collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

fishboy3@telus.netmike(swWash)Hardpan82

Dot Guests: 196 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 12904
  • stats Total Posts: 129232
  • stats Total Topics: 18075
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: Another interesting specimen from the claim - Gold in Magnetite  (Read 443 times)

Offline CLHaddon

• Province/State: British Columbia
  • Kudos: 4
Hey guys, since you enjoyed my weird concreted/stacked gold flakes I found recently on the claim I thought you might also be interested in a larger piece of magnetite I found that appears to have several gold inclusions in it. The piece is extremely magnetic and, after poking at one of the inclusions with a needle and seeing it take on a shine instead of shaving off dust I concluded that it is most likely gold.

I'd be interested if any of you have opinions on what you think it might be. After finding this piece I've been sure to study my larger heavies more closely and I also have been stockpiling all the black sand from my concentrates for the past few months and may eventually smelt it all down to see if I can recover any gold just as a fun experiment.

Again, I don't have a good macro lens so I apologize for the poor quality photo. This one was particularly difficult to photograph as any direct light ruined the contrast. Maybe if I keep finding stuff like this it would be a good idea to invest in a cheap macro lens so I can take some higher quality shots. Enjoy!

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: hope bc
  • Kudos: 123
Re: Another interesting specimen from the claim - Gold in Magnetite
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 07:31:55 PM »
Hi.CL seeing as nobody else is biting.I am thinking,Highly compressed,like old sea bed.something that could create a lot of pressure to cement it all together.I would turn that sample into dust and see what is inside.Just a guess luck Mcbain.
I started out with nothing Istill have most of it.

Offline johnedoe

• Kudos: 9
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 07:05:11 AM »
Hey CL.....
Heres a little something that may help you out regarding a macro lense for your phone.
https://youtu.be/tPzPHXwlXSs

Here is another good mod.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07VAjc0F6WE

You can do pretty much the same thing with a magnifying glass and your standard camera as well..
http://www.kirpi.it/Photo/Macro-photography-shots-with-magnifying-lens

Offline Suave

• Kudos: 16
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 08:47:38 PM »
Hey Cyle,

What is the weight of that piece? Gold in magnetite specimens are very rare and I would definitely hang on to that one. Quartz is normally the host rock for gold.

Regards.

Keep On Diggin'_Suave

Offline JOE S (INDY)

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Trapper Creek, Alaska with Winters in Idaho
  • Kudos: 69
  • Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 10:44:50 PM »
I have a thought on this - but only a thought, mind you.   <-unsure_>

If that specimen were crystalline Magnetite (and therefore highly magnetic) then more of a crystalline structure would be seen.  Now, if a mass of Magnetite were heated enough to melt it and then, simultaneously or even prior, molten or even solid Gold were introduced by volcanic activity and then the entire mass cooled, then the non-structured Magnetite could, I suspect, contain the Gold as shown. 

JUST a thought that flew through the void sitting on my shoulders and right behind my eyes  - while trying to reconcile various factors surrounding this specimen.   <-hypnotized->

Gold molecules or even minute pieces are more traditionally found within the structures of Magnetite and results in trace amounts of Gold found in some crystallized Magnetite.
Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Ontario, but also prospect in BC
  • Kudos: 34
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 12:31:24 PM »
When I read the description, I was thinking I would see pyrite in the pic because pyrite crystals are  quite commonly associated with magnetite.  I have trouble viewing the picture, but I would not discount that you have gold from what I see,  but it is odd how the magnetite is eroded and the "gold" seems to protrude. 
See my YouTube channel for fun amateur video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz8kX6AZOeZbRt0F9XqVJA

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 06:44:14 PM »
Hi.Sunshine.That is what me suspect high compression.i think if after time that started to move in a stream the magnetite would start to erode away.Just a thought luck Mcbain.

Offline CLHaddon

• Kudos: 4
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 09:23:08 AM »
All good guesses guys. I've got a trip out to the claim this weekend so I'm away for a few days but when i get back I'll make a macro lens and get some better shots of it that might tell us something.
I also wanted to mention that this made it through my 1/2" classifier so it's not that big but interesting nonetheless.

I might try to see if there's a chemical that will erode some more of the magnetite away and expose more of the gold that might give us a better idea of the structure but I'll research that when I'm back home too.

Offline mcbain

• PPT Invited
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 07:35:49 PM »
Hi.I did not realize how small it is.Muriactic will break it down for you.Even the stuff they uae for swimming pool cleaner works.I have dissolved a lot of stuff by simple putting it in a glass container and letting it sit in the sun for a few days.Works better on a hot plate.Do not want it to boil,just keep it hot.Takes time but will eat up anything iron.Luck Mark.

Offline geezir

• Kudos: 43
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2019, 09:05:32 PM »
The better the macro the shorter the depth of field. To overcome that problem stacking software is used. Multiple shots with different focus are taken and the software "stacks" the areas in focus for an improved depth of field. There are commercial and open source versions.

Gear Pan
Gold Rat