collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 178 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 1

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13003
  • stats Total Posts: 130796
  • stats Total Topics: 18302
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Hoping for some help navigating the rules and regulations in BC  (Read 478 times)

Offline MichaelAnon

• Province/State: Alberta
  • Kudos: 0
Hoping for some help navigating the rules and regulations in BC
« on: October 13, 2019, 01:30:19 PM »
Hello everyone,

I realize this or some form of this has been posted several times on the forums,  feel free to give me direction if I should have  posted in a different topic, I don't frequently use forums in general. I introduced myself on the intro section.

In short, I grew up in BC and am going out for a visit.  I have done a  bit of panning now in Alberta and enjoy it a lot but interested in getting something bigger than super super fine flour out of the Red Deer River  :)

I will be in BC  by mid week. I am going to introduce my  Dad to gold panning as an outdoor activity we can do together.  I will more specifically be in the Vernon area but am willing and able to drive and hour or two if it was necessary.  We know the area fairly well however I found it quite daunting as I started reading more and more about the rules and regulations and seeing that almost everything is claimed up. I have been fiddling with the MTO Map and sort of understand it.  So I guess I have two questions if anyone was willing to reply or send me a message? I wanted to also preface that I prefer not to go to a really busy public area, would rather just spend some quality time with the family or possibly 1 or 2 others.

1) With Vernon as a home base, can someone point me to a couple areas that I could explore and check out without needing a claim or worrying that i'm intruding on someone else?

2) Does anyone have a decent claim that we could spend a day at where we would be likely to have some good success, we just want to dig around with Pan and Shovel.

Anyhow, thought I would ask as I have been doing some research and still really don't feel further ahead on where to go. I have started the process for my FMC and will finish that process when I get there.

Anyhow, thanks in advance for any tips, advice or help you could provide.

- Michael

Offline Xplore

• Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 15
Re: Hoping for some help navigating the rules and regulations in BC
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 08:12:22 PM »
Try mission creek in Kelowna - downstream
from the golf course at Gallagher’s canyon.
Specifically, go to where Hollywood road
crosses mission creek. Dig in the banks where
the material is compacted. Mission creek is a
regional park where panning is allowed, and there
Are no claims at all on mission creek, so nothing to
Worry about there.

Or - go to the panning reserve at tranquille creek
In Kamloops. You’ll have to google that location for
Yourself as I have never been there. The gold is
More coarse at tranquille, but the drive is further.

Hope this helps. Have fun!

North Vancouver, BC

Offline MichaelAnon

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 01:00:36 PM »
I kept forgetting to come back and comment.  I didn't get out on the river a whole lot while in BC,  went to a couple spots with no luck but this is what I found in the end. First time actually out gold panning  as I am not really counting  the brief trial on the Red Deer River in Alberta  :)

Being my first time out panning I think one of my bigger takeaways was just because you found a small flake in one spot does not necessarily mean there is going to be a whole bunch more  in that spot. I think the excitement of my first flake kept me in one  spot for way to long finding very little more.

Anyhow, I had a fantastic time and really cant wait to get out exploring more. Anyhow, not much but was still cool!

pantest.jpg

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 136
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 07:27:34 PM »
Hi.You did very well for panning.The gold is not as great as some make it sound.Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline JOE S (INDY)

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Trapper Creek, Alaska with Winters in Idaho
  • Kudos: 79
  • Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 09:24:20 PM »
"Being my first time out panning I think one of my bigger takeaways was just because you found a small flake in one spot does not necessarily mean there is going to be a whole bunch more  in that spot. I think the excitement of my first flake kept me in one  spot for way to long finding very little more."

Hello there Michael!

If I may, let me mention something that might well have fooled you here.

Gold is found where certain external forces have caused it to "rest" for a while.  Old stream beds, natural holes or protected spots, changes in old river gradients (drop pitches), inside or outside bends of the river or the corresponding widening out or narrowing of streams all cause the heavy Gold to settle in certain locations.  The 'window of opportunity' for the Gold to drop and be captured in these catchments can be a few seconds to hundreds of years - all depending upon the specific circumstances. 

So, if you found a bit of Gold in one spot do you keep looking or do you move on? 

Stop Right There!   <~ShOcK~> 

I suggest that you should continue to work that specific pocket until you are satisfied that "The Big One" (and it's big buddies) aren't just sitting there, waiting for you to pull them out a little deeper down, say on bedrock. 

