collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 226 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13054
  • stats Total Posts: 131627
  • stats Total Topics: 18400
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Little Nuggets  (Read 256 times)

Offline Youngnugget(Goo)

• Province/State: Abbotsford/BC
  • Kudos: 2
  • If ya can still feel your hands, your ok
Little Nuggets
« on: January 14, 2020, 06:14:22 PM »
Here some Nuggets that my great grandfather left me I believe they are from the Barkerville area [<-panning->] <_miner_>

Offline Ruby Silver

• Province/State: British Columbia
  • Kudos: 11
Re: Little Nuggets
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 10:22:22 PM »
Hey Youngnugget(Goo), thanks for jogging the old memory of the first trip to Barkerville with my pop in 1965.  <-yes_>  <-good_>

He bought a pan of gravel to wash, think it was a few bucks or so per pan at the time and the gold he got was real bright like yours.

He also got a mini copper gold pan. The gold in the pic is not as bright, my poor camera I think. The original glass vile got broken so it's in a newer one.

Price of gold has sure gone up since those days.  Mind you, so has everything else except the price of great memories.  <-laugh->

1 Barkerville.jpg2 Barkerville - 1965.jpg3 Barkerville-1965.jpg
Went to the old school of Hard Knocks... Pain is a good teacher. Becareful out there ya'all. :0)

Offline Youngnugget(Goo)

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 10:36:09 PM »
Hey Youngnugget(Goo), thanks for jogging the old memory of the first trip to Barkerville with my pop in 1965.  <-yes_>  <-good_>

He bought a pan of gravel to wash, think it was a few bucks or so per pan at the time and the gold he got was real bright like yours.

He also got a mini copper gold pan. The gold in the pic is not as bright, my poor camera I think. The original glass vile got broken so it's in a newer one.

1 Barkerville.jpg2 Barkerville - 1965.jpg3 Barkerville-1965.jpg
I took some advice from a fella on here and dropped the gold in a solution to clean it up and make it bright

its awesome to see your history in the gold but only if the gold would share it story,  where it came from and how long ago  [<-panning->]
Each fleck and nugget has its own story and thats the most interesting part

Offline Slatco

• Kudos: 3
  • There is no cure for the Fever.
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 09:22:42 AM »
Those pics are great, thanks for sharing.

Offline Xplore

• Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 18
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 01:43:51 PM »
Thanks for sharing these photos!
North Vancouver, BC

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 145
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 07:06:00 PM »
Hey Ruby you are right.Funny what jogs the brain cells.I lived in Hixon in 63-64 the year Kennedy was shot.We all got sent home from school did not mean a thing to us kids back then.I always remember the neighbour kids going to Barkerville a couple times a year and showing the rest of us the gold they got at the troughs.Dad could never find the time to take us,so I never got to Barkerville till I was a adult.Funny thing is I did not look for gold,I spent my time at the cemetary.I found it facinating.Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline August

• Province/State: B.C.
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 08:20:03 PM »
There is a place  in Dawson City that has a beautiful display of placer gold mined from various creeks in the region.Its on the street beside the Yukon River.Have ya seen it? Do the same for the Caribou.

Offline sawdust

• Province/State: Fraser Canyon/British Columbia
  • Kudos: 10
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 10:49:14 PM »
I`m with you on that Mark. The first time I went to Barkerville  in the late 70`s, I did not even get to town. Spent the whole day in the graveyard, fascinating thoughts come to mind while reading some of those headstones. It was a tough life back then and you had to be tougher. One has no idea of the hardships, risks and even the lawlessness those men, women and even children faced. Kinda makes the modern day weekend warrior look pretty soft. Think about it, the oldtimers mined in the creeks under 5 feet of snow and had to hike often times for days to get there. Now, we drive up in our toasty warm 4x4s and hesitantly survey the winter landscape and very few actually get out and prospect/mine. The old graveyard is worth a visit, bring your imagination.

Offline Youngnugget(Goo)

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 10:55:24 PM »
I`m with you on that Mark. The first time I went to Barkerville  in the late 70`s, I did not even get to town. Spent the whole day in the graveyard, fascinating thoughts come to mind while reading some of those headstones. It was a tough life back then and you had to be tougher. One has no idea of the hardships, risks and even the lawlessness those men, women and even children faced. Kinda makes the modern day weekend warrior look pretty soft. Think about it, the oldtimers mined in the creeks under 5 feet of snow and had to hike often times for days to get there. Now, we drive up in our toasty warm 4x4s and hesitantly survey the winter landscape and very few actually get out and prospect/mine. The old graveyard is worth a visit, bring your imagination.
Sounds like the next time i go to barkerville im gonna have to check out the grave yard

Offline oilfieldsafety

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 6
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 03:05:45 PM »
I've been to Barkerville 3 times, the first two I spent at least four hour each time at the Cemetery.