collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

kodibearmcbain

Dot Guests: 185 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12966
  • stats Total Posts: 130016
  • stats Total Topics: 18185
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Best sluice box set up for very fine flour gold ??  (Read 852 times)

Offline Kingbraydenxx

• Province/State: Bc
  • Kudos: 0
Best sluice box set up for very fine flour gold ??
« on: May 31, 2019, 04:21:44 AM »
 <-idea-> what is the best brand of sluice box I can buy to help collect very fine flour gold ??  <_miner_> <_miner_> <_miner_>
Thanks again
Brayden

Offline placermaster

• Province/State: British Columbia
  • Kudos: 6
Re: Best sluice box set up for very fine flour gold ??
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 07:23:38 AM »
Best is pretty subjective, everyone will chime in telling you their highbanker is the best...

Gold hog have good & proven results with their machines - the piglet is the smallest unit. https://www.goldhog.com/mini_highbanker.htm
This is probably pretty good as well, https://www.goldhog.com/multisluice.htm - but likely it's the same as the mini but with different matting. You could email or call Gold Hog and see what he recommends.

I've used two of Stony Ventures machines, they're built in the lower mainland and use the same matting as the Gold Hog machines and work just fine. You're welcome to PM me and come see how mine works before you invest in one.
https://google.com/

Cheers.

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Ontario, but also prospect in BC
  • Kudos: 35
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 09:06:44 AM »
Look at what others are using in your area.   There are multiple components to a setup and you will want to customize it for your particular situation.  Are you asking about an instream sluice (not allowed in some places), a highbanker or a trommel?  How much material to you intend to run?  How will you load the sluice (hand shovel, garden trowel, excavator, etc)?  Pre-classified material or bank run?  Dry material or wet?  Once you sort out your needs and process, then you can drill down on what would work best for your situation (size, weight, cost, etc).  Lots to think about eh?
See my YouTube channel for fun amateur video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz8kX6AZOeZbRt0F9XqVJA

Online mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 130
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 07:31:34 PM »
Hi.King.It is not the box it is what recovery system you use in it.IE matts.Most store bought boxes come with expanded metal and carpet.Some have some very good minors moss and are not bad.But most of use have learned the hard way.You want to keep your fine gold.Go with Gold Hog matts.Just my opinion ,Luck ,Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline JOE S (INDY)

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Trapper Creek, Alaska with Winters in Idaho
  • Kudos: 71
  • Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 08:17:36 PM »
Hey there, Brayden!   <-yahoo_>

Mark is very correct there - It isn't exactly the manufacturer but rather the operator that gets superior results.

Take, for example, Feed Rate:  Each and everyone of us has learned, usually early on, that feeding too fast wastes Gold recovery.  That holds true for every gravity system known.   It's not a design feature but rather a technique feature that just needs to be learned.

Riffle / drop / moss / carpets of all kinds / rocks / expanded / matting and many other systems of recovery medium all have their place - all the way back to "Jason and the Argonauts" time with "Golden Fleece" being used to recover  Gold. 

So, hard won skill and experience in recovery is the ticket but - How to get that?  The answer is usually to learn from successful miners (Like Mark) about what works best for the mining circumstances they experience.

Some miners contend with sticky clay, some with thin and flat shale, some with tiny Gold sizes and some with other unique aspects of their region.  You will learn from all the other miners you can - and then - you will become a source for someone else's knowledge.

Those who have been around a while know that "The Latest and the Greatest" may not live up to it's hype - and so also, the "Old Reliable" that Gran' Pa swore by may be found to be wanting.  It's strictly up to you to determine what works best for your area.

Mark likes certain mats for the ground that he works.  I like certain mats for the ground I work.  Gran' Pa might have liked cheap burlap for the ground he worked  <~ShOcK~>  we all have learned our personal techniques and materials, and you will, too.

For now - what you need to do is identify the plusses and minuses for the area you work, then talk with those who contend with similar ground and then come up with your 'best shot'.  Work with that and evolve as time moves along.

As my U.S. Army buddies say:  "Improvise, Adapt and Overcome".

As to what Mark has found works best for his ground (Gold Hog mats) - well - I have found that even with very different areas I, also, feel as he does.  Funny that way.   <-dont~know->   lol!!!@*

So, talk to folks - watch videos - read - and experiment.
Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes

Offline slybanker

• Province/State: New York
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 05:58:48 PM »
Years ago, I bought a Goldwell sluice from a guy on the web... Bernie Makowski. You can find him on facebook. The sluice is not cheap, but paid for itself in two days cleaning out a "honey pot" in North Carolina with a four inch suction dredge. It uses technology, engineering, and lateral thinking, instead of miners moss, gold snagger carpet and a host of expensive whatnots and jubles,  that have been added to a four hundred year design.

If a sluice design calls for miners moss or super-duper gold catching carpet, then in my humble opinion, you may be getting sold a bill of goods or in need of being part of a herd of well marketed to consumers. Pictured is a cleanup after four hours of sucking sand and gravel less than 20 meters from a North Carolina state park boundary emblem.
Don't base your decisions on the advise of those that don't  have to deal with the results!

Offline CLHaddon

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 10:25:15 PM »
I do a lot of flour gold work on my claims and I use the "devin drop riffle" mats. They're insanely expensive but also insanely easy to clean out and there's maybe 1 cup of cons on my 10x36" mat.
I run a really hot 10" that flares into a slower 12" with a custom highbanker I built myself.

