collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Who's Online

pascalfortier

Dot Guests: 185 | Dot Users
Dot Hidden: 1

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 13003
  • stats Total Posts: 130784
  • stats Total Topics: 18301
  • stats Total Categories: 5
  • stats Total Boards: 48
  • stats Most Online: 814

* Advertisers

Gear Pan
The lil Gold Spinner
BC GOLD
The lil Gold Spinner
The Pocket Sluice

Author Topic: What kind of gold is this?  (Read 1030 times)

Offline CLHaddon

• Province/State: British Columbia
  • Kudos: 5
What kind of gold is this?
« on: March 31, 2019, 10:25:12 PM »
Hey guys, I was out prospecting this weekend and found some really interesting pieces of gold. They look like several pieces that have all been river worn and then stuck together again. They're very dark/discoloured and look like they'd break apart fairly easily. I haven't tried cleaning them at all just because I'm so curious about them. I'm honestly wondering if this is how the gold formed in this particular area and then later get broken apart into "flakes" that look far more worn than they actually are. I suspect that some of it may also be platinum. Have any of you found anything like this before?

P.S. I apologize for the photo quality it's better to view it in a smaller size. I'll see if I can get a macro lens working if anyone wants it.

Offline Lanny

• Kudos: 2
Re: What kind of gold is this?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 07:53:39 AM »
The only gold I've found like this was when I used to dredge, and we'd find pieces stuck together with the same material that makes concretion: concretion is kind of like nature's concrete, so the material that sticks the rocks together, also sticks the flakes together.

So, that's my only experience with finding flakes or nuggets stuck together.

Nice picture, and nice finds.

All the best,

Lanny

Offline Suave

• Kudos: 19
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 08:19:24 AM »
Some nice gold sir! Love to see that.

Keep On Diggin'_Suave

Offline JOE S (INDY)

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Trapper Creek, Alaska with Winters in Idaho
  • Kudos: 79
  • Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 01:35:12 PM »
15 years ago I spent 3 weeks mining at a grandfathered inholding within a National Park in Alaska.   I found a nugget that was comprised of several other, smaller, nuggets - which I can only surmise was cold fused due to the weight of a glacier or, the reverse, the heat of a volcano.  Both had happened in the same area over a long stretch of time. 

Incredibly distinctive and a treat to see.
Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes

Offline Xplore

• Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 15
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 09:49:40 AM »
Amazing! Thanks for sharing.
North Vancouver, BC

Offline sunshine

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Ontario, but also prospect in BC
  • Kudos: 39
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 09:01:15 AM »
Love it.  Self stacking gold.  I have never seen that before.   I would be tempted to sacrifice one by soaking in muriatic acid which ought to clean the gold and maybe separate the pieces if they are stuck together with calcite or calcium...just to satisfy my curiosity.  Thanks for sharing.
See my YouTube channel for fun amateur video:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnz8kX6AZOeZbRt0F9XqVJA

Offline Kootenay Gold

• Province/State: BC
  • Kudos: 7
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 01:30:59 PM »
might want to be careful with the acid or heating, could be mercury involved
If you can't recognise opportunity you can't take advantage of it!

Offline JOE S (INDY)

• PPT Invited
  • Province/State: Trapper Creek, Alaska with Winters in Idaho
  • Kudos: 79
  • Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 01:36:07 AM »
Kootenay,

Certainly one of THE first things to do is to check for any presence of Mercury (from either natural sources or prior mining) before ever considering heating concentrates or using certain acids. 

Muriatic is diluted Hydrochloric Acid and has no effect on liquid Mercury (although other Acids might or will react with  it).

Wiser Mining Through Endless Personal Mistakes

Offline CLHaddon

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 01:02:20 PM »
Thanks for the warnings guys but I do have a fair bit of experience in safe handling of the various chemicals involved with refining as well as elemental mercury(which isn't as dangerous as people would like you to believe). The real danger is with mercury salts and various other forms that your body is actually capable of absorbing. Finding a mercury amalgam on the Fraser and taking it home isn't going to give your whole family brain tumors while they sleep.

All that being said, I decided I'm going to keep these as specimens since they're relatively small anyway the chemicals I'd have to use to clean them or separate them would cost more than the gold I'd recover. I like having interesting specimens and it's pretty cool to hear that they're relatively rare to find. These ones are staying in my own personal collection.

Offline Suave

• Kudos: 19
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 08:55:37 PM »
Hey guys, I was out prospecting this weekend and found some really interesting pieces of gold. They look like several pieces that have all been river worn and then stuck together again. They're very dark/discoloured and look like they'd break apart fairly easily. I haven't tried cleaning them at all just because I'm so curious about them. I'm honestly wondering if this is how the gold formed in this particular area and then later get broken apart into "flakes" that look far more worn than they actually are. I suspect that some of it may also be platinum. Have any of you found anything like this before?

P.S. I apologize for the photo quality it's better to view it in a smaller size. I'll see if I can get a macro lens working if anyone wants it.

Another great specimen to hang onto. Gold is soft and somewhat like bubble gum. When subjected to pressure, like from the weight of a large boulder, pieces will cold-fuse together. Great sample, nonetheless!

Keep On Diggin'_Suave

Gear Pan
Gold Rat