collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Hardpan82

Dot Guests: 205 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13054
  • stats Total Posts: 131623
  • stats Total Topics: 18399
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Yukon +NWT metal detecting for nug & exploring for meteorites & stuff 2020  (Read 1563 times)

Offline Computer Technician

• Province/State: Ontario
  • Kudos: 3
I'm planning to go there for several months next year in early summer.
It would be better if we are a few  off road vehicles in convoy  much saver .
I do not have exact plan yet but We can start from YT-10  or we can figure out something else. 8)
Anyone   ?  <-shock_> <-thinking-> <-d'oh-> <-thinking->
It is serious expedition , not a joke .
You have to be prepared  very well
Do not say YES  if not 100 % sure  wanna participate

Offline jobinyt

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 22
Re: Yukon +NWT metal detecting for nug & exploring for meteorites & stuff 2020
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 06:56:00 AM »
Ok, not an exact plan, but can you tell us more?  And like for 2 months - that'd be great - how much gold do you figure we'd get - enough to pay for all the food and fuel along the way, or some extra to take back home?  We could maybe shoot some moose to keep food costs down. You said metal detect - I already got one, but can I bring my highbanker too?  ORV - do you mean something like my Jeep Sahara, or more like side-by-side thing? Don't allow anyone with a Toyota FJ to go unless the road is real good - those things ain't so good as a Jeep. And your map - from Tungsten to Nahanni - do you intend to came back the same way or is there someway out at the Nahanni end? Early summer - May and June would be better for my schedule - or do you mean June and July - not sure I can make that.  What about Reality TV - they pay a lot - or should we keep our trip secret and then go back next year to mine the best gold spots?

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 08:47:00 AM »
Hi  Jobinyt

You have to have money ready , there is no guarantee  for anything .
If you count on making money back from the gold , you better not coming
Actually I have to be there on  May  10th -15th  , summer is short there and every day is important   8)
From May to September   {cool^sign}   We have enough time to discover new places , at least we'll try.
About the gold chances are 50 %   or less no  one can predict in future , it is like lottery ticket  &  we need a lot Luck  to hit the right place.
Just look at  the trip like spending a good time in wilderness , enjoying off road    and exploring   , not so many people can afford  it ,that's why is cool.
To be honest with you , if you have money to burn out do it , if not then  do not !
About the food take what you eat .
Im taking rice , walnuts , beans , Quinoa , buck wheat and so on stuff which can last long time.
About killing for food , I’m skipping this part . if you want to kill  it  , then  do it  . I kill only to survive  if I have to !
Highbanker – It is up to you , bring whatever you want.
Wrangler sahara  must be one of best choices . Do you have winch installed ?
I’m with modified   Toyota  4runner
If anyone come with not Reliable off road vehicle  & if it gets broken there.
Do not know who is going to towing this car a way & will be very costly to get it back where It came from.
I will have Sat phone with me 100% Global coverage which is good
The best option will be maybe abandoning the car  .
Insurance company won’t pay anything until you do not bring the car so they can see it ^#!
I asked them already , how about if I roll over my 4runner
Getting some money from you guys ? She said nope, you have to have the car here  not possible <-thinking->
We have to google this one , there must be some insurance , like extreme off road
Or something .
The map I posted is just an example but we can start from there then we’ll see  what is going to be (from distance can't say )
We are figuring details when we get there.
The bad things are :
Garmin topo map is not dated , who knows from how many years.
Which means  missing  places , and off roads  and so on.
But I have fix for this.
If we have to
I’m  flying drone around in radius of a few km so we can see what’s going on exactly.(small creek,rivers,this is what we are looking for)
Garmin is good because we can use it to get back where We came from
We wont get lost for sure , sat phone will get us out of  emergency
Of course We'd  better not have one
Reality  TV – no idea if you want try to get in touch  with them.