HOWEVER.... I want to say.. the amount of money I spent to collect the fine flour gold in the last year has not paid itself off yet. I'm a weekend warrior who, early on, became obsessed with catching every single speck and I tend to buy the best/most durable things I can afford and that I can't build myself. I saved a lot of money building my own highbanker but my pump(Keene P90) and mats(Devin Drop Riffle 6", 10" and 12") pretty much ate up all those savings and then some.

If your area has only flour gold then I would highly recommend the devin mats. Close and maybe equal second would be gold hog but I honestly could never be bothered to spend the money to test the many types and combinations that gold hog offers though I've heard that Doc will give you good advice if you ask the right questions and give the right info he needs to answer.

Offline Suave

• Kudos: 17
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 07:41:27 AM »
Hey CL,

Have seen your sluice in action and its pretty slick. Years ago, when I used to chase a lot of fine gold, I used furnace filters for my mats. Worked like a charm, and a whole lot cheaper than anything commercially. Roasting pan for a classifier and a frisbee for a gold pan!

The problem today is there are TOO MANY options to choose from. In the old days, you would be lucky to find someone who sold gold pans. You had to improvise and use whatever was available. Nowadays, its a game of MINE THE MINER and everyone has the best solution. The best equipment I have ever used, and continue to use today, is a pan, a bucket, a classifier, and a shovel!

Take care, and see you at the River.

Keep On Diggin'_Suave

Offline CLHaddon

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 01:00:27 PM »
Where there's a will there's a way! The old timers would find a roasting pan classifier to be downright luxury too. There's definitely a lot of "mining the miners" happening and lots of people tend to get wrapped up in buying gear and expecting that  buying the "best" gear will make up for their lack of knowledge or experience or effort. I know this because I was(and probably still am) that guy.

After lots of testing various products, building my own equipment to my own spec for the specific areas I work I find that the devin mats work really well for me and I do recommend them to people but their cost is off the charts. I'm pretty sure, for the money I've spent on these mats I could actually get my machinist buddy to make me a mold and I could have made my own. Working in the plastic industry I know exactly what material he makes them out of and I know how to mold things... it's pretty easy.

The main reason I like them is because the capture rate is good and the cleanup is super fast and easy. My previous off-the-shelf highbanker has carpet, miners moss, expanded, riffles, punch plate and v matting in it... The thing takes me 5-10 mins to break down and put back together and the more time I spend taking equipment apart to clean it the less time I'm spending digging.  Also, with many parts like that it's a lot easier to lose pieces or put it together wrong and lose gold.

Offline JOE S (INDY)

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Trapper Creek, Alaska with Winters in Idaho
  • Kudos: 71
  • Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 02:39:40 PM »
Well, those are certainly some great pieces of equipment - with some thoughtful evaluations.  I certainly can't add anything on the Goldwell or the Devin mats - since I haven't found the need / opportunity to use them --- but --- in the end  it all comes down to a few simple things. :

1.  Mining experience - To know what the important factors are for your exact type of processed material are.  NONE of us (unless we are on a claim right next door) have the exact same composition of material as others here.

2.  Engineering experience - Actual training in water and slurry flows, angles, dimensions and hydrodynamics which will actually work in doing exactly what is needed.  Too often a "Talented but Untrained", good hearted person "Just Knows" that their home made wiz-bang is the best ever.  With few to no other "I Just Know" associates to question a decision "The Way It Just Turns Out" becomes "The Best" just by default.   <-shock_> [-1st-]

3.  Fabrication experience.  Only a few of us are actually well trained and experienced in metal crafting - or even in wood construction of equipment.  It takes a lot of hands on experience to take paper drawings and turn them into a high tech, well crafted Gold Getting Machine.  Some can make a better attempt than others - but top notch fabricators wear a lot of hats.

4.  Application experience - To know what specific features in the designs are important for your specific type ground.  Think of all the varieties of soil we work - worldwide  - clay (of 100 different types), silt, sands, small gravel, medium gravel, rounded or fractured or sedimentary (shale or siltstone)  gravels.  The worst I've ever encountered was clay in fractured volcanic rock that had been 'Customized" by glaciers.  Hard pack, loose, river wash or dry land packed gravel.  How about cemented together gravels?  Sandstone or something else?  Over the years we all, individually, pick up some best practices for our difficult soils - but NO ONE knows them all.

For almost all of us we just learn our local soils and deal with those specifics as best as we learn how. 

For example:  in '04 I took my big headed years of mining experience and decided I would meander up to Nome.  When I got there on the beach it took a New York Second to realize that I knew very little about beach mining in Nome.  It took forever to 'sort'a learn' how to deal with those sands and small gravel.  Of course I became a much better different panner after that "Trial by Fire" - but I had gotten myself into an entirely different scope of mining dynamics.

So, try to identify the factors for YOUR area, Learn how to work within those factors and buy / design / modify equipment for your needs.  What I might need where I work (hundreds or thousands of miles away from you) may (or may not) be applicable to your li'l patch of heaven.

Listen to everyone and then pick 'n choose for your needs.

Also - remember - with few exceptions no matter how you get Gold in your concentrates, and how you reduce those concentrates, the last thing you usually use is your pan to get just Gold - eh!

Joe
Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes

Gear Pan
Gold Rat