collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Hardpan82

Dot Guests: 215 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13054
  • stats Total Posts: 131623
  • stats Total Topics: 18399
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Yukon +NWT metal detecting for nug & exploring for meteorites & stuff 2020  (Read 1560 times)

Offline ykplacer

• Kudos: 25
Re: Yukon +NWT metal detecting for nug & exploring for meteorites & stuff 2020
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2019, 09:13:43 PM »
Hey, YK,

I'll thank you. I expect you've opened the eyes of some members around here - especially the non-canucks. Too bad some sleepy heads can't be awakened but such is life.

hi jobinyt,

I know of a Canadian guy, who loved travelling to the West coast USA  with a motorhome to ride out the winters...thing was he had heart troubles, but when asked he always keep saying he was "covered" had insurance.He made the trip for 11 years  with no trouble....year 12 he took major heart issues while  in the USA,in Arizona...$250,000 dollars in medical bills....his insurance would NOT cover it ....they found a way to not pay him .....he got left paying the bill.

Another guy i knew, had credit card insurance...the bank where he got the credit cards said "would you like insurance on these cards"....he said sure...He was billed monthly ,higher the balance  owing on the cards /higher the monthly  "insurance"payment was..In event of his death all the debts on his cards would be wiped clean....so he thought!!!

Long story short  many many years later when he passed at 76 yrs old, the bank he had his credit cards with , started sending letters to the estate  to PAY THE DEBTS...
The family shot back saying wait, he had insurance on those cards.The bank said SORRY that insurance runs out at age 70!!!! NO ONE FROM THE BANK  ever sent  him a letter notifying him the coverage runs out at 70 years old nor was he ever told about that when he signed up for the credit card insurance that it was only good until age 70...The banks was still actually charging him the monthly insurance payments at 76 years old when he died.!!! even tho the coverage stops at age 70 said the bank.......

So if anyone here got credit card insurance(payed in full in event of death)..make sure you read your fine print.....in the end the family told the bank to screw off,and asked why the heck was ya still charging him for 6 years after the insurance was expired.They refuse to pay the bank...a collector agency called a few times ..even tried a few distant family members to get them to pay it ...in the end the family never paid(refused)...never was no more calls from creditors...

(from a legal person ) they was told You're way better off to forget credit card insurance, cause they(banks or the 3rd party"underwriters")have a high rate of NOT honouring the insurance policy...they was advised you're much better off to buy a small life insurance policy to cover your final expenses.

Offline upnorth

• Province/State: Fraser river bc
  • Kudos: 6
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2019, 01:03:03 AM »
Insurance, that's one of the main reasons I'm staying in Canada for the winters?  I've got at least 8 relatives that are selling or sold US homes and are now staying here. Since they can't golf in Arizona they should move to the west coast ( take up golfing and gold mining) {cool^sign}

Offline ykplacer

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2019, 04:38:28 AM »
One other thing Computer tech, make sure your " insurance policy" covers you to return your vehicle and possessions back home ....Let's say you fall down and break both legs in the Yukon/ NWT,and can't drive.

How are you getting your vehicle back to Ontario from the Yukon?

The out of pocket cost if you're not covered ,will be a pretty large bill.
If you want proof of how much that would cost ya?
Contact an auto mover and ask for a quote to move your vehicle from Dawson City, Yukon  to Ontario...

Offline Computer Technician

• Province/State: Ontario
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2019, 09:28:00 AM »
Hi ykplacer

I will
Thanks again for  {cool^sign} advices you're giving me <-yes_> <-good_>   

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 145
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2019, 07:36:37 PM »
First you got to get it to Dawson city.A gold mastercard without a limit would cover that.No such thing as a friendly cross town tow in the north country,Those guys know where the easy Gold is at.Great friendly people but the cost of living is high.Cost me 60.00 for a chevy lug nut back in 1974.Just saying,Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline Computer Technician

• Province/State: Ontario
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2019, 07:41:09 PM »
 <-good_>

