collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 181 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12981
  • stats Total Posts: 130391
  • stats Total Topics: 18246
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: How to find where I can legally pan - OYSTER and PIGGOTT on Vancouver Island  (Read 216 times)

Offline TheBarries

• New user
  • Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 0
Hello - I am a newbie here! myself and my family are keen rockhounders, but we've never panned for gold. There are a few rivers locally that we can pan, but I've spent the last hour trying to understand placer/mineral claims and figuring out how to map out where we are allowed to pan for gold recreationally in the Oyster River and Piggott creek area. There seems to be a lot of conflicting info online about placer/mineral claims on these two rivers (ie. can I gold pan recreationally on a mineral claim, but NOT on a placer claim?), and I'm struggling to get any sort of recent/accurate map of this area and the claims it holds. A few forum posts indicated that the Piggott was full of placer claims and off-limits, but the Oyster River was wide open. Can anyone shed some light on their experience here, and how I can map out where we could go spend an afternoon poking around for fun with my kids? We're talking an eight year old who will lose her mind if she finds a single flake in her pan, nothing too serious.

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 132
Hi.Welcome to the site.It takes 2 posts to become a member and get alot more info.Spend some time trying to figure out MTO.You will be able to access claim owners.Either type off claim requires permission from the claim owner and most will grant you permission to go panning.Luck,Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Gear Pan
Gold Rat