Whatever We have  discovered , we get back to those places next year

BTW
Take camera with  you  ,  making video clips & selling them , not the secret places  :)
Should be  opportunity to get  some expenses back 
I just bought GoPro 8 taking with me
We have 6 months left , enough time to figure out details , they will be a lot.
Also you are going to need at least 10-12 jerry cans full with fuel (look for military ones made of metal, plastic containers not good, smell will be coming out in a several days )
Figure out this one too   {cool^sign}

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 08:57:12 AM »
Forgot to tell you

at least 3 spare tires  <-d'oh->  it would be good

Offline Ruby Silver

• Province/State: British Columbia
  • Kudos: 11
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 10:40:58 AM »
Sounds like a good adventure if ...   <-thinking->

Unless you have had  plenty of experience in the wilderness I would seriously consider looking for a good guide who knows something about the area you plan to go to.

Mother nature is beautiful no doubt, but she can seem awful mean to the unprepared and when encountering the unexpected.

Good luck. hope you find lots of au !  [<-panning->] <_miner_>  <-good_>
Went to the old school of Hard Knocks... Pain is a good teacher. Becareful out there ya'all. :0)

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 12:05:30 PM »
 8) 8) {cool^sign} {cool^sign}

Offline suburbanator

• Adventurer
  • Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 21
  • https://youtu.be/RhFRkgpURW0
    • youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 01:20:19 PM »
I'm planning to go there for several months next year in early summer.

Sounds fun,  but unless I am not understanding your post,  your heading to a provincial park to go prospecting?

I don't have a problem with Ambitious plans,  be safe and do lots of research.  I'd also suggest a back up plan as an alternate final destination.  We've found that several times where we planned on going wasn't reachable,  having a 2nd choice worked out well!

Cheers
Sub.

Offline garnetsootheran

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Similkameen Mining District
  • Kudos: 29
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2019, 04:13:41 PM »
I have to admit that I like this post as it is something that I actually did almost 40 years ago.
Funny how my memories of those prospecting seasons are all of the great times we had. On the other hand it is quite fortunate that I have my journals to allow me to remember the reality of the day to day grind both good and bad.
There was no GPS in those days so I bought topo maps of every road in the Yukon - must have cost several hundreds of 1980's dollars. They are still kicking around here somewhere, likely getting very musty after all these years. The maps were placer maps so they showed all those out of the way claims - we never really used them but like the vehicles full of stuff we didn't use all of it either.
The hardest thing we found to do was to just get going as there always seemed like an excuse to hold off another few days. Weather can be a bitch and the creek we ended up prospecting still had 10 feet of ice in spots in early June and snow fell in late July bringing up the water levels to make things nasty.
Met lots of interesting characters like one one fellow who gave himself the nickname of Dry so that people always bought him a drink at his local watering hole. Also another fellow with a camper full of popcorn because he thought it was the perfect food for survival in the remote bush.
Never had Sat phones then but even now I hear they can be touchy for service, our present method of staying in touch is the Garmin InReach as it seems to work well but then all those electronic gadgets need power - batteries - and that can be a bitch that only a gen set can rectify. Of course now you need gas for the gen set and the gas stations are not as numerous as they once were.
Beware that Yukon is not a wide open free for all and they do have rules and regulations as well as lots of people to enforce them so prepare in that regard.
The gold we found was spectacular but the memories were better yet - as long as I don't go reading those damn journals.
 lol!!!@*  lol!!!@*  lol!!!@*
PS we only had to go about 12 miles off the beaten highway to get our strike - but it was a looooooong 12 miles.

Offline upnorth

• Province/State: Fraser river bc
  • Kudos: 6
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 04:49:33 PM »
Maybe you guys can find an old school bus to live in.😄

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2019, 05:00:19 PM »
Hey garnetsootheran

Do it again   now in modern times :)

The best sat phone service calls iridium and there is no touchy places for it.
This is only the service which has 100 % global coverage , nothing else will work at North Poles
Garmin iridium uses same  satellite  service  , that s why works without any problems.
Solar panel + 5-6 power banks each 70000 mAh  battery packs +  Honda  eu2200i  + DEWALT 2800A/1000W Power Station
I think power problem is solved.

Gear Pan
Gold Rat