collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

Hardpan82

Dot Guests: 171 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 0

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13003
  • stats Total Posts: 130793
  • stats Total Topics: 18302
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: DIY Vertical Fluid Bed Bucket Contraption - Video  (Read 628 times)

Offline Xplore

• Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 15
DIY Vertical Fluid Bed Bucket Contraption - Video
« on: April 01, 2019, 12:05:51 PM »
This guy claims that his DIY bucket and funnel fluid bed might perform better than the original. Watch the video to find out why!

Solid DIY build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze0MQF4E2mU

North Vancouver, BC

Offline JOE S (INDY)

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Trapper Creek, Alaska with Winters in Idaho
  • Kudos: 79
  • Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes
Re: DIY Gold Rush Nugget Bucket - Video
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 04:25:35 PM »
The situation has been reported  to youtube and to the manufacturer of the Nugget Bucket. 

That kind of thing crushes personal creativity and if any of us had developed a product like that and then had someone hawking "Their Knockoff Idea" on youtube we would have been outraged - right?

Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes

Offline Davidloc

• Province/State: Ontario
  • Kudos: 5
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 05:27:58 PM »
I am all for innovation and DIY if you can make it cheaper but blatantly stealing like that and even naming who you stole the design from in the title of the video is wrong. 

Online Hardpan82

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 05:44:01 PM »
The situation has been reported  to youtube and to the manufacturer of the Nugget Bucket. 

That kind of thing crushes personal creativity and if any of us had developed a product like that and then had someone hawking "Their Knockoff Idea" on youtube we would have been outraged - right?

A little bit of an over reaction I think. The guy was just building a prospecting tool, no different then building a sluice. He called it a DIY nugget bucket, big deal, what else is he gonna call it? A 5 gallon gold panning contraption? Everyone knows what a nugget bucket is and Im sure he meant no harm and was not trying to 'steal' or rip off the nugget bucket. He was simply building and showing people, no different then building and making a video for a sluice or highbanker. Not like this guy is selling them. The guy has 25 subscribers and 65 views. People need to chill out a bit and support fellow miners.

Offline Davidloc

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 06:20:30 PM »
That was my issue with the clip. He titled it "DIY Gold Rush Nugget Bucket" which is the full legal name of the copied product and refers to it directly in the video several times.

Offline JOE S (INDY)

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Trapper Creek, Alaska with Winters in Idaho
  • Kudos: 79
  • Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 08:51:03 PM »
It was reported to all three parties (Youtube, The inventor and the and the video guy) and so now all three of them can resolve it on their own.

*** Update - Just now  I received a classy email from Gold Rush Nugget Bucket - and here it is:

Hi Joe. Thanks for the heads up. Much appreciated. We actually like it when folks post videos on how to make a GRNB. The feedback we get is always “the one we made didn’t work so we’re buying the real thing”. So, in summary, in the end, they help our sales.

Cheers!
GRNB

Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes

Offline Xplore

• Kudos: 15
Re: DIY Vertical Fluid Bed Bucket Contraption - Video
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 09:40:48 AM »
Changed the title of my post to not include the trademarked name - sorry about that everyone. I will be more careful in the future.

For every piece of prospecting gear someone will try a DIY version(s).

Some will work, and some won't.

The inventor is correct - it all ends up increasing awareness about the original product, and acting as an advertisement of sorts.

The point I wanted to share is that the DIY'ers increase innovation in gold prospecting because sometimes they do find improvements that the inventor may not have thought of.

It's the DIY'ers who are in the trenches building, experimenting and doing R&D that the inventor may not have the time for, or incentive, to do.

Patent law is there to protect the inventor, as is trademark law.

I agree he probably shouldn't have used the original name in the title, but then again, I was searching for "Product Name" + "DIY", so I wouldn't have found his video otherwise as it was hard enough to find in the beginning.

North Vancouver, BC

Offline Davidloc

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 10:33:28 AM »
My sentiments exactly , don't use someone else's name or work and DIY is fine.  The ATX is a good detector but with a set of Grey Ghost amphibians and learning how the threshold works makes it pretty awesome even for 50+ mesh gold. I had to properly lubricate and seal everything because it was not the way I liked it. Gold Hog , good sluices but I added some Dream Mat and punch plates to make it better. Dream Cube is a clean up tool but a very high speed one so I modified it to clean up what the Gold Hog throws at it.  A Clay Bucket Buster design that I loved on Youtube was tried and it impressed me so I will feed the sluice with a modified version of that. Even the 35$ "Spanner Tool" from Garrett was replaced by a free coat hanger that wasn't made to cheat Garrett out of money it was made because it works better.

Because of the way marketing , sponsorship and patents work the inventors can't incorporate a competitor's better designed components into there own product but instead ignore the improved design and have to re-invent the wheel to even equal it. That leaves it up to the customer to find the deficiencies and remove/replace them with better working parts. 

Gold prospecting is almost like a religion and everyone says that their product is the best and you will be damned for eternity if you don't have it but someone has to be wrong or maybe just partially right.  I would like to see a "conglomerate" product were the best of each device is incorporated into it and all of the contributors retain their respective patents but the end product belongs to all members of the conglomerate.

Offline diamond jim

• PPT Invited
  • Kudos: 11
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 07:08:44 PM »
Is the GRNB patented? If not, there's no protection against copies. That said, using the original name is a bit
over-the-top, IMHO. If it is patented, at least in the US, it's patent violation to post instructions on how to build one. I know the guy that patented the "Jabbit Sluice Stand". Great idea. I'd love to post instructions for it, but I wouldn't on moral grounds, but also because I like the guy, and also because it would be a patent violation, and make me liable for damages. Under current patent law in the US (changed in 2012) it's now illegal to even make a patented device for your own use while the patent is still active. The old patent laws allowed that.
EDIT:
 I'd be surprised if the original Nugget Bucket was patented, however. It's just not novel and unobvious enough.
Jim

Gear Pan
Gold Rat