Yes, a pocket can be holding one or a thousand bits of Gold and only the specifics of that pocket's (or catchment's) creation and structure will, in retrospect, reveal a lot or a little Gold in the end.

Gold Gettin' is a lot different from Fishin'.     If the fish aren't biting in one spot the conventional thinking is to move to another spot but Gold often (or at least sometimes) doesn't work that way.   <-dont~know->

Gold is found where water and other forces dropped it and where there is one piece there well could be more.  When you are sure that one spot is worked out down to bedrock then the next spot (maybe right next door) might have also caught a much bigger one - or two - or three chunks of Gold.  Care, diligence and patience all work to eliminate poor areas and allow richer ones to step forward in their place. 

So, sometimes there is only one bit of Gold in a spot and sometimes there can be many more --- only your hard work will find out for sure. 

One other thing you should hear -- the more experience you gain, over the years, the more Gold you will recover from the same ground.  With use you will improve in your techniques and your powers of observation and that, also, will result in increasing your recovery for the same or less effort.   <-party->

And yes - you'll also simply learn to identify better and better ground as well.   <-yahoo_>

Joe
Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes

Offline johnedoe

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 09:36:51 AM »
Yup.... What Joe said.
He is a fountain of information and it is good to listen to his advice........

Offline MichaelAnon

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 08:24:10 AM »
Mcbain: thank you for the encouragement!

Joe: I didn't have time to reply when I read this yesterday however I am extremely grateful for the time you took to give me thoughtful and great feedback! I am really enjoying the learning process.  I hope sometime in the next year to find an opportunity to go out and learn from someone with more experience.  In the meantime I am enjoying the trial and error.

Question: I dug down and hit some clay, I found a little flake that I am guessing now was on top of that clay.  This clay was packed so tight you literally had grind it back down to something you could pan, it was a lot of work and time consuming. Does anyone have thoughts or experience with this? I originally thought that good gold could be trapped in the clay if I kept at it.  While this might be true? If I only have more limited time, might it be smarter to work spots with less difficult soil?

Cheers,

- Michael

Offline JOE S (INDY)

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Trapper Creek, Alaska with Winters in Idaho
  • Kudos: 79
  • Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2019, 12:32:06 PM »
Mike,

A 'pure' clay layer acts as a barrier to any downward settling of Gold particles - and when that general situation happens it is usually called "False Bedrock".  Of course, true bedrock is the ultimate barrier to any downward settling of Gold, but often the clay can effectively slow (when softer) or stop (when hard) settling.  USUALLY Gold isn't found very much IN a clay layer since clay layers are often found as a result of slow settling out of sub-flour sized bits of ground up rock in some body of water whereas Gold is USUALLY transported and deposits in more forceful water movements.

GENERALLY finding a clay layer means that you would like to test pan the very top of that layer.  IF Gold has settled down over the centuries it might just be sitting right there on the top of the clay.  If the clay is a softer type the Gold might have dropped into it a very short way - every situation being different. 

Now, lets say that you exposed the top of a firm clay layer and found a little Gold on top of it.  What next?  I would suggest to test inside the clay layer with a pan and if there is Gold in it - well then run it.  If there isn't Gold in that clay then the conditions that put the Gold on top of the clay AFTER it's formation might well have existed BEFORE that clay layer was deposited.  The chances are good that under the clay layer (and even more so downward to bedrock) there might also be Gold - and so a test of the sub-clay layer all the way down as far as practical may be advised since that's the only way you will know for certain.

As you go along this twisting ribbon in the pursuit of Gold knowledge you will often, see carefully worded (and not specific) descriptions as I just mentioned.  That is, simply because there are endless variations and exceptions to any rule when it comes to Gold.  So - generally a 'pure' layer of clay doesn't have much Gold in it - while clay/gravel/silt/sand mixes can and do ................... except when .................... or if .................... unless ...................  <~ShOcK~> 

So, all kidding aside, you will become the expert in your own ground in the future.  You will learn it's quirks and deceptions and over time (starting right now) you will slowly begin to 'get a good feel for' it.  Until then, please feel free to ask all the questions you want - that's how we all learn.

And as a final note - learning from others is a very effective short-cut in the trip from "Newbie" to 'Old Chum' (as some old timers termed it).   You might look for a mining supply store near you and stop in to visit them.  There are always folks there (especially in the winter) who are very pleased to talk about Gold findin' until your ears fall off.   {cool^sign}

Joe
Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes

Gear Pan
Gold Rat