collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

garryk50Lanny

Dot Guests: 196 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13064
  • stats Total Posts: 131810
  • stats Total Topics: 18419
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Turnagain Nugget  (Read 247 times)

Offline BLACKPEARL

• Province/State: Van Isl
  • Kudos: 8
  • If you can't grow it....mine it
Turnagain Nugget
« on: February 12, 2020, 06:08:26 PM »
The forth largest nugget found in B.C. and only one still in exsitence . The Turnagain Nugget was purchased by the provincial British Columbia government and is periodically put on display.

https://propertyfile.gov.bc.ca/reports/PF504335.pdf
The meek shall inherit the earth...but not my mineral rights

Offline Newbie101

• Kudos: 7
  • To dig or not to dig, that is the question.
Re: Turnagain Nugget
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 07:58:28 AM »
I guess when you see something like this you start wondering if you should just toss the classifier out of your sluice box. Soooooo how heavy is this shiny rock?

Offline jobinyt

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 22
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 10:11:10 AM »
That's a bigun.  As to not classifying - you MUST classify - go ahead, run your sluice without classifying and you'll quickly understand - your sluice is more than just ' efficient' if you classify - classification is what allows it to work.

So, what to do? Take a quick look through the material that doesn't make it through your classifier. Depending on how you're classifying, you might just stir through your top-of-bucket screen before dumping, or you dump your material on your waste pile and stir/spread it around a bit as you eyeball it. There are wash systems that provide several classification/separation ranges where there is a significant size range of the material you want to save.  In general, best practiced is to classify, classify, classify into fairly tight size range and adjust your sluice for best capture of the heavies in that fraction.

Well classified material will run pretty fast with little loss. Poorly classified material will run much slower and loose more of your heavies. If running some size range through the sluice is not worth it for the little gold contained there-in, it definitely is not worth leaving that material in the next smaller/larger size fraction to run it through your recovery system.

Offline BLACKPEARL

• Province/State: Van Isl
  • Kudos: 8
  • If you can't grow it....mine it
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 04:57:32 PM »
In 1937 Alice Shea found this nugget wedged in a boulder while walking along Turnagain Creek to her husbandís claim in northern British Columbia. It is the largest existing gold nugget found in the province, weighing 1642 grams or 52 troy ounces. BCís Department of Mines bought the nugget for $1500.
The meek shall inherit the earth...but not my mineral rights

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 145
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 07:33:20 PM »
Nice.At todays prices the gold content would exceed 100,000.00.For a collector you could easy add another zero.A friend just showed me pics of a 45 ounze nuggy found at Atlin last summer.It is out there just waiting to be found.Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline garnetsootheran

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Similkameen Mining District
  • Kudos: 29
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 12:17:48 PM »
Further to the story

*turnagain nugget found.pdf

Gear Pan
Gold Rat