collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Dot Guests: 196 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 1

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13054
  • stats Total Posts: 131630
  • stats Total Topics: 18400
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Mining Claims
Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: crevice hand suction tool  (Read 1203 times)

Offline JOE S (INDY)

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Trapper Creek, Alaska with Winters in Idaho
  • Kudos: 84
Re: crevice hand suction tool
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2019, 06:18:37 PM »
Wording can be very important in things like this.  The oldest (original ?) name I have heard them called is a "Yabbi Pump" from Australia.  Not the PVC plumbing parts version we see now but a professionally made hand suction device to harvest Yabbis (clams). 

Then the basic design came over here and became a favorite small suction device under names like Hand Pump, Gold Sucker and such.  No thought of any problems with using them until someone started calling them a "Hand Dredge".  THAT caught the attention of the nay-sayers who now do their fanatical best to rid the earth of anything with the name "Dredge" associated with it. 

So, Call it a Yabbi Pump, a Gold Sucker or any other socially ambiguous name and they are just "a hand tool of some kind" and they are "legal" and permitted.  Call exactly the same thing a "Hand Dredge" and they instantly become the target for venom from every tree huger on the face of the planet.

There are some who think along the lines that words only convey a very rough approximation of meaning.  The famous quote "Oh, I know what I said, but you should know what I really meant." comes to mind.  How wrong that is!   <~ShOcK~>

The simple fact is that when dealing with laws, rules and regulations, the choice of a specific word can be critical in how it is implemented.  How legal things are implemented results in you being able to use a Yabbi Pump or not.

Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Ontario, but also prospect in BC
  • Kudos: 40
Re: crevice hand suction tool
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2019, 09:56:50 AM »
Then mine is called a "water kisser".
See my YouTube channel for fun amateur video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz8kX6AZOeZbRt0F9XqVJA

Gear Pan
Gold Rat