collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 195 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13064
  • stats Total Posts: 131810
  • stats Total Topics: 18419
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Kanaka creek  (Read 970 times)

Offline eoinl4529

• Province/State: ontario canada
  • Kudos: 0
Re: Kanaka creek
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2020, 10:54:34 PM »
I'd be up for a days out in kanaka. I hear the fishing can be quite good there too!!

Offline Newbie101

• Kudos: 7
  • To dig or not to dig, that is the question.
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2020, 01:09:56 PM »
Hi Dorion / BC GoldJunky - I sent you an email about Kanaka Creek.

Would be fun to do a morning/afternoon up there with when the weather warms up a bit and the days are slightly longer in March or April.

The trip could be for anyone on GPEX who is interested in panning at Kanaka Creek - newbies would be welcome!

-Xplore

Hey guys, that sounds like a great trip. I will get hold of a gate key in the next few months just so that we can drive up there in style (Gate access from 49 13 60 / 122 27 42.5). I too had spent maybe a dozen trips into Kanaka back about 10 years ago and would enjoy doing a little digging up near the upper falls. If you want to do a little homework in the mean time there is a local library book called "The golden mountains" written by some guy that lived in the area near Kanaka  around the 1910s onwards and wrote of his wanderings and the mining and forestry industry in the immediate area.

fmc147207

Offline Xplore

• Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 18
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2020, 09:02:46 PM »
That would be great, Newbie 101!

Is the FMC # listed in the bottom of the post yours?

-Xplore

P.S. I have read a bunch of past EMPR reports for Blue Mountain aka Mud Mountain aka Upper Kanaka Creek, and I've heard about that book the Golden Mountains but haven't done a trip to the Maple Ridge library or archives to read it yet : )

P.P.S. I have done a number of day trips to Upper Kanaka Creek, so I have some experience with the gold up there.
North Vancouver, BC

Offline cabbott

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2020, 09:27:14 PM »
The old Walton mine site is still there, can drive right up to it on a quad, easy to find. Can get down to the creek and hike below the active mineral title to work unclaimed ground too. Tough bush to push through.
Gate keys are handy, can get them from the forestry company with the timber lease, itís gated to stop people from torching stolen vehicles, not to prevent people with legitimate access needs, such as a miner who would like to get to their claims. Think iíve still got one around here somewhere. Too bad about the second gate up at the power lines now, but there are lots of quad trails to get up above that.
Iíd head up with you folks.

Offline Xplore

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2020, 03:46:08 PM »
Maybe Easter long would be a good weekend to do a Kanaka Creek day trip for whoever wants to go.

Of course, it would be somewhat weather dependent.

-Xplore
North Vancouver, BC

Offline Newbie101

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2020, 08:07:08 AM »
Awwww, theres a second gate now up at the power lines? Hmmmmm. A trip would be great, I can also find a few friends to add to the panning expedition as well. And yes the FCC was there just because sometimes it's good to show who I am just so that you know who you are wandering into the bushes with. It's more of a transparency thing than anything else.  I think my address/phone number/various other bits are on there.

ron

Offline Bleveque

• New user
  • Province/State: British Columbia
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2020, 02:07:13 PM »
I recently moved to maple ridge, I live a one minute walk from kanaka creek. Right by the fish gate. I also just got my Long Tom Mini sluice in the mail. Itching to try it out. If anybody ends up going up Kanaka creek or knows any good spots around my place then please please let me know. I would love to either tag along or to explore somewhere a little closer to home. Thanks in advance!

Offline Xplore

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2020, 03:30:47 AM »
Thanks Ron, it's a good idea for all of us to do some due diligence before walking into the bush with others - even GPEX members : )

Dan
North Vancouver, BC

Offline Youngnugget(Goo)

• Province/State: Abbotsford/BC
  • Kudos: 4
  • If ya can still feel your hands, your ok
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2020, 10:06:30 PM »
I recently moved to maple ridge, I live a one minute walk from kanaka creek. Right by the fish gate. I also just got my Long Tom Mini sluice in the mail. Itching to try it out. If anybody ends up going up Kanaka creek or knows any good spots around my place then please please let me know. I would love to either tag along or to explore somewhere a little closer to home. Thanks in advance!

welcome to the forum 1 more post and then your a full member

just an FYI it is ilegal to use any sort of sluice that sits in the river course in B.C.

Offline Newbie101

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2020, 06:11:32 PM »
Yes, Welcome Bleveque.  I used to live in that area a few years back and yes there are a nice handful of panning spots well within a half hour drive of your home which make for great prospecting practice or if you just need to cut the edge on the winter blues.

ron

Gear Pan
Gold Rat