collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

fishboy3@telus.net

Dot Guests: 205 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13049
  • stats Total Posts: 131599
  • stats Total Topics: 18398
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Pickers vs. nuggets  (Read 717 times)

Offline Xplore

• Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 18
Pickers vs. nuggets
« on: October 17, 2019, 06:17:00 PM »
What are your criteria for pickers versus nuggets?

Is it weight? Thickness? Shape? Sound it makes?

My arbitrary deifnition would be any piece bigger than 0.5 grams with some thickness to it.

P.S. This definition isn't perfect as you could get a really chunky piece that weighed 0.3 grams and could still be considered  a nugget by some.

North Vancouver, BC

Offline Lanny

• Kudos: 4
Re: Pickers vs. nuggets
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 06:59:51 PM »
Back in the 90's up in Manson Creek, no one there called anything under a gram a nugget, but I hear lots of people now calling anything they can find with their detectors a nugget, so I guess it's a transitional definition, depending . . .  Oh, as for pickers, it was always anything you could easily pick out of the pan with your fingers, but that may have changed as well.

All the best,

Lanny

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 145
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 07:02:52 PM »
Hi.Dan I do not think there are any set rules.Dust is dust,Flakes are flakes.Any solid piece you can pick up is a picker.I consider that to be a small nugget.I think the word picker is exactly as described.Just my opinion of course.Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline JOE S (INDY)

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Trapper Creek, Alaska with Winters in Idaho
  • Kudos: 84
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 10:31:33 PM »
2 or 3 years ago I read a very accurate historical book from just before 1900.  The couple of year "expedition" (with a ship!) from the US west coast was traveling  all around Nome, Alaska searching the entire region for Gold BEFORE Gold was found in Nome.  (Remember Gold was  found in California about 50 years before Nome and other places around the world, for example Australia in 1859, would periodically draw Gold seekers as well.  There was, of course, a lot of excitement in people's minds over just what the value of a Gold Strike could be.)

At one point in the book the term "Nugget" was specifically mentioned and the general understanding at the time was "A single piece of Gold over 6 ounces in weight".    <-hypnotized-> <-hypnotized-> <-hypnotized->

My, have things changed in 120 years.     <-thinking-> 

Joe
Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes

Offline oilfieldsafety

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 6
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 07:45:33 AM »
Great....now I know that I will never find a nugget! :'(

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 145
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 08:13:24 PM »
Wow 6 ounces to be a Nugget.Wonder how many nuggets have been found on the west coast of America?Not many me thinks.Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Online White Dog

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 6
  • Audentes Fortuna Juvat
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 06:32:52 AM »
the biggest ne I found was 17 grams......I call it a nugget.... <_miner_>

Offline ykplacer

• Kudos: 25
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 12:44:33 PM »
What are your criteria for pickers versus nuggets?

Is it weight? Thickness? Shape? Sound it makes?

My arbitrary deifnition would be any piece bigger than 0.5 grams with some thickness to it.

P.S. This definition isn't perfect as you could get a really chunky piece that weighed 0.3 grams and could still be considered  a nugget by some.

well, many have their own ways of looking at things, to some ..03 -04-.05 is not a nugget , and some others might call them little tiny nuggets, or baby nuggets...guys using metal gold pans might call little small pieces clinkers..bigger piece(nuggets) clunkers..big clunker......to each their own , we all think differently .

If one wanted to get "technical" about it, at what ever size the market buyers start paying a premium over the  spot gold price (for nuggets), then i guess that's when a nugget is a nugget.

Yes , the old miners from back in the days would laugh in your face if you call a 0.5-1.0 gram a nugget ok...but like everything else times change...and so does the thinking.... back in the day it took a lot to impress,because there was an abundance when the strikes were being made...you read stories of dipping just 1 pan into a creek and getting near a pan full of gold........anyone have that happen in this day and age?

Joe mentioned(back in the old days) it took a 6 ounce chunk to be called a nugget , the bar was set high eh!!lol....Back then , gold was trading in the range of  $20 bucks an OUNCE....A 6 ounce nugget was worth?....Today in 2019, how  big does the piece(nugget) need to be to equal $120?

Again , .calling a .03 -.04-.05 with some definition  "little tiny nugget", or "baby nugget" , noting wrong with that .

Offline Jack44

• Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2019, 12:31:13 AM »
The March 1979 edition of The Guide To Gold Panning In British Columbia glossary:
Nugget is used to describe any specimen of native gold with a value of 10 cents or more at current prices!!

Gear Pan
Gold Rat