collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Slatco

Dot Guests: 163 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12990
  • stats Total Posts: 130592
  • stats Total Topics: 18276
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Gold Line Concentrator (old time 'bump' , 'wave' table) controls  (Read 275 times)

Offline Lookinghard

• Province/State: mn
  • Kudos: 0
I made a trailer-able bump table but started out cheap with an idler pulley drive. Got it to bump nice and hard at 220 bpm.  Therein is the trouble, nice and HARD, due to the pulley pushing the table uphill, once the stop was engaged it would hit hard.  It had three settings, damn hard, crazy hard and run out of the shop hard. Not suitable for fine gold.
  So I bought the VFD since the price is down under a $100 now.  So without the belt tension-er to keep the table centered in the frame  a rubber bungee was tried. A little slow on spring recovery.  Upped it to a 1" x 16" extension spring and maxed out my counter weight boxes, now it oscillates at 220 bpm quite nicely but with only a 1/4" stroke.  Adding a pair of 4x3x3/4 slabs of steel to the counterweight pulley achieved a consistent 1/2" stroke.  Trouble comes in when screwing in the bump screw, it just freaks out.

With a double ended HD spring snubber on the table I think it can be made to work properly.  Never seen an Action Mining wave table underneath, perhaps that's what they use. Of course if that's the case I could have just as well built a lightweight Gold Line Concentrator like bakergeol and been done a long time ago! No need to make an eccentric even as a regular Wiffley shaker drive uses.  Already had started construction when I found Georges plans.

Any tips on table control would be much appreciated.

The Gold Line Concentrator predated the Wiffley tables in Colorado, were made with two parallel cast iron tables swung from chains driven by a two bladed paddle, a spring would pull the table back uphill where it would bump against an abutment or tree/rock at 120 bpm.  Like a wave table but without a 'riffle' to make a wave action in the water.

Thanks
Lookinghard

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 134
Re: Gold Line Concentrator (old time 'bump' , 'wave' table) controls
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 08:43:24 PM »
Hi.Why? there are much cheaper things out there that cost a fraction of what yo are trying to do.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline JOE S (INDY)

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Trapper Creek, Alaska with Winters in Idaho
  • Kudos: 72
  • Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes
Re: Gold Line Concentrator (old time 'bump' , 'wave' table) controls
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 07:42:06 PM »
Different horses for different courses. 

"Shaker Tables" are certainly good for those folks who approach gold mining as a mechanical science.  One kilo of concentrates, 2 litres of water per second and thoroughly refined angles, degrees and cycles per minute all are comforting when they are reproducible and productive. 

Now, like Mcbain I don't approach mining as a science project, but rather a bit more 'loosie goosie' as an exercise in simple basics.  For me, it's usually just gravity, water and a tap or two on a pan. 

Now I have a buddy, (I call him "Nugget Dan") who inherited a very expensive, large, fully operational shaker table which he ended up installing on a massive foundation inside a building.  Dan, an acomplished professional Alaskan fabricator and retired supervisor / mechanic tried and tried to fine tune that rig to recover the very small Gold from his daily, medium sized operation. 

It was always a fine tuning chore and the last I heard he had returned to the old reliable gravity and water to seperate the Gold out. 

A little more work but a whole less fussing and cussin'.

Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes

Gear Pan
Gold Rat