collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 162 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12977
  • stats Total Posts: 130247
  • stats Total Topics: 18223
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Mission creek  (Read 464 times)

Offline Melcolm77

• New user
  • Province/State: British Columbia
  • Kudos: 0
Mission creek
« on: May 11, 2019, 02:19:18 PM »
Greetings everyone. I'm just driving to Kelowna and was wondering if anyone had some advice on where to pan.

Offline JOE S (INDY)

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Trapper Creek, Alaska with Winters in Idaho
  • Kudos: 72
  • Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes
Re: Mission creek
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 03:36:02 PM »
HMMmmm -  <-thinking->

I think you might have just cut the "Due Diligence, Preliminary Research" a little short this time.

Most, if not almost all of us, would have researched well before actually being on the road to Kelowna - especially since it's very early spring and I would imagine that on a Saturday afternoon almost all the mining folks are out working the streams

Best of luck on that search!     <~ShOcK~>

Joe
Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 132
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 07:18:48 PM »
Good luck.The creeks and rivers are running wild right now.Also takes 2 posts to become a member.Welcome to the site.Luck,Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline Lanny

• Province/State: Alberta
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 09:02:46 AM »
Greetings everyone. I'm just driving to Kelowna and was wondering if anyone had some advice on where to pan.

There are some gold streams in the area, but it's not my stomping grounds. If all else fails, see if you can find a prospecting shop and see if you can get steered in the right direction. As well, not sure if there's a panning preserve in the area or not.

Good luck, and I hope you find a little gold on your trip,

Lanny

Offline Red911

• Complete newbie
  • Kudos: 4
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 01:52:59 PM »

There's plenty of good spots on Mission. You won't find anything crazy, but there's consistent flood gold throughout.

Water's quite high at the moment, so you'll be limited to the banks. Typically the first 6-10 inches of gravels trapped up in boulders/roots on the inside bends where possible is the material you're after.

Most people pan starting from the bridge at S Hollywood Rd (Greenway parking lot), and downstream on to Gerstmar Rd. It's technically regional park, and shovel/pan is fine -there are even signs indicating this near the placer pits, further upstream on the greenway.

Be careful though - she's a roarin' at the moment

Best of luck
"I am not young enough to know everything"
~ Oscar Wylde

Offline Xplore

• Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 14
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 01:02:19 AM »
Red911 - thanks for your insights on Mission Creek!

Heading up to Kelowna this weekend to visit the in-laws, and I was thinking about checking Mission Creek around Holliywood Road for some panning.

The MinFile report below on the Mission Creek placer gold occurence notes the following:

"The MISSION CREEK placer gold occurrence is found in the Mission Creek gravels downstream from an exposure of a Quaternary conglomerate in Gallagher's Canyon. This area is located within the Kelowna City municipal limits, approximately 12 kilometres east of the mouth of Mission Creek.

The conglomerate, which is believed to be the source of the gold, is underlain by epiclastic and pyroclastic rocks of the Eocene Penticton Group, White Lake Formation. These rocks have been thrust westward forming northerly trending, over-turned folds. The Mission Creek fault, located less than a kilometre to the south, exposes gneiss of the Upper Proterozoic Shuswap Metamorphic Complex.

The conglomerate is an interglacial alluvial deposit which is contained within a sequence of gently, eastward sloping glacial tills. "

In other words, it's glacial material in Gallagher's Canyon that is one of the sources of the gold in Mission Creek.

Read the report here:
http://minfile.gov.bc.ca/Summary.aspx?minfilno=082ENW105
North Vancouver, BC

Offline Lanny

• Province/State: Alberta
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 10:51:58 AM »
I'll be in the Kelowna area myself this summer, so maybe I'll take a pan along . . .

All the best,

Lanny

Offline Red911

• Complete newbie
  • Kudos: 4
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 01:54:21 PM »
@Xplore - no problem, glad you found helpful :)

Re: glacial till, yes exactly. Mission draws gold deposits from its intersection with an ancient channel from the Tertiary period.

Some people call it the "Lost River", and there's conjecture that it ran down from Barkerville-area, through the Okanagan and down into the US (25M years ago).

Between tectonics and glacial till, there's obviously no obvious riverbed anymore, but it was heavily deposited with gold.

As such, you will not find anything but trace amounts of gold anywhere upstream of the falls on Mission Creek (which are in the Westbank First Nation reserve). If you head up into Graystokes and try panning there, it's all just microscopic. The gold in Mission Cr is all from the ancient channel, which is pretty damn fascinating!
"I am not young enough to know everything"
~ Oscar Wylde

Gear Pan
Gold Rat