Offline garnetsootheran

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Similkameen Mining District
  • Kudos: 29
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2019, 07:09:31 AM »
Hey CT
Looks like all the arm chair prospectors (?) have the same kind of doom and gloom advice I got back in the 80"s. I am still waiting for one of them to say that there is no more gold left so why would you go do something like that.
Sadly 99.9% of these so called prospectors want to be able to drive out to their spot in the morning, cut some firewood with their chainsaw or pull out a propane bbq, roast a Costco wiener, then pan a couple pans if the sun is shining, then hi-tail it home before the sun goes down. Then they fire up their computer in the warmth and comfort of their cookie cutter house and post about all the adventure they had out on the claim.
Your quest will load your life with more satisfaction in one day than most people will get in a lifetime, you will never regret any of it no matter the results.
Oh and don't stress too much over rescues and insurance and proper planning and etc. etc. etc. The odds of you needing rescue or dying are likely less than for someone living in Vancouver.  <-sealed_> happens everywhere but it happens less when you are you are away from all those idiots around you who cause it, you will definitely be super aware of taking care of yourself and your partner, as your partner will be doing the same.
 <-yahoo_> <-yahoo_> <-yahoo_>
YOU WILL HAVE FUN

* Language

Offline ykplacer

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2019, 01:32:29 PM »
Hey CT
Looks like all the arm chair prospectors (?) have the same kind of doom and gloom advice I got back in the 80"s. I am still waiting for one of them to say that there is no more gold left so why would you go do something like that.
Sadly 99.9% of these so called prospectors want to be able to drive out to their spot in the morning, cut some firewood with their chainsaw or pull out a propane bbq, roast a Costco wiener, then pan a couple pans if the sun is shining, then hi-tail it home before the sun goes down. Then they fire up their computer in the warmth and comfort of their cookie cutter house and post about all the adventure they had out on the claim.
Your quest will load your life with more satisfaction in one day than most people will get in a lifetime, you will never regret any of it no matter the results.
Oh and don't stress too much over rescues and insurance and proper planning and etc. etc. etc. The odds of you needing rescue or dying are likely less than for someone living in Vancouver.  <-sealed_> happens everywhere but it happens less when you are you are away from all those idiots around you who cause it, you will definitely be super aware of taking care of yourself and your partner, as your partner will be doing the same.
 <-yahoo_> <-yahoo_> <-yahoo_>
YOU WILL HAVE FUN

* Language

Hi Garnetsoothern,   :)

.....Perhaps you will volunteer to pay Computer tech 's medical bills in the Yukon if he gets ill?I think what jobinyt and myself have said, is a very valid concern...if you want to throw caution to the wind and take a chance...do so ...but maybe you'll win ,and maybe you'll lose too.

Yukon bills Ontario man $18,000 for medevac

please read, click here >https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/yukon-bills-ontario-man-18k-for-medevac-1.3234259

Offline jobinyt

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 22
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2019, 01:33:53 PM »
 garnetsootheran et al,

I certainly agree with your last paragraph, that CT is unlikely to unwittingly get into a situation requiring outside and expensive help. I do think most of the insurance related comments were aimed at helping CT better understand the insurance/risk curve, than his words conveyed to us misidentified  doom and gloom(ers). Some of CT's more recent comments indicate some progress in that area.

I think your first paragraph misunderstands the advice us naysayers are providing. I think none us want to be understood as advising, "don't go ." It is a grand land. Our advice centers on, generally speaking, no one is likely to drive the road he wants to drive, YT Route 10, aka North Nahanni Range Road, when he plans on driving there, ie, early May.  It is not unusual for that road, plus the North and South Canol Roads to not open until mid-June, heck, a bit later is not unusual.  Winter storm damage: washouts, debris overflows, and missing bridges are common.  And that dashed line on his map heading east - again, travel, let alone prospecting, during May/June are, uh ... much more difficult than in July/Aug and usually well into September. As far as, "hi-tail it home before the sun goes down" , lol, not late May and into late July; the sun will set but you'll have no trouble seeing the glint in your pan, or keeping your journal, all night long.  Early May - better to research/plan stops along the road west of Edmonton, especially northern BC and southern YT - perhaps visit Atlin or Dawson, and monitor the YT highway reports for road openings.

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 145
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2019, 07:32:55 PM »
Hi guys.I think some of us myself included are simply trying to get CT to do a little more research.Some of us have been there and some comments are coming from folks that reside inthat country.It is not as easy as some folks think.Too much reality T.V. Me thinks.Simple little things that can destroy a dream are not showen on T.V. The bugs.The bugs will drive a man insane  before he gets started if not aware before hand.It is the little details that become humongus once you get there.A great adventure can be great if one goes in knowing all the details.There is so much to learn from the folks that have been there.Go But go in with your eyes open learn everything that electronics can not teach you.Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Gear Pan
Gold Rat