them. Looking for mine now.

Vikingsniper

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 05:21:44 PM »
WOW  <-shock_> <-hypnotized-> Very Nice setup Will,Great Job Man  {cool^sign} I bet it has some suction Power!

Offline contenderplacer

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: port orchard,wa,usa
  • Kudos: 2
  • somedays it feels like you just get beat down..!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 11:46:37 AM »
ya will has explained that to me..and maybe ill get to see it in action soon...suction??? he told me it will implode the bucket without proper measures to bolster the integrity of the the bucket..ie a frame or something to that effect .thats suction...hahaha <-good_>

Offline chandlersheep

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 08:14:14 AM »
Will be watching for additional info and specs on your sllick machine.

Offline willthedancer

• PPT Invited
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 08:46:21 AM »
You probably know how it is, but one thing pushes out another. I am in the middle of another fairly involved engineering project, hence I have not had time to pull this unit down and retro fit or dimension it. I still intend to do it, but it must wait a little while longer. Apologies.

Offline sniper

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 5
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 11:43:46 AM »
hey will the dancer, did you ever try that salted dirt that you can order from different mines. and if you did, what you get? and would you ever do it again

Offline CaribooAu

• CGPF Sponsor
  • Province/State: Prince George
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 12:59:22 PM »
Very cool project........will be nice to see it in action.
May The Fever Be With You...

Offline Greg in BC

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Dawson Creek
  • Kudos: 5
  • Golden memories are not always of gold.
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 05:57:38 PM »
Wilie - difinitely interested in more info, specs etc - and thanks very much for sharing [-1st-]  Lot's of potential with that bad boy!
Greg in BC

Gear Pan
Gold Rat