collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 166 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13063
  • stats Total Posts: 131778
  • stats Total Topics: 18417
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Water Pumps Gas vs Diesel  (Read 558 times)

Offline Slatco

• Kudos: 3
  • There is no cure for the Fever.
Water Pumps Gas vs Diesel
« on: October 08, 2019, 12:36:37 PM »
Been looking at getting a more serious diesel pump like a 4" or 6" Gorman Rupp or Pioneer for my op. Currently running a Whacker Neuson 4" gas and a couple of 2" Hondas for supplemental water.  The Whacker has a 16hp Briggs and running it with the Hondas burns about 20L of gasoline every three hours. I wanted to compare this to fuel consumption on the 4"  Gorman w 3 Cyl Deutz  to see what was "cheaper to run". After crunching numbers it turns out that the fuel consumption and cost is relatively the same for both options. I guess the benefit in going to the Gorman would be more gpm than the gas pumps, longer service life and only needing one fuel type for heavy equipment and pumps.

Just some food for thought as for my op it was hard to justify the increased capital expense of the diesel pumps over gas. I don't mine full time so I can get away with the gas pumps. If I was changing to more of a full time op, the larger diesel industrial pump would be the way to go. 

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 145
Re: Water Pumps Gas vs Diesel
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 07:32:22 PM »
Hi.You hit the nail on the head.Diesel is much more user friendly.You do not have to deal withbad gas screwing up carbs etc. Watch the auctions.B.C. bid is a good one for getting great deals.Surprizing what you can  get dirt cheap from your hard spent tax dollars.Some stuff is brand new never been out of the crate.Worth keeping A eye on.Luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline liquidsteel

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Kelowna
  • Kudos: 12
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 08:33:31 PM »
Numbers on manufacture specs may add up but numbers on experience don't . I burn almost just as much diesel running by 3 cyl JD powered  trommel 4' diameter 20' as I I do in a 3 inch pump a day just trying to keep my cuts dry. Manufactures make diesel pumps for a reason just like trucks with diesel  engines . I get almost 30 mpg in my dodge 3500...... My wife gets 12 mpg in her hemi jeep... I'd stick with diesel IMO. Maintenance may be more expensive yes  but fuel us cheaper in dyed form.....

Offline JOE S (INDY)

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Trapper Creek, Alaska with Winters in Idaho
  • Kudos: 85
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 08:49:48 PM »
Pumps are always a fascinating topic of conversation with me.  We all understand and use gasoline (petrol) engines first off in our lives and revel in all their sizes and capabilities, but, the potential to "upgrade" to the mysterious diesel has always intrigued me.   

McBain's point about gasoline and carburetors is, in today's world of Gasohol, a very important factor, especially here in the US where Gasohol has been force-fed to us.  If you search the 'net you can find some locations that still market "Ethonol Free" gas - usually called by that term, or sometimes even "Real Gas".

Diesel engines are designed and built to be more rugged and from that aspect I understand that they are much longer lasting.   A downside to that is that "Rugged = Heavy".  All in all, the individual trade-offs for each of our operations finally determine how we choose what we use.  In my smaller workings everything is gasoline and so for me that makes sense for now.  Now, if I find "The Big One" .................

In Slatco's situation it seems that he has found the solution for where he needs to be right now  Well thought out comparisons, based on specific needs, always is a time consuming chore but the knowledge gained is always there in case situations change in the future.

Of course, liquidsteel's point on mileage efficiency is certainly a big factor, too.  After all, BIG Trucks use diesel engines for very specific reasons.

Joe

Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes

Mining Claims
BC Gold